Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

have you lost your top?

yesterday was a sad day for me. i was driving down interstate 40 in nc. there was my ws6, a black ws6, a white ws6 and a red firebird just playing around in the traffic. one after another we would just speed past each other and the slow pokes on the highway. wellllll......... after about 10 minutes of this i went around the black ws6 going about 110 mph when i heard some unusual wind in my car. i couldn't figure what the hell the problem was so i looked up and i seen the corner of the t-top lifting. i went to grab it but i wasn't fast enough, off it flew (i guess i didn't have it locked). thank god it didn't hit anyof the others i was with. i went up to the next exit turned around and went back hoping it was laying in the grass unbroken. all i found was the metal frame and the rubber that help the glass. how often do you run in a pack of ws6's? so rare and such a bad day when that happened. if you have any stories please share.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

i always freak out that that would happen to me, sucks man:/ i just moved into my new apartment in college station texas theres a white ss, a cammed ws6, a z28 and 2 normal camaros i can see just from my balcony, i think theres two other ws6s i know about in the entire complex, i'd love to get all the f-bodys together one day,

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    i always freak out that that would happen to me, sucks man:/ i just moved into my new apartment in college station texas theres a white ss, a cammed ws6, a z28 and 2 normal camaros i can see just from my balcony, i think theres two other ws6s i know about in the entire complex, i'd love to get all the f-bodys together one day,
    this was just perfect timing for me to run into all of them, as me and the red firebird were cruisin' the highway we kept running into more as they joined me as i went. the t-top this i would have never in a million years thought it would come off, i am pretty sure it is because i didn't lock it. in my town i see a few firbirds and very, very few t/a let alone another ws6

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

yea, i would love to join that ride if i could get a bunch of t/a's together myself

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Condolences on your loss. After reading a few horror stories on here, I always make sure our tops are locked.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Condolences on your loss. After reading a few horror stories on here, I always make sure our tops are locked.
    I make sure mine are locked also if I am driving with them on. Most of the time though, being mine is not driven daily, I have them off so no worries.

That really sucks what happened. Like you said though, at least it didn't fly out and smash into another car you were cruising with!

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Be careful with curious passengers....

Was driving my 85 Camaro and had a friend in the pass seat... going down the highway he looks up and says "Hey, whats this do?" And grabs the handle... but before I could say don't touch that... I hear WHOOOSH! And no t-top...

So I am staring at the rearview mirror waiting for the inevatible sight of the shattering glass on the road behind me... when he said, "Dude, pull over, this thing is heavy!"

He had held onto the handle at 70 mph and it didnt even hit the car!

So I pulled over, grabbed it from him, reattached it.. and he goes, "Guess I shouldn't do that again, huh?" LOL.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

So when we say locked, does that mean with the key? I figured just having the lever in so the pins were connected the the body was good enough?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Be careful with curious passengers....

Was driving my 85 Camaro and had a friend in the pass seat... going down the highway he looks up and says "Hey, whats this do?" And grabs the handle... but before I could say don't touch that... I hear WHOOOSH! And no t-top...

So I am staring at the rearview mirror waiting for the inevatible sight of the shattering glass on the road behind me... when he said, "Dude, pull over, this thing is heavy!"

He had held onto the handle at 70 mph and it didnt even hit the car!

So I pulled over, grabbed it from him, reattached it.. and he goes, "Guess I shouldn't do that again, huh?" LOL.
    I would have made him hitch hike home....

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would have made him hitch hike home....
    Had there been damage, I would have.. but seeing as though he held onto the damn thing (and 3rd gen tops are much heavier than 4th gens....) and didn't hit the car... figd he deserved to catch the ride back...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    So when we say locked, does that mean with the key? I figured just having the lever in so the pins were connected the the body was good enough?

With the key.

I have never checked to see how much the pins engage by on ours. When we bought the car, I had a part rattling around in one of the tops so I had to remove the trim cover to fix it. From what I recall there is no adjustment on the pin travel. Better safe than sorry - so I lock them.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Heard of it happening so I always make sure mine are latched in tho I seldom lock them. Theres a video on youtube of a guy losing his going down a dragstrip. I think it depends on how it lands cuz if I remember right his didnt break but he didnt have people behind him to help run it over tho................

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

that's what i can't figure out, when you open the latches you kinda have to pull it up, mine were not locked so i am thinking that somehow the handle wiggled open(maybe from the bumps in the road). when i went back to hget the remains the 2 pins where still intacked. from now one though i am definetly making sure they stay locked. i called the dealership and they wanted $671 for 1 t-top, i said hell with that so i called the salvage yard and they had a almost new one for $100. i went by that same day to get it.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Heard of it happening so I always make sure mine are latched in tho I seldom lock them. Theres a video on youtube of a guy losing his going down a dragstrip. I think it depends on how it lands cuz if I remember right his didnt break but he didnt have people behind him to help run it over tho................
    i was going about 110 mph when they came off. i have been up to 155+- and didn't come off, and at the time they where locked

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Had there been damage, I would have.. but seeing as though he held onto the damn thing (and 3rd gen tops are much heavier than 4th gens....) and didn't hit the car... figd he deserved to catch the ride back...
    damn dude, you got soooo lucky, i can't believe he held on to it

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Man, that sucks. Glad you found one at the salvage yard cheap though. I always make a habit to tell everyone that "that is not an "Oh Shit" handle, so don't grab it". And on that note, I'm going to go out to the garage and make sure they are locked in with the key.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Dont feel bad. I lost mine on my 2000 T/A when I was stationed in germany on the autobahn. I was going like 140 and all of a sudden I felt a blast of cold air and looked up and my top was gone. The only GM dealership within 100 miles wanted 700 Euros for one so I bought one online and had it shipped for around 250$.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by gokillyourself View Post
    damn dude, you got soooo lucky, i can't believe he held on to it
    Is your WS6 Green? I have never seen a green WS6. Plenty of T/As but never a WS6.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Yea you can always find some sort of f-body on I-40 I live off of I-40 in north carolina and I take it alot. But I am not home right now as I am in Iraq, but that sucks about your top.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Found any F bodies in Iraq yet.

Thread Information