Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

HP to Time ratio

Well I'm still running around in my V6 firebird, wanting to sell it and buy an LS1, when my friend's and I decided to go street racing against a couple of Turbo Civics and an STI. Now these guys were cool and nice and all, but lets face it...I want to beat them, badly. My friend offered to let each of the Ricers use his G-Tech and we started doin timed runs. This lead me to my following question....

Does anyone have a 'rough' estimate on how much RWHP (or flywheel/engine HP) you need to clock off 12sec 1/4miles in an LS1 M6 with 373s?

I'm still trying to sell my Firebird and buy an LS1, but trust me the LS1 wont be stock for long and while i know that there is always someone faster than you, it seems that anything under 12 secs around here is gonna earn you some respect. Thanks for any imput.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

My guess is somewhere around 400 at the wheels if he can drive. If hes a really good driver youll need a little less. Dont forget about traction. HP dont mean shit if you cant hook.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

If your talking LS1 running 12's then you hardly need any thing. Lid, LT headers, and exhuast. and you would more than likely hit high 12's. Doesnt take too much with the LS1, if its an A4 you may get high 12's with lid and Torque converter.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    My guess is somewhere around 400 at the wheels if he can drive. If hes a really good driver youll need a little less. Dont forget about traction. HP dont mean shit if you cant hook.
    400 at the wheels in F-bod should have you in high 11's or low 12's if they can hook up.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

M6=4.10

A4=3.73

just my .02$
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    400 at the wheels in F-bod should have you in high 11's or low 12's if they can hook up.
    Didnt he want a 12 flat time?? If so thats what you need. But if you wanna break into the 12's, full exhaust, lid and some DR's are gonna do it.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

gears, drag radials, and weight reduction will all help you transfer the power your already making putting you into the 12s

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Didnt he want a 12 flat time?? If so thats what you need. But if you wanna break into the 12's, full exhaust, lid and some DR's are gonna do it.
    he never said a 12 flat. But that would make more sense of what you said.

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

OK to be a little more specific....

I just went to my bank yesterday and got my FireBird payed off and it's now for sale. I asked how much they'd finace me on a new car and it's quite a bit so I think i'm gonna get something badass So why not get an LS1? After all, I can't think of any car out there better looking than a FireHawk Formula.

Now I'll have about $2k left over after insurance and taxes and all that crap. My goal is to have one very fast Formula or T/A. Sub 12s is the goal. Just wanna know what I need to be shooting for in terms of HP with an M6 and 373s in the rear. Hope that clears it up. And on a side note, the STi ran 12.5 in the quarter and I HAVE to beat him!!! He's like the leader of the Ricers in town.

Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransAm View Post

I just went to my bank yesterday and got my FireBird payed off and it's now for sale. I asked how much they'd finace me on a new car and it's quite a bit so I think i'm gonna get something badass So why not get an LS1? After all, I can't think of any car out there better looking than a FireHawk Formula.

Now I'll have about $2k left over after insurance and taxes and all that crap. My goal is to have one very fast Formula or T/A. Sub 12s is the goal. Just wanna know what I need to be shooting for in terms of HP with an M6 and 373s in the rear. Hope that clears it up. And on a side note, the STi ran 12.5 in the quarter and I HAVE to beat him!!! He's like the leader of the Ricers in town.
    im thinking you want an LS1 for all the wrong reasons... you shouldnt want to just beat the "head ricer"

sounds to me your a big dreamer

Red
    2000 Z28

Have you checked to see how much insurance is gonna cost you? I see your 21.

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by TransDreamer View Post
    im thinking you want an LS1 for all the wrong reasons... you shouldnt want to just beat the "head ricer"

sounds to me your a big dreamer
    Ah thats harsh. I want an LS1 cuase I've wanted an LS1 since they went into the FBodies in '98. I just have no intention of leaving it stock. Or losing to any Ricers.

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    Have you checked to see how much insurance is gonna cost you? I see your 21.
    Ya I figured that into the cost when I went to the bank. Thanks for the HeadsUp tho.

State Farm quoted me $1100 every 6 Months with Full Coverage and $500 Deductables. Witch is only $200 more than what I was paying on my FireBird with my current auto insurnace USAA. And the only reason I had to even get a loan on the Bird was to use it as Collateral for my 2005 GSXR 600. The bank was screwing me over telling me they'd only give me 24 months to pay off a Bike at 18%. And to fully insure the bike was $6000 a year! So that's why I dont already have an LS1. But I will very very soon.

Red
    2000 Z28

That doesn't sound too bad. I've heard of some guys payng a LOT for insurance on these cars.

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

I'm 21 with Geico and pay $110/mo full coverage, but i'm also discounted for being military....

Pewter Metallic (1of?)
    2001 Formula M6(1 of 225)

I have intake, no cats, loudmouth, 4.10s (M6) and a tune. 12.8 has been my best so far on street tires, gonna run slicks next time, but it'll take down my times because i don't want to frag my rearend

05 gto impulse blue
    00 WS6 custom paint

The most accurate statement i've heard so far are 400hp= high 11's low 12's.
    I've seen a 01 ws6 m6 run a 12.7 with cat back exhaust, hypertech quick time et's. But $2000 isnt going to get you very far. especially if you dont do your own work. for 2g's your best bet is inexpensive lt's, ory, catback, tires and a tune. unless you wanna spray, and honestly at 21 and a ls1 firsttimer your ganna blow it up on spray

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

$2000 will get you full exhaust and labor easily (cheapest route--pacesetter long tube headers off road Y-pipe and a cutout), whatever is left put aside til u can save up for a CAM (a healthy one to include upgraded valvetrain)and a tune. But DO be careful cause once you start the upgrade process it is really addictive . It won't take long and all you will see are the STi's headlights in your rearview.

And noone can stress it enough, TRACTION is a huge issue...

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

Take a V6 firbird and convert it to a V8. Then insurance will be cheap.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransAm View Post

hahaha leader of the ricers, that was funny.
    if ure gonna race that sti i seriously suggest DRs no matter what u do, ure gonna need the traction especially right off the line he's gonna kill u by about 3 car lengths. you'll catch up top end dont worry if u do the simple things all these guys have suggested. exhaust, lid, LTs... without the mods ure gonna be seeing his tailights the whole way down the track.
    good luck, and make DAMN SURE u dont come back here unless u beat that sti haha sorry i have a personal hatred for STIs....

Thread Information