Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Angry Headlight issue.. AGAIN

Alrights.. its frikin cold outside..12 degrees last night and my passenger side headlight doesnt want to lock in the up position it goes up then jiggles around..... The previous night it was sticking up so i hosed it down with PB blaster....i still have yet to replace my gears....they are fine... but the passenger side motor has been replaced by the previous owner(a good friend of mine).. So i was thinking two new motors and two new brass gears... should solve it ... correct???

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Alrights.. its frikin cold outside..12 degrees last night and my passenger side headlight doesnt want to lock in the up position it goes up then jiggles around..... The previous night it was sticking up so i hosed it down with PB blaster....i still have yet to replace my gears....they are fine... but the passenger side motor has been replaced by the previous owner(a good friend of mine).. So i was thinking two new motors and two new brass gears... should solve it ... correct???
    yeah, but those get kinda pricey...lol

you could always turn on ur lights run around to the passenger side and pull the light up to proper spot, i did that for awhile when i was broke.....lol

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Probably just need the gears, not motors. Research this site for the answer. BTW, it was 5 degrees here on Wednesday morning!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

it wont lock in the up position at all. I can probably get the motors kinda cheap. Id like to have the headlights go up at the same time. My stock drivers side is slow as crap.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

I think there is a valve you can open to keep the lights up during freezing conditions.

Look in your manual for that information. I believe it is there. You keep your lights up until the temps are over freezing if you only have an issue during the icy season. Saves the motors and gears.

Sorry, I live in Kali. I don't drive my car in freezing weather very often. She has a garage so I've never really had to think about it.

Best of luck ...

black trans am

its not a valve ... if u want to keep em up just trun them on and then unplug the wires from the motor .... they will stay up as long as u have them up when up unplug them... if the motor is blown u can just take the cap off the motor and them trun the top and they will pop up

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

These gears are worthless without the new brace that holds the cover and gear properly in place. Look into getting the braces listed here (http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html).

Too Fast...it was damn cold here this week, but it might be 60 by Monday. Hopefully it won't be raining so I can drive the T/A for the first time in 3+ weeks.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

OK, so I pull out my manual for the file cabinet. It says on the topic:

Maybe this will help out some. ;-)

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Thanks! Dickmans kit is what im ordering. btw

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    These gears are worthless without the new brace that holds the cover and gear properly in place. Look into getting the braces listed here (http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html).

Too Fast...it was damn cold here this week, but it might be 60 by Monday. Hopefully it won't be raining so I can drive the T/A for the first time in 3+ weeks.
    Yeah, supposed to be rain off and on, I did drive Too Fast to work Friday. Nice break from the single digit temps, tho.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Yeh, close to 50 degrees now is a nice change, but this rain sucks. I didn't buy my car with the intent of staring at it sitting in the garage everyday on my way to work.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Clear and 65 ish today.. two nights ago it was around 12.. wierd!!! I find out that the headlight motor nut to arm was loose as a goose. I cleaned. lubed.. and tighted it up them aimed them both... good to go for now! Still need to get the dickman kit and new motors...
    Probably fixed! thanks for the advice guys!

Silver
    98 A4 TA

Before I pulled out the headlight assemblies, I had replaced both my gears, and the brass ones stripped, as well. If you've ever pulled the motor assembly out, you'd notice that the joint between the actual motor and the housing where the new gear goes is held tight by four small metal clips that tend to loosen as the headlights go up and down thousands of times. If you tighten them up, the gears are less prone to stripping out, but you may have to do this every 6 months or so. It looks like that Dickman's kit (linked to above) may have fixed that problem, but in case the steel brace doesn't help, just remember to cinch down those little tabs.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Clear and 65 ish today.. two nights ago it was around 12.. wierd!!! I find out that the headlight motor nut to arm was loose as a goose. I cleaned. lubed.. and tighted it up them aimed them both... good to go for now! Still need to get the dickman kit and new motors...
    Probably fixed! thanks for the advice guys!
    Yeah, loose nuts will cause all kinds of problems. Glad it's fixed.

Thread Information