Thread: help??

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

help??

i dont know if i should get my brakes looked at... i was doing 130 the other day down a huge hill and i hit the brakes all the way to the floor and the car just kinda coasted to a stop rather than actually stopping. no abs came on or nothing... also there was a really bad smell inside the car and when i got to my destination i smelled my wheels and it was the driver side front wheel that smelled like that. anyone know whats goin on?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by JML6820 View Post
    i dont know if i should get my brakes looked at... i was doing 130 the other day down a huge hill and i hit the brakes all the way to the floor and the car just kinda coasted to a stop rather than actually stopping. no abs came on or nothing... also there was a really bad smell inside the car and when i got to my destination i smelled my wheels and it was the driver side front wheel that smelled like that. anyone know whats goin on?
    I would say you should definitely get them looked at. Check and make sure you have fluid first. If the fluid is low fill it up and try it again (Not from 130 down a hill lol)

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I would say you should definitely get them looked at. Check and make sure you have fluid first. If the fluid is low fill it up and try it again (Not from 130 down a hill lol)
    +1 and try do stop from around 60 mph not 130 mph. I bet your fluid is low.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You probably just heated the hell out of the brake pad/rotor and any residue that was on either melted off

Were you able to stop fine? Or was it difficult to stop?

Yeah....don't do that again

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

sounds like either major brake fade or maybe a bad master cylinder

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by JML6820 View Post
    Here's a theory, and it could be the fix.

You said the smell was really bad around the LF. If your caliper was not releasing all the way, that would make your LF brakes overheat. It wouldn't necessarily show up on slower drives, since the friction wouldn't be as bad. When it overheats bad enough, the brake fluid can have a localized boiling, that would explain the soft pedal/no abs actuation, since there wasn't enough pressure to lock any wheel.

If you can do it yourself, take the wheel off and take your caliper off, then see if any of the caliper slides are sticky (most common) or it could be the caliper pistons binding (not as common). If it has been overheating regularly, you should see blueing/hot spots on the rotor.

Brakes can drag somewhat and not cause a pulling condition.

Thread Information