Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Headlight problem! NOT the motor.

As we all have before I had an issue with the one of the headlight motors, that was an issue that was fixed. The other headlight motor would work properly but the lamp was burned out (I thought) after changing the lamp it still wouldn't light up, I checked the voltage and I was getting 0's. I checked the fuses and they are all good. One of the other tests that I did was turned on the high beams, when I did that the low beam (the not working) turned on but the high beam lamp did not. Is there a relay that I should check/change? I could not find one. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check the wiring in the area of the headlight -- when I adjusted our lids this summer, I noticed that it sort of rubbed in one spot. So it could be a break in the wiring. You could also have a defective headlamp. Plug it in on the other side and test it before you dig too deep.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Check the wiring in the area of the headlight -- when I adjusted our lids this summer, I noticed that it sort of rubbed in one spot. So it could be a break in the wiring. You could also have a defective headlamp. Plug it in on the other side and test it before you dig too deep.
    I did check both the wiring and the lamp. I did noticed some corrosion on the connector but was very easy to clean up.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I honestly do not know if they are routed through different relays or fuses -- check your underhood electrical box. You can easily swap relays as they are mostly identical if you find that there is indeed a separate circuit for each.

WS6 Black Convertible
    2001 Trans Am

Don't overlook the ground - make sure it's good. That throws a lot of people off, good luck..

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Sounds like a ground problem, my right lowbeam blows every three months or so. No broken or rubbed wires, not a fuse, and I haven't had time to investigate further. It's a pain in the ass to keep changing lamps so maybe the same type of problem your having.

black
    2002 WS6

sounds like a crossed connector some where.first place to check would be the connection between the main harness and the lamp harness and check voltage there.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    sounds like a crossed connector some where.first place to check would be the connection between the main harness and the lamp harness and check voltage there.
    Would you happen to have the wiring diagram?

black
    2002 WS6

I do but am unable to post it well enough to be usefull. Though it does seem that both lamps share a common ground. If you trace the wiring back and down towards the motor there may be a larger connector there where you can check for voltages.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    I do but am unable to post it well enough to be usefull. Though it does seem that both lamps share a common ground. If you trace the wiring back and down towards the motor there may be a larger connector there where you can check for voltages.
    Thank you. I'll try that

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

My 2002 came from the factory with both high beams blown. I turned them on hi the first night I had it and everything went dark. They replaced them free. I've had to replace both low and high beams several times since then. Last time the drivers side went out when I replaced it I coated the connector and prongs on the light with dielectric silicone grease and it hasn't blown again yet. I have been waiting for the passenger side to go so I could do the same thing to it and it blew out last Friday night so when I replaced it I did the same thing. My driver's side turn signal was getting water in it and blowing out and after I changed it last time I treated it with the silicone and it hasn't blown yet.

Thread Information