Thread: h/c/i

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Cool h/c/i

hey everyone, i looked and could not find a sticky on this, so i am posting hoping for some help. I am going to start looking everywhere and amassing all the parts i need. I want to do heads, cam and intake. I dd it a little, but not to work and back. I want to come close to a supercharger level. I am not going to delete the cats or the stock manifolds. Maybe change the manifolds if i can keep the o2's and cats of some sort. what kind of package will i need? i need to know all the details. (roofer here). I'm thinking fast 90 intake, but other than that? I have a slp catback right now and just put in the spec stage 2 clutch. Sfc's are next. I found out already i have the ls6 intake and 243 heads. It makes 325 hp and 340 ftlbs before the cat back at the wheels.Thanks for your help, guys.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Why not delete cats or change manifolds? Here in Maricopa, I'm in and out of emissions in 10 min with my long tubes/cat delete. And headers are, of course, essential for making decent power.

I would consider buying a package from a site like texas speed or any of the sponsorers. Thats what I plan on doing when it comes that time for me this next summer...just to save headaches and so I can be sure everything will work together.

silver
    1999 SS

^what he said. AZ is awesome when it comes to emissions. OBDII cars only get plugged in to see if you're throwing codes. go with longtubes and no cats then get the codes tuned out. i'm currently running longtubes dumped pre-axle, also i have a healthy cam. i was in and out in 10 mins also.

as far as coming close to supercharger level, you're going to have to get a pretty decent sized cam with the right valve train upgrades, then port the sh*t out of your heads since you have 243's already, then you might be ready for a FAST setup. of course after all this you'll have to upgrade the rest of your drive train too. even then, i'm not sure how close you'll come to supercharger level with the stock displacement
    Last edited by hotpocket; 12-19-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: sqelling

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

get some wide band o2's to it will help with tuning, long tubes y or x pipe with some good mufflers so its not to loud, timing chain oil pump rods will be needed and I would replace all gaskets, and a very good tune, you also have to think about a new rear end and drive shaft I know a place you can get a 9 inch with all internals axles and a aluminum driveshaft rated for 1000 horsepower with many options the one i built was 3100 free shipping also. Think about replacing your clutch with a stage 3+ also some subframe connectors would help alot to, and you cant forget about tires. You also have to remember their is a tech section here that you will get alot more answers and replys from then here this isnt the section to post this in.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

You won't get anywhere near S/C level with a H/C/I. I'm around 450rwhp (guesstimating, and that's probably high) with Ported/Polished/Milled 5.3L Heads, Torquer V.2 Cam, and a FAST90 Intake. I'm helping a friend install a Vortech S/C on his '98 Vette and he is going to be in the 550rwhp range. My solution to keeping up with him was for me to throw on a 150 Shot of Nitrous.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    You won't get anywhere near S/C level with a H/C/I. I'm around 450rwhp (guesstimating, and that's probably high) with Ported/Polished/Milled 5.3L Heads, Torquer V.2 Cam, and a FAST90 Intake. I'm helping a friend install a Vortech S/C on his '98 Vette and he is going to be in the 550rwhp range. My solution to keeping up with him was for me to throw on a 150 Shot of Nitrous.
    THIS.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    If your friend is planning on making 550whp with a supercharger on a ls1 stock bottom end he will most likely need to rebuild it in a year of so.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    If your friend is planning on making 550whp with a supercharger on a ls1 stock bottom end he will most likely need to rebuild it in a year of so.
    Bob at EPP disagrees. 8lbs of boost on a stock bottom end will net between 500 to 550rwhp from what I have been told by him. And, if it's tuned properly, it is very reliable and safe.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6402
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 12-21-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Bob at EPP disagrees. 8lbs of boost on a stock bottom end will net between 500 to 550rwhp from what I have been told by him. And, if it's tuned properly, it is very reliable and safe.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6402
    A proper tune and fuel system are needed as stated in that post. Im not saying the engine will take a crap for sure but when running 8psi through a head unit big enough to make 550whp, on a high comp not built for boost v8 even the slightest miscalculation such as gas with a lower octane than stated or gas with too much ethonal can cause the tuning to be off and the engine go boom very quickly. People spin bearings and break rod bolts every now and then with less power and no boost adding that to the mix only increases the chances.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

ok, it seems the texas speed package is the way to go. I know i have to build the suspension and drive train, and brakes first. I was hoping i could keep my eyes open and pick up all the pieces at a good price here and there, but i would need a guru to do that. I will look into the packages.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Thread Information