Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how long did it take you to drive a stick?

about how long does it take to learn to drive a stick?? if i bought an m6 do you think in a week i would be able to drive it fine? how long did it take you to learn??

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I knew before I got my license.
    Learned on a 1982 F-250HD. Took maybe an hour. Then it just took a few days to really learn the feel of it.
    Always takes me a couple hours driving a car to really get the feel for the clutch.

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

A week is plenty of time, especially if it's in a car that you can't wait to drive. Do you have anyone to at least teach you the basics?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

When I bought my car I didn't know how. I learned on the drive home...no joke. I knew how to do it, I just had never done it before. I stayed in a parking lot until I had it kind of figured out and then I drove it home. It wasn't pretty though let me tell you. But it shouldn't take you any time at all.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    When I bought my car I didn't know how. I learned on the drive home...no joke. I knew how to do it, I just had never done it before. I stayed in a parking lot until I had it kind of figured out and then I drove it home. It wasn't pretty though let me tell you. But it shouldn't take you any time at all.
    ARE YOU SERIOUS?! jeeeeze...poor clutch!

i learned on a few dump trucks that my brother had

Not a Junior Member

Black
    98 Trans Am M6

I learned to drive stick on my TA. Like Rhinohuey, I read up on the basics, but I never really drove a stick until I bought my TA. By the 3rd day I stopped stalling and I stalled less than 10 times altogether in my learning process. Having a badass car that you can't wait to master helps too!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    ARE YOU SERIOUS?! jeeeeze...poor clutch!

i learned on a few dump trucks that my brother had
    100%. My dad wasn't able to help me that day becuase of work, but I was itching to pick the car and drive it. You know whats funny though...I'm now having some kind of clutch problms! (Its been about a month since I got the car.) I'm having it checked out on Tuesday though.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Distant Zen View Post
    I learned to drive stick on my TA. Like Rhinohuey, I read up on the basics, but I never really drove a stick until I bought my TA. By the 3rd day I stopped stalling and I stalled less than 10 times altogether in my learning process. Having a badass car that you can't wait to master helps too!
    The car definatley helps, but HAVING to do it helps the most. Took me to about the 3rd day also before I had it completely down.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

i learned in my 89 bronco. But each car is different. Some times i still miss a gear. And about a week ago i stalled when going from reverse to 1st.

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6

Ha so did i. I coudnt even test drive it. I did better in reverse than drive. I staled it a bunch but no clutch burning smell. I also had to drive to work the next day and it was raining later that night i picked her up. I had to drive in the rain and learn the stick.

i kind of can drive it but im still learning.. i learned on my moms hyundai but thats a P.O.S and i figured a car like the trans am would be harder to drive.. i cant take off very fast at all i have to go slow to feel the clutch but that goes away with time right?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001somws6 View Post
    Ha so did i. I coudnt even test drive it. I did better in reverse than drive. I staled it a bunch but no clutch burning smell. I also had to drive to work the next day and it was raining later that night i picked her up. I had to drive in the rain and learn the stick.
    My dad test drove the car for me a couple of weeks before. For some reason I did a lot better in reverse also. The first couple of days I had the car I was real scared of burning the clutch (a lot of people I know burnt their clutch when they learned) so I was always really careful not to slip it as much as I could help. (As careful as I could be, just learning...having to drive it in traffic.)

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    i kind of can drive it but im still learning.. i learned on my moms hyundai but thats a P.O.S and i figured a car like the trans am would be harder to drive.. i cant take off very fast at all i have to go slow to feel the clutch but that goes away with time right?
    You won't have a problem. Just go slow with the clutch and dont worry about people behind you. Thats what I did.

And, just have someone drop you off about 20 miles from home with your car. You'll definately learn how to drive it then. Haha, just kidding.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

my dad let me take out his 64 plymonth valiant that was a 3 speed on the columm. We had lots of dirt roads for me to learn on. I was only 14 and I taught myself. I bugged my dad till he threw me the keys lol. It took me a few times out and wasnt long till I jerked out the clutch doing burnouts on wood bridges lol

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    my dad let me take out his 64 plymonth valiant that was a 3 speed on the columm. We had lots of dirt roads for me to learn on. I was only 14 and I taught myself. I bugged my dad till he threw me the keys lol. It took me a few times out and wasnt long till I jerked out the clutch doing burnouts on wood bridges lol
    I've never driven a column shift car. It seems like it would be really hard. I kind of want to try it though.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

I leart on a 1949 chev 1 ton when I was like 15. It didnt take long to get the hang of it. A week if more than enough time.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I "learned" at 14... dad went to pick up a new truck.. and drove his Renault 5-speed. Got out and threw me the keys to his renault and said follow me. I was like SWEET! got in and noticed the shifter and 3 pedals.. I was like WTF?? The key didn't work.... then I was oh yeah.. gotta put in the pedal.. got it started! YEAH! Pulled the foot off the pedal and it died.. Tried it again.. same result. A thirt time and I tried the gas... started to move.. then died... this went on for about 45 seconds.. by this time dad is down the road where I can't see him.. oh did I mention I am 50 miles from hom and don't know how to get home? Lol... finally I said fuck it and revved the shit out of it and got it moving.. granted I was squeeling the shit out of the tires.. knew I needed to shift it.. pedal then found second (not were nicely either.. lol.. then still squeeling... continured till 4th gear.. where I started getting the hand of it... FINALLY caught up to dad,.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Arctic White
    2001 WS.6

I thought my girlfriend to drive her jeep in an afternoon. It really only takes 10 minutes to learn what to do, but it takes a few days to really get comfortable with it.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

The first time I was in a STD I HAD to learn because I bought the car so I had to get it home I reved it and dumped the clutch to get it moving it was easy once it was on the move just getting started was tricky by the time I got home I had the hang of it.

98T/Aformula
    Same here lol It was just my dd though but it was a shakey drive home I tryed going from 5th to 4th and hit 2nd lol but im glad I had to learn that way...now driving stick is nothing it only took me a few days to get it, driving through Denver the next day was no ez task but pretty funny.

Thread Information