pewter
    01 ws6

Angry Headlight issue?? help!

My driver side headlight is making an awful grinding noise once the lights are turned off. I'm not sure what the problem is because the headlight goes up and down without a problem. The noise is like delayed a couple of seconds. It's almost like the motor will not disengage. So I had to pull the fuse and leave the driver side light up. Is there a relay or something that tells the motor to stop? or is the motor bad?

Vendetta Red
    2000 Trans Am

Your gear is stripped.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Your gear is probably missing a tooth on the side its using (it only uses 50% of the gear). The gear inside is plastic and they tend to chip over time. You can do like i did a month ago and be cheap and lazy and take the gear out and flip it around. You might get lucky and it work for another 10 years but if youre like me you will end up having to buy a metal gear to fix it, because after i flipped it around another tooth broke. A new motor is about 250 bucks. A metal gear is about 45. I bought the Gear kit from Hawks 3rd Gen for 45 and im going to install it tomorrow.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I had that same problem when I bought mine. It's a really easy fix. Get the metal gears already mentioned. Install it and let the epoxy cure overnight. Re-install the motor in the morning. Might take some minor tweaking with the swing arm but you should be good to go after that. Make sure to clamp the motor while the epoxy is drying so it gets a good seal and won't pop off while the motor is operating.

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KillerCasey915 View Post
    I had that same problem when I bought mine. It's a really easy fix. Get the metal gears already mentioned. Install it and let the epoxy cure overnight. Re-install the motor in the morning. Might take some minor tweaking with the swing arm but you should be good to go after that. Make sure to clamp the motor while the epoxy is drying so it gets a good seal and won't pop off while the motor is operating.
    And use the 3 point reinforcement brace.
    I went with the hardened aluminum units and pressure packed them with water proof grease.
    Be sure the 3 tabs that hold the motor to the gear box are pressed tight and hold the assembly tight without any movement.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by KillerCasey915 View Post
    YES! please clamp it!!! I did not my first time and it popped off and ripped a gear. PITA!

Thread Information