Help after an accident!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the group and unfortunately I'm starting with bad news!

I purchased my first trans am back in February! It's a 01 bone stock black ws6! I loved it! Due to Michigan weather, it was in the garage getting the fluids changed and mechanic inspection!

Welllll... I let my brother drive it on the first nice weekend and he was in an accident! He is fine! The car however I'm almost positive is a complete loss!

I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company! Does anyone know about how much they say these cars are worth? Or how they come up with this value?

Because I'm sure you're all curious...Here are a few pics of the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Your said your brother was fine after the accident... how about after you got your hands on him?

Hard to tell from the pics, front end looks push over a bit maybe. Since you just purchased the car, hope you at least get what you paid for it. Sorry to see... hurts me looking at pics like that.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Big question is mileage. Gather up all the information you can on same ones selling in your area with similar mileage and take it to the insurance company. They are gonna lowball on the first offer typically. With that rear quarter damage it's a good chance they will try to total. It's one of the most expensive areas to fix on these cars. Not mention any hidden damage up front.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Out of curiosity what happened?

Raynor139 there were 120k on her. He was in the right lane on the expressway. he switched lanes in to the middle lane at the same time the car in the fast lane switched into the middle lane! They clipped the rear end and sent it into spin and ultimately a wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Out of curiosity what happened?
    He was in the right lane on the expressway. He switched lanes in to the middle lane at the same time the car in the left lane did! They clipped the rear end and sent him in to a spin and ultimately a wall!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I agree that the death nail is the rear damage. This is the biggest problem with uni-body cars.

Damn there is a lot of meat on that bone with that car. I'd be seriously thinking of buying it back from the insurance and find a roller for a swap.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

It brings tears to my eyes to see this. Good to hear your bro is OK. I'm sure he feels awful about it. As it was said before, you could find another chassis and put all your goodies in it. IMO, that's gonna be a total loss. Rear looks sideways and front end also pushed over a good bit.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Looks like too much damage to not be totaled, unless the mileage is very low or a bunch of major, expensive parts were recently installed.

I've lost a Bird due to a lane-changing accident. It sucks.

Has liability been determined? Between two cars changing lanes and a possible non-household driver, it sounds complicated. Because without comprehensive coverage, it would be very bad news if there's no money to spend toward a replacement.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Man, what a bummer...

One of the things that always keeps me on my toes is drivers one or two lanes over who are either in my escape zone or might try to use the same escape zone as me... for this exact reason...

Sorry to see and hear about this.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

If your brother wasn't at fault, go after the other drivers insurance company for a full repair, seeing as the other driver was at fault. When someone ran a red light and hit my first F body I fought tooth and nail when the insurance company tried to total it. I told the other drivers insurance they are responsible for repairs seeing as I wasn't the one at fault, and they ended up paying more for repairs then the car was worth, but at least I still had it.

Thread Information