RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

How does a LS1 become a stroker?

I love cars especially my 02 SS. Know a bit about cars but obviously not enough. So my question to yal is, how does a LS1go from being just that to becoming a Stroker? Or for that matter any motor that is stroked. I would like to learn more about this and your insight on this matter is greatly appreciated. Gracias.
    Last edited by SAGGIN; 01-21-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

Stroker Motor (def.)
    A motor that has greater than stock displacement due to an increase in the factory crank throw. An increase in crank throw increases stroke (the difference between the piston's top dead center and bottom dead center position).

I have the website where i got this from, dont know if i can post it. but just google it, google has all the answers =)

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

But to answer your question, getting a stroker kit would for the most part have a new crank, pistons and rods. So you would replace the lower end of the ls1 with the new parts and boom, you have a stroker. (Yeah I know I am missing out alot of info, this is just the quick answer)

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Most common way of people doing it with LSx's is with a LQ9 or LQ4 iron block or LS2 aluminum block... which both have a 4.00 inch bore.

Throw a 4" stroker crankshaft in there and you magically have a 402 CI

1966 Corvette Coupe

ok let's think of this as a 1 piston thing... your crank basically takes one end of your rod and moved it around in a circular partern of which the radius is your stroke... this pulls your piston from Top to bottom of your stroke...

if you increase the radius of this circle you have a lower bottom dead center and a higher top dead center... to keep from pushing your pistons out the top you throw on some shorter rods... (along with possibly trimming some stuff around the block for clearance... and Boom you have a stroker...

-me

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pjeff7 View Post
    But to answer your question, getting a stroker kit would for the most part have a new crank, pistons and rods. So you would replace the lower end of the ls1 with the new parts and boom, you have a stroker. (Yeah I know I am missing out alot of info, this is just the quick answer)
    Not many people stroke a LS1 block. For one it has a 3.89 bore. Usually most peoples turn off... that means you would have to re-sleeve it for a larger bore ie. 4"

By the time you did that you could have bought a LQ4/LQ9/LS2 block for way cheaper.

Thread Information