Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Headlight Motor Wiring Issue

I have a 98 WS6
    A few days ago the drivers side headlight motor started grinding when it went down.
    At first I thought no big deal, replace the motor, however it is more complicated that that.

When I went to replace the motor I noticed that the wiring has been altered. Instead of the like stock 5 spade black male connector coming from the headlight motor and connecting to a female connector to the wiring harness someone has spliced the various wired individually for some reason. I have no idea why this would have been done. The headlights have all worked fine for the past year since I bought it with 30K miles on it. I did notice when I found out the wiring had been altered that one of those individual spliced wires gets hot to the touch when the headlights are in the up position and turned on.

I bought a rebuilt headlight motor and none of the colors match the stock wiring. I can buy a stock headlight motor though.

Right now aside from the headlight grinding when flipped down when the headlight switch is turned to park instead of the parking lights coming on as usual the headlights pop up but do not turn on. Also when the doors are locked and the alarm activated instead of the parking lights flashing the headlights both pop up and down half way quickly.

I have been told that the stock headlight wiring harness is not available but that the dealer can likely match up the missing connector for me at least.

I am wondering what the best way to get this back to working like stock is and if the strange issues that are happening sound like they are all associated with just a bad motor or if there may be something else going on as well.

Thanks In Advance.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As long as you match up the wires it really should not matter. You can buy weatherpak connectors at most parts stores now and simply need one that will accomodate the number of wires you have. Someone should be able to take a look at their '98 service manual and provide you with the color codes since yours are not identical.

Thread Information