01 WS6

Help Picking out Performance

Hey guys, I was wondering if I can get some help. Ive been sitting on my 01 WS6 for about three years and have finally decided I want to put some more performance into it. its a 6 speed and right now has long tube kooks headers, and off road y pipe and a corsa exhaust with a k and n filter. I drive it maybe two months out of the year and am interested in having a car that sounds amazing and is really fast before I go to the track.

I was looking into getting a throttle body, intake manifold, a head and cam package, a tune, and whatever else I may need so I do not damage my car.(drivetrain etc..) I was hoping I could get some suggestions? And some direction as to what I need to make my scenario work. ( I woud love to get as much power out of this as possible once tuned)

My largest priority is to have a large amount of power that sounds amazing that does not stall easily where I need to keep reving it up to keep it going so I can still drive it easily on the street.

I do not believe that I will be ever using a supercharger on the car, So I was looking for the best bang for my buck without having to get forced induction. I would appreciate any help or suggestion that I can get so I can get the parts on order and finish this before the holidays.

Thank you!!!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

9 inch rearend from Midwest Fab
    Cam and supporting mods.

LS6 intake is pretty decent and you already have it. Not sure I would worry about a FAST intake until you do heads.

Tune.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Your cam selection will be dependent on how "streetable" you want your car to be. Since you don't drive your car often, you can probably get a larger cam and still be happy with how it drives on the street. A tune will be the key factor when considering surge with any cam install though.

What is your budget and what is your ultimate goal? What is "really fast" to you? Some people think that our cars completely stock are really fast and others think an 11 sec car isn't really fast. Those terms are very generic and mean different things to each person.

01 WS6

I would love to have over 475 rwhp. And I have about $5000 saved up over the past couple years to use towards this purchase. I was gonna just pay for the parts and charge the labor at a place that offers a good warranty on their labor.

I was looking at the concept of doing it once and doing it right. I wanted to add all the main components first, like the heads and cam and get rid of the pricier things up front. That way I can build from it in the future.

I am really not a smooth tech person and I really do appreciate the help that I can get. Thank you.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I could be wrong but I don't think you can hit over 475rwhp on a H/C/I set-up on a 346ci motor unless you go with a ridiculously large cam, which you probably won't like driving on the street.

silver
    2002 Trans AM

Sounds like you are going for the same setup as me. I'm doing Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, cam (not sure how big yet since it is not my DD) and going to have my heads milled. My car is a 6 speed also. The guy who is doing the work has a 2000 camaro with the exact same setup and his car made just under 450RWHP. I'm also doing a 3" true dual to the bumper with Spintech mufflers and am keeping the LS6 intake for now. getting all the suspension mods put on now then will do the engine work so I should have HP #'s hopefully by middle of October. Cam, head work, install and tuning should run around $2000.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

First things first.....
    NEVER set a dyno goal.

All dynos read a bit different...plus it is much more important you are happy with how the car performs than any number a dyno will give you.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    First things first.....
    NEVER set a dyno goal.

All dynos read a bit different...plus it is much more important you are happy with how the car performs than any number a dyno will give you.

<-- dyno 388 HP 364TQ
    12.16@119 1.83 60'
    friend that i was racing that night in his 06 GTO 476HP 465TQ beat him everytime. his best was a 12.22
    dynos mean nothing and TO much power is not always thing like lous said NEVER set your sights on that HP number you will be disapointed. with to much N/A power since your power band will be so high you will never use it and the grin factor will be low

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Buy a good rear end, clutch, and some drag rims/drag tires before going into the motor. A stock internal car that runs low 12s is much more impressive to me than a head and cam car that runs low 12s without them.

01 WS6

ok, So i'll stop thinking about having a high hp. I guess my next question would have to be the suspension mods. What do I need to be looking at buying if I get a head and cam install and a set of 4 10's? And if I could get some reccomendations for websites and brands for the rear end and suspension upgrades that would be great.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

UMI for suspension parts - contact www.kyspeed.com Mark is a sponsor on this site.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Spohns website sells the rears.

Thread Information