Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Help!! I have a 3rd Gen Fetish!

Why do I like this car so much?

Its slow. Its not even an L69 H.O. (the preferred 3rd gen motor before tuned-port injection arrived in '85).

But all I want to do is stare at it. Even thinking about buying one.

I love that cowl hood, the paint scheme, and those early 80's aero-style wheel covers. Its just history on wheels.

Do I need help?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    Why do I like this car so much?

Click for full size

Its slow. Its not even an L69 H.O. (the preferred 3rd gen motor before tuned-port injection arrived in '85).

But all I want to do is stare at it. Even thinking about buying one.

I love that cowl hood, the paint scheme, and those early 80's aero-style wheel covers. Its just history on wheels.

Do I need help?
    Cut the mullet and move out of the trailer park.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Cut the mullet and move out of the trailer park.

Yeah thats a start.

No, I agree, its a sexy car except for the rims IMO.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

No way, 3rdgens are awesome.

One of my favorite 'Birds is the '89 TTA, and I'd love to have a GTA with a LS1.

I used to have a 88GTA L98, I loved that car and I really miss it. In a way I liked it better than my 4th gen.

People make fun of them now, but for the time they were actually very impressive. The '82 Firebird was the most aerodynamic car sold in America at that time, according to motor trend, and they were also one of the best handling too. I remember reading the old reviews, I used to have a stack of early 80's motor trends my uncle gave me. They were actually quite impressed with them when they first came out, and raved about the handling.

Think about it: In the '80's some of these cars had factory 4wheel disk brakes, aluminum driveshafts, and engine oil coolers.

The same year Mustangs had NONE of those things, and 4 lug wheels too.

Awaiting Activation

Blue
    2000 TA

Buy it and drop an LS3 in it.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    No way, 3rdgens are awesome.

One of my favorite 'Birds is the '89 TTA, and I'd love to have a GTA with a LS1.

I used to have a 88GTA L98, I loved that car and I really miss it. In a way I liked it better than my 4th gen.

People make fun of them now, but for the time they were actually very impressive. The '82 Firebird was the most aerodynamic car sold in America at that time, according to motor trend, and they were also one of the best handling too. I remember reading the old reviews, I used to have a stack of early 80's motor trends my uncle gave me. They were actually quite impressed with them when they first came out, and raved about the handling.

Think about it: In the '80's some of these cars had factory 4wheel disk brakes, aluminum driveshafts, and engine oil coolers.

The same year Mustangs had NONE of those things, and 4 lug wheels too.
    Yeah, and those "aero" wheel covers were part of that goal to make it the most aerodynamic car GM had ever built at the time.

They fell off, broke, and were canceled in '84 I believe. They're hard to find now.

Rare 80's technology. Why do I care? Guess because I grew up in the 80's and an '87 Firebird was my first car.

This isn't something I would drive everyday, obviously. But I just have this serious urge to "collect" it.

--

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

There is nothing wrong with the 3rd gen. Buy it and throw in an ls.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    Yeah, and those "aero" wheel covers were part of that goal to make it the most aerodynamic car GM had ever built at the time.

They fell off, broke, and were canceled in '84 I believe. They're hard to find now.

Rare 80's technology. Why do I care? Guess because I grew up in the 80's and an '87 Firebird was my first car.

This isn't something I would drive everyday, obviously. But I just have this serious urge to "collect" it.

--
    Not a bad idea.

Its one thing to drive a beat ass 3rd gen with rust holes and beer cans in the back. But a mint conditon, all original car like that would be kind of cool to have.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not a bad idea.

Its one thing to drive a beat ass 3rd gen with rust holes and beer cans in the back. But a mint conditon, all original car like that would be kind of cool to have.
    +1

White
    1998 Trans Am

Don't even need a LS motor. Find a 89 Aniversary with the Recaro seats and the GN Turbo six. Fast and lots of aftermarket parts for the GN should be adaptable

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

damn,just today i was thinking about how i should have bought my friend's 87 gta.i was black with a tpi 305,slow as hell (16.30 in the 1/4)but a great car to cruise around in.would be awesome with a ls1 or ls6.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    damn,just today i was thinking about how i should have bought my friend's 87 gta.i was black with a tpi 305,slow as hell (16.30 in the 1/4)but a great car to cruise around in.would be awesome with a ls1 or ls6.
    Not only would it look sexy, but also have balls to take on todays competition when needed.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

yeah, i wish i could go back to 1997 and buy the gta.

burgundy
    1991 Pontiac firebird

3rd gens are sweet, alot of fun to play with, i have one and my friend also has one. However their just hard to keep up on especially with the economy is so bad, hard to keep saving for parts, seems like always a step behind. I jsut replaced the distributor module on mine, fuel pump, and then a few quick fixes

A friend of mine has a 00 T/A, when his son reached driving age he wanted one too but he was not about to put an ls1 in the hands of a kid so he bought him an 86. The son lives w/ his mom in the middle of nowhere and drives on alot of gravel roads so he made the mature decision to give it back to dad and get a truck. His dad (my friend) keeps it garaged and has started to restore it, I shake my head and tell him to make it the DD and park the 00, at least in the winter, or sell it and get a DD. He says no he wants to keep it and "collect" it, I say whatever. He also says 86 is the absolute bastard year, when he goes looking for parts there's a slew of stuff from 82-85 and 87-92 but no 86, so if you ever buy a 3rd gen stay away form 86.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

I read through this and thought, Man I'd love to have one of those Garnet GTA's with the gold wheels.

And what do you know went to ebay and here one is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1318

Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

i had an 89 for 4 years and that stupid bitch always pissed me off. damn pass key security crap thingy. sometimes it didnt wanna start, so i'd have to wait 10 minutes and try it again. i loved it though........sold that bitch!

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Third gens rock! I bought an '87 T/A a couple years ago and fixed it up. Now it's sitting outside waiting for a new harmonic balancer...or rather waiting for me to have time to change it.

I put a 4th gen rear end in it, 3.73's, Torsen, shaved handles and side markers, paint, etc, etc. I now have a LOT more in it thatn it'll ever be worth, and I want to sell it.

$ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar

2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

Here it is, the answer to all of your dreams. A mint 1991 GTA code 8774 BRIGHT RED with saddle interior and only 64000 miles. I am the 2nd owner and the previous owner was a coworker's wife. This car is immaculate inside and out. It needs paint in the obvious spots from license plate mounting in 3 separate locations within inches of one another ( previous owner). Leather is perfect other than scuffing on driver bolster from exiting and entering the seat. No tears, holes, nothing. Has the 350 TPI with all the 245 h.p. it came with. Factory airbags as well. You talk of sexy this is my favorite year of all and I own several 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens!! $ 10K if anyone is seriously interested PM me.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Nice cars!!

That '91 GTA runs strong. Best car GM made that year, IMO.

How much you wanting to get for that '87, LT4Hawk?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information