Headlight woes!!

Hello guys I have a trans am 1998 and I've have some issues with my passenger side headlight, it buzzes so I look for Google to help me out like any other information I need to now and find out its the gear... so I pull the motor out buy a gear replaced and it's buzzing... ok... that's not working so I buy the whole headlight motor from the auto store... the buzzing noise goes away but... the headlight only flips up when the lights are off... I flip the lights on it flips down... now I'm confused can anybody shed light on this and how to get my headlight to flip with the other one thanks!!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

This is going to sound silly but.... Did you kount the motor in the right way (not upside down)?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    This is going to sound silly but.... Did you kount the motor in the right way (not upside down)?
    Yes I did I'll take pictures in a sec but it feels like it's a wrong issue because the motor I used was a Cardone reman.. and it's seeming like all of them are coming with the wiring reversed

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by jayroca View Post
    Yes I did I'll take pictures in a sec but it feels like it's a wrong issue because the motor I used was a Cardone reman.. and it's seeming like all of them are coming with the wiring reversed
    That was my next thought but figured to rule the first thing out first!

Motor out could you speak on what needs to be reversed as far as wiring?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by jayroca View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Motor out could you speak on what needs to be reversed as far as wiring?
    The old motor that I just grabbed from my basement doesnt have that red wired weatherpack connector at the top, just another of the smaller "L" connectors like you have on the middle right but the one I grabbed is the LH side (casing # 16524229), still both sides should have the same style of connectors.

Did you splice that red wire set in? Is that a fuse/fusible link inline there ?
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 03-29-2016 at 07:14 PM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

The linkage is wrongly connected. You will need to turn on the lights, disconnect the linkage, and then reconnect the linkage so that the headlight is up.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

If you ever used the manual screw under the rubber boot to set the light in the up position, then you would need to re set that, but you never mentioned it, so prob not an issue....

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    The old motor that I just grabbed from my basement doesnt have that red wired weatherpack connector at the top, just another of the smaller "L" connectors like you have on the middle right but the one I grabbed is the LH side (casing # 16524229), still both sides should have the same style of connectors.
    Did you splice that red wire set in? Is that a fuse/fusible link inline there ?
    Yea I have a retrofit headlight mod with hids that's why u see the red connectors... spliced

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    The linkage is wrongly connected. You will need to turn on the lights, disconnect the linkage, and then reconnect the linkage so that the headlight is up.
    Any pics on how the linkage should be rightly connected? I've turned the lights on reconnected the arm/linkage and the motor still went down when the lights were cut on... it seems like it's a wiring issue ..but... you are also correct I manually turned the knob to take the headlight motor out I would need to manually spin the knob back down... it still feels like a wiring issue
    Last edited by jayroca; 03-31-2016 at 02:42 AM. Reason: No reason

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

If you manually spun the headlight up, then you need to manually spin it down before reconnecting the linkage. Yes, I have photos, but you need a photobucket account to post pics up here. I have never posted photos here in many years for that reason. I believe that it is perfectly opposite the other side. If you have a friend cycle the motor a couple of times while you watch, you will figure it out..

Check your pm az gt eater

Update: so I spliced the harness on the motor because they were flipping down when the lights were on.. spliced both those so it's mismatched colored lol but it flips when they are supposed now and that's what matters lol

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

That's what matters. I reviewed my pics and I would have had to heavily edit them with word to show you what I was looking at. Glad you figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    That's what matters. I reviewed my pics and I would have had to heavily edit them with word to show you what I was looking at. Glad you figured it out.
    Preciate the help.. man it finally made sense... because the headlights were flipping the wrong times...now I can do the retrofit and be done lol

Thread Information