Midnight Blue
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

Headlight gear fix

Hey Fellas ive read on here before and should have saved it but forgot but can't find the thread on the headlight plastic gear 180 degree rotation mine has been making the embarrasment noise for a while now both sides bought it that way from a stealership in 07' lookin back i musta been desperate for ls1 power, "it was just buy it so can quit driving my ford lol" just wondering if anyone has the link for it so i can use the good side of the worn plastic gear, a 180 turn for now,and brass gears later, do i remove the whole assembly and bring it into the house and disect or can be fixed up quick without taking out the entire peice, any help will be great im dreading the day that the headlight motors will keep running after i close the headlights and pull my battery till dead lol seems possible but hopefully wrong whats to stop it if the plastic gears are smooth what tells the motor to stop lol. anyway wanna fix it.
    Last edited by travs98ls1; 10-16-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

I do no have the link to write up sorry man. But I did it on my car and it was very simple. From what I remember...
    Take the rubber thing off a knob near anyone of the headlights, and twist the knob so the headlight rises.
    Then take the plastic cover that is around the headlights off(only a few scews).
    After that you will see the shaft coming out the headlight motor and when you turn the knob back and forth you will see it turn too at a different ratio.
    It has one nut on the end and once you remove the nut just slide the lever that the nut was holding in place out.
    While in the out position, turn the knob till the shaft makes half a turn and slide the lever back on the shaft(the lever has the same rectangular shape as the shaft) thats why it will fit like it is and when the shaft is givien a half a turn.

then do the other side...

I sure hope that helps, I did mine with out the write up and im sure if you mechanically inclinde even a little you can knock this out.

Its kinda funny that i left mine for 2 weeks of driving before i fixed it lol bc it was so easy to fix

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuolISwRJJg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuolISwRJJg[/ame]
    This was helpful when I rotated the gear in my light. I hope this helps and that the rotation fixes your problem.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

well hell, that was easier than my half-assed write up lol

good find dude

Thread Information