gonna buy an ls1. is this one any good?

hey, im new here. im currently looking for trans am's right now and i came across a really food deal. its a 98 trans am. the body and interior looks really good. but there is a problem.

it was listed as 90xxx miles on the car. but im guessing it is a new motor?

this is the descriptioin on the car

"A 98 Trans Am that I have been spending the last several months getting back close to perfection. It runs and drives perfect. The body shell has 137K miles but everything mechanical has been fixed, replaced, of gone through in one way or the other. "

i havent checked it out in person yet because the car is a 5 hour drive away from me. if you guys think that the car is good and i should get it than imma drive over there and buy it right away. it is going for $6000. plz! i need opinions! fast too! i dont wnt this car to get away!

2000pontiac6
    I would say call him with any questions you have. It seems like a decent deal but its low cost is because of the 137K miles. just my two cents

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Sounds like a pretty good deal if it really was rebuilt and going for 6k. Ask him if he has any of the receipts for any major rebuilds etc. then ask if it's been in any accidents or what not. I have 105k on my TA which is actually good for a 98. I got mine for 17k bone stock with 37k on the clock a few years ago and that was a deal. I take it it's a base TA and not a WS6 right? Just ask him for pics as well and if it looks good, say you'll take it.

its acuually is a ws6. thats the problem. it is going for soo cheap! sounds like there is something wrong, but imma call the guy up and ask some questions.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ask for sure if he's had any major motor rebuilds. I blew my stocker a while back and I'm on my 2nd motor. The valvetrain is really sensative and bent pushrods are very possible if it's the stocker. But hey, on the bright side, you can spend and extra 7k and drop in a new motor if it is the motor. So all in a ll it sounds like a deal for 6k. If everything is sound, go for it. But if I were you, go down and check out the car in person. Take it to a mechanic to check it out. Find a good one in the area. You are entitled to run a diagnostic on it. If there's nothing major, go ahead and buy the car

Black
    99 SS

run a car fax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it saved me once on a deal that sounded to good to be true

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

run a carfax is a good idea, but carfax won't report blown motors or minor fender benders that the owner may have decided not to report

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

for 40$ or w/e just run the damn report-or get the VIN and ask any GM dealer to run a service report on it. Only services performed by GM will show up, but if he blew a motor or something while under warrenty then i would think it would have been taken care of by GM. Good luck.

ps, Zboner is right-he almost bougth a ws.6 that was in a flood.

Thread Information