Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

got my magnaflow put on

i got my muffler installed on Monday ad I have to say im a lil disappointed. it does sound better but sounds like a lot of stock ss and trans am's on the internet. Found a smoking deal on a lm2 system. how much louder than my magnaflow muffler would it be. the muffler sounds good just a lil quiet for me.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you have the stock manifolds on the car, the LM2 system sounds great and will be louder than the Magnaflow system, but not overwhelming. If you have headers installed in place of the stock manifolds, the LM2 system will be pretty loud and may generate some rasp at certain RPM levels.

From your description it sounds as though you simpy installed a muffler in place of the old one and left the original piping??

If so, you are still using your 2.75" I-pipe and 2 1/4" tailpipes, which will affect the sound a bit, taming it down some.

You'll also have a hard time getting much sound out of any muffler if you still run cats and stock manifolds.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The Magnaflow will get a little louder over time -- both Zach and I noticed that on our cars. It is still the best sounding muffler out there imo.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

I run long tubes, into a mufflex 4 inch ypipe and a magnaflow quad tip catback. I got rid of the cats and it sounds great. Not obnoxious at idle, but sounds fantastic when you get on it. It's a little louder and deeper then stock at idle.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have long tubes and a Kooks catted Y-pipe. When I need to be obnoxious, I just open the cutout.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

time for long tubes and a new Y pipe...that'll wake her up!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Magnaflow is by far my fav,not much louder than stock,really needs long tubes and ory!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I just noticed my Magnaflow system has broken again so im looking at another system. Going true dual just deciding wether I want to fork over the money for a full kooks setup or do something custom. Plus I never close my cutout since the magnaflow is too quiet.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    From your description it sounds as though you simpy installed a muffler in place of the old one and left the original piping??

If so, you are still using your 2.75" I-pipe and 2 1/4" tailpipes, which will affect the sound a bit, taming it down some.

You'll also have a hard time getting much sound out of any muffler if you still run cats and stock manifolds.
    Good observation - something the OP needs to answer if he ever comes back to this thread
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I just noticed my Magnaflow system has broken again so im looking at another system. Going true dual just deciding wether I want to fork over the money for a full kooks setup or do something custom. Plus I never close my cutout since the magnaflow is too quiet.
    What broke?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

3 words that will wake that exhaust up. Head Er S

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

First time the actual muffler split. This time the weld on the hanger bracket snapped. Easy fix but its more the irritation of something I hear is such high quality has broken twice.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We run Magnaflow stuff on 3 of our vehicles and have never had an issue. Zapper recently had the case open up on his truck exhaust and had to replace that, but that may have been under warranty.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Do Kooks TDs if you can afford it. I have them and their headers but not installed yet and I have to say the quality is top notch compared to others I have seen.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have a header setup already and spending 2500 just to convert to true duals isnt exactly sitting well with me. Especially with the car needing new tires and a clutch in the next 6-12 months.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    We run Magnaflow stuff on 3 of our vehicles and have never had an issue. Zapper recently had the case open up on his truck exhaust and had to replace that, but that may have been under warranty.
    When mine did it got replaced under warranty. Now this less then a year later. Its great that they have the warranty but two problems in a yr plus when it broke the hot tips rested against the bumper warping it some and the tips are going to have to be polished. Ive got a 6 litreater diffuser to put on that will cover the damage to the bumper. But its that final straw that just makes me want to pull it and do something new. Or as my gf says its my excuse.

Black/ Silver

I have a header setup already and spending 2500 just to convert to true duals isnt exactly sitting well with me. Especially with the car needing new tires and a clutch in the next 6-12 months.
    $2500? I got mine for $1500 (at the WS6TORE) but I have all the other suspension stuff needed minus the BMR DSL required but it will come under $2000 total. However, if there are other things your car needs I would get those first.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 03-21-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Either way, it's still a lot of money lol.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Either way, it's still a lot of money lol.
    Worth it though or at least to me it is since I will never need a different exhaust system no matter my build, whether it is the 396 I am building or like I want to eventually have, a supercharged 454.

Thread Information