Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

how do i tell if my ws6 has a ls6 block

I have heard that some 2002 ws6 came with ls6 blocks because they ran out of ls1 and they are collectable. my ws6 is a 2001 and i heard that they did produce a few 01 ws6 with ls6 blocks. the numer of them is much less. How would i tell if it is. i am gessing the block serial number. Or is this story about ws6 having ls6 blocks not true. if anyone knows anyting about this i would like to know more about it.

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

its true, look on the driver side door where the rpo codes are at. i think it should say ls6 then you have a ls6.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The only way to determine if you have an LS6 block in your fbody is to do the following:

Look for 12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off).

There is no RPO code to signify that you have an LS6 block in your fbody.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The only way to determine if you have an LS6 block in your fbody is to do the following:

Look for 12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off).

There is no RPO code to signify that you have an LS6 block in your fbody.
    yup i was wrong on part. haha

black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

If i does is my car worth more. More collectable. Or is it worth the same.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by spws6 View Post
    Your car is worth what someone will give you for it. Its not collectible. Generally, people don't pay more for fbodies that had the LS6 block.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Your car is worth what someone will give you for it. Its not collectible. Generally, people don't pay more for fbodies that had the LS6 block.
    what years did they put them in? did they have to have an ls6 intake to have the ls6 block?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    what years did they put them in? did they have to have an ls6 intake to have the ls6 block?
    5-10% of the '01 models have the LS6 block and I believe 25% of the '02 models got the LS6 block. 98-00 did not receive any LS6 blocks.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

thats crazy but at the same time kinda cool. how much more hp does the ls6 produce over ls1?

2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    thats crazy but at the same time kinda cool. how much more hp does the ls6 produce over ls1?
    NONE.

As stated above the part number one the block is the only way to be certain you have a LS6 block rather than an LS1....BUT....BUT there is also a bullseye mark on the front of LS1 blocks right under the coolant crossover tube. I read that you can't identify if its an LS1 or LS6 block just by that....BUT can ANYBODY verify a LS1 without it OR a LS6 with it???? I have owned 3 02 LS1 cars. 2 had LS1 blocks and one (my orange car) had an LS6 block. Both LS1 cars had the bullseye and the LS6 didn't. I have looked and all pre 02 cars that I know are LS1s have the mark. SO...can anybody VERIFY that the bullseye mark isnt an all but certain way of identifing a LS1 vs LS6 block? Its MUCH easier to look there than it is at the part number on the block.

With that said...there is NO PERFORMANCE difference at all between the two...thats been gone over a million times. Its just cool to know which one your car has IMO.
    2002 SUNSET ORANGE METALLIC WS6 #8497
    1996 ARTIC WHITE TRANS AM WS6
    1987 BRIGHT RED FORMULA 350
    1978 Trans Am SE

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by spws6 View Post
    not at this time but mabe in 20 years that may cange.

thanks for the mark info 97ramsst

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

^ disagree ^ the differences between the two blocks is virtually none existant therefore there is no reason for it to at ANY point become more valuable or collectable especially with the numbers that have them. This isn't a handful this is 20% thats not that rare...

Really people this is one of those things that are probably the most insignificant when it comes to your car...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

mine has said "bullseye" so i guess its a ls1 block,but when i put a ls6 in it, it then will have a ls6 block.

2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    ^ disagree ^ the differences between the two blocks is virtually none existant therefore there is no reason for it to at ANY point become more valuable or collectable especially with the numbers that have them. This isn't a handful this is 20% thats not that rare...

Really people this is one of those things that are probably the most insignificant when it comes to your car...
    The funny thing is its the 80% of the people that have the LS1 block that preaches about how insignificant it is and how it doesnt matter...ALMOST to the point of being offened by it (I have seen those posts before!)

But on the other hand it doesnt matter anymore than what # your car is...but its still cool to know.

ALSO it wasnt just WS6s that got LS6 blocks...any V8 F-body was just as subject to it. SS, Z28, TA, Formula...so on.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 97ramsst View Post
    The funny thing is its the 80% of the people that have the LS1 block that preaches about how insignificant it is and how it doesnt matter...ALMOST to the point of being offened by it (I have seen those posts before!)

But on the other hand it doesnt matter anymore than what # your car is...but its still cool to know.

ALSO it wasnt just WS6s that got LS6 blocks...any V8 F-body was just as subject to it. SS, Z28, TA, Formula...so on.
    I think its cool no matter the insignifigant difference, colector car or not. Wish my 00 had one, kno thats not possible.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post

your right it is insignificant but like the old rides of the 60's its just one more thing to set your car off from the rest of them out there. so it may or may not help the price down the road but only time will tell on that.

2002 Trans Am WS6

Like I said, its basicaly going to be something for the LS6 block car owners to brag about and the LS1 block owners will downplay...I DOUBT seriously anyone will go out looking for a LS6 blocked car over a LS1 one. The color and trans type are whats going to seperate these cars in a few years since most were optioned very close to the same (except the 1LE cars...but thats another story.)

Black w/ red race stripes
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by WS6ICK2K View Post
    I think its cool no matter the insignifigant difference, colector car or not. Wish my 00 had one, kno thats not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    your right it is insignificant but like the old rides of the 60's its just one more thing to set your car off from the rest of them out there. so it may or may not help the price down the road but only time will tell on that.
    Hell yeah, I think it would be cool to find out you have something slightly different than the rest, even if the '01 and later LS1 blocks are for the most part identical. Still wanted to run and check my casting number when I heard about it lol

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 97ramsst View Post

doesn't bother me one bit infact my car has the ls6 block or as far as I know it does because it lacks the bullseye... The only point I'm trying to make is its not going to matter for collectability which was the point I was refering to. Whether it interests you so that it sets you apart thats fine what ever floats your boat its just quite simply insignificant...

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

LS6 Block info

Read this:

Thread Information