BLACK
    2000 WS6

How to clean Under the Hood???

Hi I want to clean my trans am WS6 under the hood its a 2000, does anybody have any tips on cleaning and what the best way to clean it is, Also whats the best way to removes scratches from your paint?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I just cover the computer with a towel and hose it all off.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I just cover the computer with a towel and hose it all off.
    That's just insane...do not douse your engine with a hose! I'm sure there is a sticky somewhere on how to clean up the engine bay. I talked to a guy who said simple gree and a towl did the trick pretty well. Just please don't hose off your engine.

Black
    79 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    That's just insane...do not douse your engine with a hose! I'm sure there is a sticky somewhere on how to clean up the engine bay. I talked to a guy who said simple gree and a towl did the trick pretty well. Just please don't hose off your engine.
    Granted there is no computer on my 79, but I use simple green to clean the engine bay

Pewter
    '00 SS

There is a sticky in the appearance section I believe. I use CD2 and follow the directions on the can.
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

If you go to auto zone there is this stuff called DC2 that I use with and some thing soft with a fine tip and a rag and some comprrest air

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I use Simple Green diluted with water 50/50 ratio. Spray the engine bay and I too avoid the PCM, air lid and the fuse boxes. The last two I spot clean the tops. Let sit for no more then 10 mins during that time I take a soft brush and rags and go over the areas that have grim built up. Next I rinse with the hose on a soft low pressure setting and lastly I get some non-lint towels and dry all that I can off. I'll do a quick start up to make sure no issues then let it sit and dry out. For shows I have a bottle of Windex to keep any road dust off from the drive.

As long as you do not flood the engine bay under high pressure you should have no issues.

I usually only do this during the warm weather (Mar through Early Nov) so I know the heat will evaporate the water.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I cant ship any of my cleaning stuff. Looks like I am gonna clean up my engine today. Didnt even think about it until I saw this.

I personally have only used CD2 and it worked great. Now, my Dad is all about the simple green/water 50/50 thing. Uses it on his ole school car and his truck. Never has any issues.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I found an old pic after I had to do a major clean up from my PSP leaking on the alternator.

I went from this...

To this using the above method.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    Not insane. That's what most guys do. Never had a problem and you could eat off my engine compartment.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I spray the engine bay with degreaser, let it sit a few minutes and then hose it off. Avoiding the PCM and fuse boxes best I can of course. Then I use my leaf blower to dry it.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Not insane. That's what most guys do. Never had a problem and you could eat off my engine compartment.

Click for full size
    this..

Hell I pressure washed mine without issue.. Did'nt cover anything either just avoided shooting the pcm.

Do the same with my H3 aswell..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.

BLACK
    2000 WS6

Is steam cleaning or pressure cleaning ok? also do you have to disconnect the battery?

Pewter
    '00 SS

Just avoid electric shit and u will be fine. Smittro says he pressure washs his with no issues

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

i hose mine off first to get all the dirt off, and if i have heavy grease deposit i use a product call gunk off to get all the grease out, then i use cd2 turn the engine on and let it penetrate the engine for 15 minutes, after that i let it cool down for bout 20 minutes and wipe the run off's. I've been doing this ever since my first f-bodie and that was back wen i was 17, i never had a problem and my engine bay looks great, just ask spikito lol
    Last edited by reaper ws6; 05-29-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

After washing things down and drying everything by hand, I always start the engine and let it run for a while to dry everything else off that you can not get to by hand. The knock sensors in the valley cover have been known to have issues with water.

Thread Information