Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

headlight hell... ...

so.... second time around... walked to my car this morning, unlocked it via the remote and headlights go up, then down, then the passenger light goes GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

the drivers side low beam doesnt turn on, intermittent problem. when it doesnt work it has 12.4 volts at the connector, which had welded itself on, it was raining so i didnt mess with it any more... just got the voltage and went. the bulb could be bad, but its less than 1 year old.

any ideas on who has a good motor, either gear or whole assy. money is a issue, i heard about brass gears, but havnt seen any.

thanks for the help

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Sounds like your gear is stipped. Changing the gear is pretty easy. If you want to go cheap you can usually get away with flipping the gear around and using the opposite side as the gear only moves about 30 degrees so only a part of the gear is stripped.

Best answer is to fix it one time and be done with it using a brass or aluminum gear. Look on e-bay or maybe on of the sponsors on this site has them. Make sure you get the kit with the flat steel brace piece to help ensure that the headlight gear box doesn't open back up after you have done the required surgery.

I highly recommend you take a look at this video on FQuick http://www.fquick.com/videos/Install...ight_Gear/2024 . It is a full walk through of how to change the gear over.

Good luck!
    Steve
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 05-21-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Removed nonsponsor link

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

ive changed it before, probably a year and a half ago. im looking for something that will be done... it seams every time i turn the car on something with the headlights messes up, if not the headlights the drls. sometimes they wont pop up, both headlights have new motors in them. the drivers side had a small fire once at the low beam connector, then the connector for the whole assembly that hooks the motor/lights to the car went bad. now the connector to the low beam is stuck on, the plastic is melted to it. my guess would be too much amperage getting to the light frying everything.

any ideas on the specs on the amperage to the low beam?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Crap! Sorry for your situation. No I don't know the correct amperage.

Having chased electrical gremlins after a prior overheat my advice would be to find a complete replacement wiring harness and swap it out. Chances are with the kind of problems you are having you have multiple places in the harness (wires and/or connectors) that are causing shorts. You can fix problem after problem but in the end you are only treating symptoms until you get rid of all of the affected wires and connectors.

Good luck.
    Steve

White
    1998 Trans Am

Can do what I did and hit Autozone for a motor. Cheap and in stock had it fixed the same day and some new blinker sockets an electric flasher and some white leds to finish the look while I was at it. The orange didn't look good with the hid's.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information