Black
    2000 T/A Firehawk#610

Headlight issue....possibly electrical?

Hello everyone,

SO, everytime I engage my alarm (on or off) the headlights flip up, then down, and the passengers side light makes this extreme clicking sound...as if it wasnts to close more than it can...a tktktktktktktktktk sound...

Coincidentally, the heallight went out too...so I'm probably gonna go and swap it tonight...

My question is, to the best of your guys' knowledge...has anyone had this issue before? Or can you maybe suggest a course of action to remedy this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

it's common, dont fear someone will help you out, theres alot of people here who have delt with it

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

gear in you headlight motor that raises and lowers the headlight is stripped there is a website that a guy makes and sells the aluminum replacement gears that will fix the problem indefinatly (spell)

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Try solution 1 first. It ALWAYS works as long as it has not been done already.

I personally have had some bad luck with the metal gear, my epoxy has not always held up for much more than a year or so and I also had a motor die.

Hind site, all the time and effort I spent in taking the motor apart and what not.. Might as well just replaced it with a new one Just me though, tons of people have done the metal gear.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black/Black
    2001 T/A WS6 M6

I just replaced my right one, by the way that is the exact thing that mine did when the motor died. Bought one at Auto Zone for $70, lifetime warrenty.

Black
    2000 T/A Firehawk#610

Thanks guys for all the responses. They helped a lot. Cheers.

red
    2002 t/a ws6,1972chevelle

I had the excat same problem with mine. classic industries sells the brass gear kit for like $50.00 i replaced both of them on mine have not had a problem yet. I tried the plastic gear swap frist it worked for me for like 2 months it is a temp fix

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Strange it only lasted for 2 months. I have both stock motors on my headlights (one with the 180* swap) on my 98 with over 200,000 miles.

I think the key to keeping them good is how you use them. Changing the metal gear does eliminate the need to pay any attention.

Here is my rules for me and my wife that keeps them in perfect working order.

1. Never turn the headlights on while going 30+mph. Try to always turn them on when stopped. When you are moving, air slams the headlights up helping strip the gear.

2. Sometimes you get in your car and instinctly reach to turn the headlights on then realize what you have done and throw the switch back to off. Don't do that! Wait for them to come all the way up THEN turn them back off.

I promise making sure you do these things will make sure your factory plastic gears never fail.

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    Try solution 1 first. It ALWAYS works as long as it has not been done already.

I personally have had some bad luck with the metal gear, my epoxy has not always held up for much more than a year or so and I also had a motor die.

Hind site, all the time and effort I spent in taking the motor apart and what not.. Might as well just replaced it with a new one Just me though, tons of people have done the metal gear.
    +1 on this.

Thread Information