Thread: Headers?

Awaiting Activation

Headers?

What are the best sounding headers for the loudmouth? Im mostly bolt on's and might throw a cam in later on so what would be your advice? Should i get them or not. I find my exhaust to be a little to quiet. I was thinking KOOKS before but dont know if its worth spending $1000 for headers and a Y.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Are you running cats? No cats + headers + loudmouth = deaf. Very loud and raspy combo. I went with pacesetter headers with no cats and a flowmaster. Decent sound but I also have an e-cutout that I can open if I feel my hearing isn't being damaged enough. My original set up was just stock manifolds + cats + cutout. I ran the cutout open all the time and loved it. May want to give that a shot. Only about $50-$60 investment after you have someone weld it in.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

headers on a car all sound the same, it depends on what exhaust you use.
    the loudmouth, off road pipe and pacesetter headers or any header for that matter will be super loud.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Awaiting Activation
    im running cats. what if i swap to a traditional muffler like a flowmaster or borla???

soon to be T.A. owner

a flowmaster without cats sounds pretty good if u ask me.. thats what my brother has on his car.. and he has headers to put on it but since thats hard as hell to do on it wont get done for a while..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

headers really aren't that hard to install. Just time consuming. I think people get intimidated by the lack of room but after all is said and done there's not really that much to it.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

I tried getting a response in a previous thread about this topic... whats really involved with a header/y pipe swap...i'm planning on going with the MAC setup w/cats to a magnaflow catback ..............daily driver car so i gotta keep it reasonable

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I can't vouch for midlengths because I've never installed a set but I wouldn't think it to be much different than LT's. Just jack the car way the hell up in the air and put on stands because the headers have to come in from underneath. Cut your old exhaust out with a sawzall, remove your manifolds, and bolt all the new stuff in. There's a few other small things like your dipstick tube will have to come out ( 1 bolt). I strongly recommend 3" band clamps instead of U-bolts if you plan on ever taking it back out again. U-bolts crush the pipes and make them a pain to get apart. There's a write up somewhere on the web that goes into more detail. I'll try to find it for you and link it. Count on about a full day with a helper which is pretty much mandatory because at several points you'll need the extra set of hands.
    edit:
    The only install guide I could find was at ModernMuscleCars.net and they did the install the toughest way possible. They took off the valve covers, coil packs, lid, and jacked the motor up. I didn't do any of that, I just slid the headers in from the bottom. Much easier than their install.
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-21-2006 at 10:29 PM.

soon to be T.A. owner

my brother told me he has to drop the motor out from the bottom a lil bit and do it that way.. kinda like orion said only to drop the motor a lil bit..

Thread Information