Thread: Got the New TA

Red
    1999 Z28

Got the New TA

Alright Guys,
    The deal was finally closed today and I got my new toy. It's a 98 TA M6. I am wondering what kinda things I should do tommorrow when I start to play with it. Any good checks to make? Quick things I should do that you guys could reccommend? The only downfall is that my Camaro must go....it's gonna be a sad day
    Thanks,
    -Mav

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Just mainly check that the motor is in time. Make sure the lights work, and that the motor isnt striped on either side. Traction control might also be something to test. Check to make sure the doors are snug and the hatch. Also check the weather stripping and how the t-tops seal. Otherwise youll just have to take things as they come.. thats what I done, fix it as you find it. Good luck.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

just check and make sure the body moldings line up and the paint matches on all the body panels (indication if it has been in a wreck), listen to the motor for excess piston slap or ticking noises coming from the valvetrain (after warm up). While driving around listen for excessinve rear end noise.. Check fenderwhells and see if there is alot of rubber stuck under them (indication of weather or not it was a track car). run it thru all the gears and listen for any hessitation (if automatic).

Big Nasty

Artic White
    1998 Trans Am

It also wouldn't hurt to check your fuses in the fuse boxes. There have been a few times with my 98 that I have had some of the original fuses go bad. Better to do a little preventative maintenance today then tomorrow when it won't start.
    98 TA LS1/M6........79 Formula 400/TH400
    "I got the shakes that'll make you quake! I got the fries that'll cross your eyes! I got that burgers that'll... I just got burgers." - Cheeseburger Eddie

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Little late for checking the motor guys..he said he bought it already What was wrong with your Z? I'd change all fluids and flush out the coolant...do a full tune up and swap over basic mods from the Z

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

yes , roll the windows up and down a few times to make sure they seal correct.that is the only problem I have had with mine so far. Good tune up is a good idea , at least change the oil

Red
    1999 Z28

I got this car and am passing off my camaro because I have absolutelty loved the look of the TA since I was 15. Now the time has finally come for me to reward myself . Also, I have been wanting a 6 speed for some time now. None the less it should be a fun toy for the upcoming summer months! I will be changing the oil when I bring it out for the season. Also, what exactly would a tune up consist of? Unfortunately, I will not be able to drive it on the streets for about a month give or take because my dad needs to be here in person to register the car in his name at the secretary of state for insurance and so on reasons. Thats ok, a little buliding up of my want to drive it will just make it all the better when I bring her through town after a fresh wash with the tops out on a 80 degree day. Dam I cant wait.

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Congrats on your new ta... Funny but I have always been a chevy guy, but I make exceptions now and again...

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

congrats on the new ride

Black
    2001 Formula

As long as you're under there changing the oil, (or slip the guy at the oil change place a couple bucks to do it for you) put in a CAGS (Shift Skip) Eliminator. It's the first mod I did on my 6 speed and couldn't wait for it to get here. You'll love it and wonder how you ever put up with the tranny making you shift from 1st to 4th before!

1stbird

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1stbird
    As long as you're under there changing the oil, (or slip the guy at the oil change place a couple bucks to do it for you) put in a CAGS (Shift Skip) Eliminator. It's the first mod I did on my 6 speed and couldn't wait for it to get here. You'll love it and wonder how you ever put up with the tranny making you shift from 1st to 4th before!

1stbird
    110% agree with that.

F skip shift. I think mine was gone the 3rd day I had the car.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

If you're planning on getting a tune in the future i'd hold off on the plug-in skip shift elim...they can disable CAGS when you get a tune.

Mike24
    Good luck

Thread Information