Navy blue Metallic
    2002 trans am

HELP! T/A door panel separating

Anybody ever hear of the drivers side fiberglass outer door panel separating from the rest of the door? I can see where it looks like its cracking apart in the seam right under the mirror. Anybody have any ideas on the best way to fix or replace this and the cost?

sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Yup. I had a 94 Z28 with that issue. I think it was stolen at some point before I owened it and they broke the door trying to pry it open. I took it to a body shop and they tried to use adhesive to hold it together, but it didn't take. I'd just get another door if I were you.

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

when you open your door do you pull the handle..........if you do i recommend you grab the inside part of the door and pull out, instead of using the door handle

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

I barely remember, its been several years ago since I had that Z28. I would try to gently pull up on the door handle and then grab a lower spot on the door to open where it wasn't split or grab the inside of the door. Then I would just pull the door closed gently.

Red
    1998 WS6 Trans Am

i've had this happen to my 98 ws6 driver door. could partially be that my window pushes when all the way down. also when door was sagging, it got worse, paid 400 to have it all fixed, now its screwing up again. it's shit. i'm thinking about getting lambo doors just to help it not sag and also since they open so wide, the vertical opening would allow me to park in smaller spaces instead of parking with 100 feet on each side of car so both doors can open... (slight sarcasm but very very slight)

NBM
    99 Trans am

I've had two 4th gen f-bodys do this. The bad thing for you is that it's the fwd section of the skin. Take it to a body shop and they will take the door off and reapply some sealant and send you on your way. It will probably hold for a while but will come un done again for sure.
    The hard part is getting in there to clean out the old adhesive without pulling more of the skin off. Without creating a proper surface for the new adhesive to bond with, it will eventually come apart again. You can see how this could turn into a can of worms!

BTW i had a body shop fix mine for approx $250. It lasted about 3 months. That's when they told me the proper fix was to pull the whole skin off then clean and re-glue it. They also told me that would be pricey.

Good luck!

Navy blue Metallic
    2002 trans am

Yeah, what a shitty situation. This was a small little crack when I bought the car last Feb. now its about 6" or so long. I wonder how much it would be to get it fixed right. I really don't have the money to get screwed by a body shop. I wish I had a reputable shop already!

Red
    1998 WS6 Trans Am

this sucks. i even had a gm body shop do the repair. they replaced hinge, re-aligned door, and re-attached the skin.

less than a year later, door saggin again, skin is gradually getting worse and breaking the seal more and more. i hate lifting the damn door to make it not clip and chip away at the fiberglass on the door panel.

Thread Information