Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Help me decide which if these 2 Trans Am

This is a discussion on Help me decide which if these 2 Trans Am within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 speed density all the way. From the looks it looks like a real WS6 hood. Most ...

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    speed density all the way. From the looks it looks like a real WS6 hood. Most aftermarkets the groover is barely noticeable because the molds they use are not as deep as the factory mold. He could've bought a factory WS6 hood to put it on but hey it's $1000 you don't have to spend! But the chips are expected especially for a 20 year old car. Also if it is truly a stock 98 WS6, you will have the OTL exaust. One on the left so one exhaust tip on the drivers side of the car. Most people swap to dual tips but just an interesting tidbit about true 98 ws6 quirks
    That's interesting about the exhaust. But I have seen many WS6 pics which show both a driver and passenger side single exhaust pipe, just not a double tip. Did you mean that there should only be a driver side exhaust pipe/tip?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

When they came from the factory the 98's WS6's had single exhaust while the following years they came with dual. Over time many ppl have made them dual pipes.

If you were trying to keep it in pure stock form then it should be with a single outlet.

Hey all here's the code sheet from the door. Does it look like an official Trans Am WS6? Funny thing is I just plugged the VIN into an online Vin checker, and the first thing that came up said "1998 Firebird Formula". Is that expected or just some fluke these databases?

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    When they came from the factory the 98's WS6's had single exhaust while the following years they came with dual. Over time many ppl have made them dual pipes.

If you were trying to keep it in pure stock form then it should be with a single outlet.
    But it is a dual exhaust system right, not just a single line exhaust? I attached a pic of the rear of this vehicle. I see two separate (single tip) pipes on each end.

Navy Blue Metallic

It comes off the exhaust manifolds into a y pipe that goes into the muffler as a single inlet tube. Here you can have a muffler that continues as a single outlet or splits it into 2 outlets that then go to the tip.

If a car has true duel exhaust it is an aftermarket system.
    edforce1 likes this.

It comes off the exhaust manifolds into a y pipe that goes into the muffler as a single inlet tube. Here you can have a muffler that continues as a single outlet or splits it into 2 outlets that then go to the tip.

If a car has true duel exhaust it is an aftermarket system.
    Thanks a lot for all your insights and also to everyone else! Sorry if I missed replying to any of you personally

BTW I posted the RPO code sheet above. Can you have a look and let me know?

Last edited by edforce1; 07-17-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

It has it, row 4, column 9

You'll see Formula package on all Trans Am's
    edforce1 likes this.

It has it, row 4, column 9
    Cool, thanks man. I wasn't sure with all these different codes, but I guess it really is a WS6 so that's great.

For anyone interested, I just found this VIN chart for 4th gens, which explains all the digits.

http://www.transamworld.com/4genvins.php

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

That's an aftermarket exhaust it looks like
    98 WS6 M6 ASC #2647
    Forged Custom 408 w/Vortec YSi

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    That's an aftermarket exhaust it looks like
    Yeah I was speaking to the dealer yesterday and he mentioned it was some special aftermarket exhaust, but sold through Pontiac at the time (guess that's what he was told).

The car salesman I am dealing with is the owner of the dealership. Nice guy, but you know how it is negotiating with these guys.

So here's an update --

I made an offer last night, which was well below the asking price. Wanted to see what response I would get, and it wasn't good. He basically told me he is firm on the price and wouldn't wiggle more than a few hundred.

I was going to make another offer for CAD $9900, which is roughly USD $7500. Asking price is $8350 US.

Do you guys think this is a reasonable offer, or am I overpaying? Again, 1998 WS6, manual transmission, with about 124k miles. I had a local mechanic check it out and he told me the car is fine, no leaks and everything works ok. Brakes look good other than the rear rotors a bit thin, but nothing extreme nor needing replacement soon.

Navy Blue Metallic

Without test driving it or seeing in person it's hard to give a non skeptic answer.

It sounds like a good but. I would try for the $7500, you may be able to say that the rest is for transportation fees.

edforce1 likes this.

Just an update. Well, I haven't purchased it yet, I'm now torn between this one and a white 02 WS6 I just looked at yesterday.

Car is west of Toronto in Windsor, which is right beside the USA bridge to Michigan. Car was originally purchased by a guy in Flint, and then the Canadian owner imported it over, so it has the mph dash. Anyway, it's got 64k miles.

He's asking US $12,600.

The one thing I wasn't crazy about is the car has those smoke lenses for all the marker lights, and the blackout light in the back which are also screwed on.

The only real issue is that I ordered a carfax report and it says there were 2 damage/accident reports while in the US. And one of them says "structural damage reported.". Although the car looks in great shape body wise. There was some very minor alignment mismatch with the left side of the hood and pop up light. But so subtle you would never notice unless you tried. So I don't know now, as this structural damage mentioned on the report sort of scared me. But it is a good price, and the car drives very nice.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Southern car > Northern car from a condition standpoint. At least in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Southern car > Northern car from a condition standpoint. At least in most cases.
    There's a lot of sellers up here asking very high prices, much higher than this, for 02 models. So I guess the price is somewhat reasonable considering it was in a couple accidents. There's a few minor flaws, like a Crack on the passenger door panel, and a bad back speaker. Things of that nature, as well as a very small quarter sized passenger door dent, and some stress cracks on the rear bumper.

The interior is really nice though, and all black leather which is rare to see (gray is much more common for some reason).

I'm going to arrange for a mechanic to check it out though.

Even though black is my favorite color, I like white too. And I think getting an 02 with half as many miles as the black 98 makes more sense. My main concern with the black one is that I can't see it up close or do a test drive, as it's far away in New Brunswick.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If I were to do it again I would get an 02 over a 98. That's my personal opinion. I love my 98 but too many little 1 off's that can sometime make parts a little difficult. I just redid the fuel system in my car. In 98's it's a journey.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Agree. Nothing against a '98 but they did have some quirks.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I have a 98 as well. And I concur: if you are serious about a 4th Gen for long term ownership, and you can swing the cash, consider an 01 or 02. My 98 by now is "Frankenstein'd" with later model parts. I have a Camaro with an engine out of an 01 Firebird (which has the benefit of the LS6 intake manifold and the updated engine block).

Another thing to consider is whether you plan on modding the car. If you do, depending on the project, it may not matter which year you get (or how many miles are on it).
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Go for the 02. Black is pretty...for about 5 seconds until a spec of dust hits it (Navy Blue Metallic isn't any better lol). White is easier to maintain. Car is 4 years newer with half the miles. If the mechanic gives the all clear, I'd throw a $10k to $11k offer at them just to see how far they're willing to budge. Almost all T/A's have cracks in the door panels (ours on both sides ), and you'll be lucky if the dash pad isn't cracked too.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Oh the love hate relationship between an owner and their 98

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information