Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Hello from a new member

Hello everyone, I'm a brand new member and a first time Trans Am WS6 owner. My car is a 2002, Pewter / Black, polished wheels, performance axle and 8,700 original miles. It's an auto trans, and that's what I was looking for, due to the heavy congestion in Northern NJ. Years ago I was big into muscle cars and drag racing but switched to motorcycles some (are you ready ?) 40 years ago. So I recently sold all of my motorcycle gear, bike etc and counted my blessings for surviving all of that time. As they say, cashed in my chips.
    So I'm probably one of the oldest on this site,66 to be precise, but who really cares. Anyway, I don't plan on too many mods but I would like to waken up the exhaust sound somewhat. Nothing too loud,just a little more throaty tone. I put a Magnaflow on my every day driver,2010 Accord V6 Coupe,and it really has a lot of drone at 2500-3500 and I want to avoid that on the Trans Am. Any suggestions would be appreciated keeping in mind that I'm not interested in a full blown long tube header set up etc etc. Man, what's with those tiny exhausts sticking out the rear ? I would also like to know if there is a plain plastic panel that can replace the red firebird one that surrounds the rear hatch key cylinder. This may not sit well with some of you but I dislike decals and plastic lettering. I immediately removed the Ram Air letters on the hood and the Trans Am plastic lettering on the lower part of each door. I prefer a clean look without the "Jersey Shore" glitz. Anyone who knows their stuff knows what I've got and those who don't know aren't car people to begin with.
    At this point I don't have any words of wisdom about these cars but I look forward to learning with the help of the forum postings.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

Welcome to the club. Most people here will tell you if you want a deep sound that dosent have much drone to go with the magnaflow. If you wanna wake the car up a bit do the catback and a lid and maby a tune and the car will be a lil quicker, and better on gas if you stay out of it. Good luck with your mods and look foreward to seeing you on the site.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

ditto,

welcome to the site. BTW it's very hard to fight the mod but with these cars....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! I run a Magnaflow catback on our car and have zero drone. The dual tip system (P/N 16723) both looks and sounds great as it fills the bumper cutouts perfectly. For those times when I want the car to roar, I added a DMH electric cutout to the mid-pipe. Like you, I joined this site for the information after acquiring our car back in 2008 -- before that I was all old school and didn't have a clue about LS architecture and how to work on them.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Welcome to the site.

I understand you never owned a WS6 before. Your going to LOVE it, the handling is great.

Post some pics of your car when you get a chance.

arctic white
    99 Trans am

Welcome, for the taillight filler panel I think what people do is wet sand the bird and letters off then buff and polish it to get that plain shiny black look. Should be a thread about it around somewhere.

M6 BBK Lts, GMMG, G2 Super Springs, Ls6 intake, pro 5.0,Ported stock TB, Tuned by Frost
    95 Maxima M5 Kyb Gr2 shocks DD

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

Welcome to the site, fellow NJ'ian! I know what you mean, all of my earlier cars were 'old school muscle' until i got my 'vert. I actually had a '75 455HO 4sdp. T/A at thsame time I had my new car. Made for some very interesting comparison drives. While I love the way my '02 rides and handles, (not to mention the 25mpg it gets) it just doesn't compare to the torque of a mildly built 455. Ahhhhhhh, torque! Any way, stick around, there's lots of good stuff here for almost everybody. Later.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Magnaflow Drone

Thanks for the answer on the Magnaflow #16723. I don't want to spend the money and then be driven crazy with the drone like I have on my Honda V6. Yes, the Dual Tips look great and fill up that open space perfectly.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

May I recommend removing the side molding strip on it, I think you will enjoy that look on the car!

Before:

After:
    Last edited by silverWS6; 09-06-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Very nice ! Thanks for the suggestion. Here in Northern NJ it is very congested and the parking spaces seem to be smaller. I'm paranoid about people chipping the doors etc, so I may leave it on. We'll see.
    Made the decision to change the battery today. It is the original, but 8K and nine years makes me think I'll be stranded sooner than later.
    Now that I'm getting framiliar with the WS6 it's a blast to drive.
    Hopefully tomorow I'll get it back. I'm having every fluid and every filter done plus tires. Then I'm most likely going to install the Magnaflow #16723 Dual Tip.

Thread Information