Help with new WS6

Hey guys, im back here asking about a trans am i'm looking into buying. I posted this previous thread up: ls1.com/forums/f36/need-help-advice-new-ws6-178989/

- So, i went over to jersey yesterday to check out the car: The interior needs work, but the outside is great, the engine looks good too. I'm returning back so we can take it to a mechanic to have it lifted and make sure everythings ok. All lights worked, heat works, a/c works, but needs to be recharged. One of the fog lights dont work, that might can be an easy fix. No leaks, except some water from the middle pipe of the exhaust (i think it was just from cold start). It didnt smell like fuel or anything, just water. He lowered the price to 6,200 for me, including the subs that come with the alpine type S system (he took them out, but cut me a deal now). I also heard a small squeaking noise from the engine, he said it might just be the belt.
    -Now here's where i need help: I checked the sticker on the door panel where the VIN is found, and i found these codes: WS9-W54-Y82. But, from the guide given to me, i saw that a trans am ws6 should have: WS9-Y82-WS6. What does this W54 mean on the sticker? Is this not a real ws6? i'll include a pic of the sticker so you can see it better. If anyone knows how to get access to a free carfax, or a cheap one, please let me know.

(copy and paste into browser): tinypic.com/r/21jcg9t/8

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by sezo View Post
    -Now here's where i need help: I checked the sticker on the door panel where the VIN is found, and i found these codes: WS9-W54-Y82. But, from the guide given to me, i saw that a trans am ws6 should have: WS9-Y82-WS6. What does this W54 mean on the sticker? Is this not a real ws6? i'll include a pic of the sticker so you can see it better. If anyone knows how to get access to a free carfax, or a cheap one, please let me know.
    If the RPO decal doesn't contain the WS6 code, then its not a real WS6 car, which means it wasn't built w/ the proper ram air hood, intake, better exhaust, upgraded suspension or 17" wheels/tires. Considering the front end has been bastardized w/ a '98+ Formula front end and an aftermarket hood, it probably doesn't much matter anyway.

BTW, W54 is the RPO code for a Monsoon stereo w/ a cassette player. WS9 is the "Formula Conversion" (V8 drivetrain), Y82 is the Trans Am trim level (coupe).

Considering the seller is advertizing it as a "WS6", and it is clearly not, I would question the sellers' integrity. I smell a car that suffered a front-end collision and was repaired with whatever was handy to bolt-on. His willingness to concede on price and throw in some subs only reinforces that suspicion. Either take advantange of that or walk away from this pile.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 04-07-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/rpo-cod...4/#post1736499

LT1
    W54 -Entertainment System - Radio, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, Equalizer, 10 Speaker System, Amplifier

LS1

W54
    - Entertainment System Option D

No WS6 RPO code means it's not a WS6 Trans Am. Nothing wrong with non WS6 Trans Am as long as it's not sold as one. Mine is not a WS6 but I was fine with that because everything that made it one was getting changed out for better parts. I only wanted one for the hood.

i see. So what would you guys price this car at? seeing as it's not a real ws6 now.. does 6.2 sound bad for 93kmiles and the given mods? Do you suggest i purchase a carfax?

Navy Blue Metallic

yes on carfax, but understand any off book accidents and work will not show up.

I paid $6300 for my 98' (LS1) non WS6 Trans Am with 105k miles, M6 all stock back in Mar 09' when they were much higher in price.

This is a decision you got to make. It's hard to give specifics without seeing it in person.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

if you know what to look for, you need to get under the car and see if you can find any damage...if it was a front end collision it could have been something as simple as bumping into somebody in a parking lot or smashing into a pole at 30mph...

I'd offer him $5500 cash and see what he does...if he says hell no then you have to decide what you want to go up to. You are the one with the money so you are in more control than he is...if he doesnt want to sell it for the price you want, move on to the next one. If it squeaks or knocks "which it does at least one" be prepared to replace some stuff...

It's my first car purchase, ever. So it's quite difficult to make the decision. I really like the car, the inside would need work (leather), and the steering wheel on the left side, under it, has some wires exposed. He said it "came like that". I'm going to take it to a mechanic next time i visit, which he said he's perfectly fine with cause there's "nothing wrong with it". I'll have the mechanic check the underside, and engine in general, to see what's up. All in all, i do like the car, but i don't want to regret it in the future...I'll also go ahead and spend the 40 bucks for a carfax, which i know some things won't even show, which is why i'm weary of spending the money for it anyway. He also said quite a few people came and tried offering half what he wanted cause they just wanted to make it into a drag-strip car, which he didn't want. He actually said he'd rather let it go to someone who would enjoy it.

Black / White

It's my first car purchase, ever. So it's quite difficult to make the decision. I really like the car, the inside would need work (leather), and the steering wheel on the left side, under it, has some wires exposed. He said it "came like that". I'm going to take it to a mechanic next time i visit, which he said he's perfectly fine with cause there's "nothing wrong with it". I'll have the mechanic check the underside, and engine in general, to see what's up. All in all, i do like the car, but i don't want to regret it in the future...I'll also go ahead and spend the 40 bucks for a carfax, which i know some things won't even show, which is why i'm weary of spending the money for it anyway. He also said quite a few people came and tried offering half what he wanted cause they just wanted to make it into a drag-strip car, which he didn't want. He actually said he'd rather let it go to someone who would enjoy it.
    well...with it being your first car purchase its going to be an emotional purchase instead of a logical one lol I know because everybody does the same thing when they buy a car...you are on the right track tho. Get a mechanic to look it over and get a carfax. Know exactly what you are buying before you sign on the dotted line...it'll save you a lot of headache, heartache, and moneyache in the long run...Any pictures of the interior so we can see what you are referring to?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

unfortunately no pics of the interior..I'm sorta leaning towards a z28 camaro at around the same year,99,00...they seem to be cheaper on craigslist. I do still really want the TA.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^better get what you really want or you will regret it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Agree. These cars are out there, so if this one just doesn't "smell right" take a pass and keep shopping.

In answer to some of your concerns - the LS engines do pump out quite a bit of water from the exhaust on cold startup -- we usually have 2-3 puddles under our car when I run it in the garage. Once the exhaust system warms up, it all goes out the tailpipes as water vapor so no concerns there. The squeak could very well be a belt and a cheap can of belt dressing from the parts store will confirm that. With the engine running, just spray the belt and see if the noise abates. Don't forget the small AC belt down low on the passenger side of the engine.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Help with new WS6

remember these cars are on average 15+ years old, some problems will be there. take it to a trusted mechanic have them look it over. if everything checks out and you plan on getting your hands dirty learning to do some home repairs I would think the price isn't to bad. do your homework
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black / White

unfortunately no pics of the interior..I'm sorta leaning towards a z28 camaro at around the same year,99,00...they seem to be cheaper on craigslist. I do still really want the TA.
    camaro's are usually a little bit cheaper than the TA's...but if you want a TA, hold on to your money until you find the right one for you.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

He also said quite a few people came and tried offering half what he wanted cause they just wanted to make it into a drag-strip car, which he didn't want. He actually said he'd rather let it go to someone who would enjoy it.
    Hi Thomas, the above statement is the oldest trick in the world - as far as selling a car. I bet the car well still be there if you pass it up.

As for a free VIN number search this is the only one I could find http://www.vincheckpro.com/?act=vin&...t=&aceid=&asl=[name]&match=e&pos=1t2&mob=&gclid=CNTlkZmB0b0CFe5aMgodWz sAoA
    Last edited by 024mula; 04-08-2014 at 06:08 AM.
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

Navy Blue Metallic

Guys it's a 97 LT1 car that has had the late 4th gen front swapped over. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the owner either doesn't know it's a non ws6 car or he's shady in trying to sell it as one.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Whoops. I did read that.

Thread Information