Thread: gas removal

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

gas removal

Is there a good way to remove old gas from a 00. I actually don't know its bad, it has been sitting in there since nov. Or should I just put like an octane booster in it? I just don't want to clog anything up.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You are probably ok as that is not all that old. However, old gas can gum up the fuel inlet sock and other components. Better to get it out if it is real old and fresh stuff in. Run the old crap in your lawn mower or something as that is much easier to service than your car's fuel system. A standard siphon pump that you can get at most parts stores (the kind with the squeeze bellows) will work just fine. Always use Stabil or something similar for winter storage.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You are probably ok as that is not all that old. However, old gas can gum up the fuel inlet sock and other components. Better to get it out if it is real old and fresh stuff in. Run the old crap in your lawn mower or something as that is much easier to service than your car's fuel system. A standard siphon pump that you can get at most parts stores (the kind with the squeeze bellows) will work just fine. Always use Stabil or something similar for winter storage.
    I know I should have used it, i just never got around to getting some. I am just concerned about there being that screen in the inlet preventing a hose getting into it. I know my wifes jeep had one.

silver
    2000 formula

if your really adventurous........GM does have a tool for siphoning gas out of the tank.....its a aluminum tube that fits in the opening and a plastic hose that you put thru that to suck it out.......i have 1 but have never used it

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Your gas is not old enough to cause any problems. As long as the gas was ok to begin with! Drive it to get some fresh gas, fill it with premium, and don't worry. Any problems that *may* happen would've happened anyway.

Seriously, don't worry about it. I've been an ASE Master/L1 certified mechanic since 1989....

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The other way i know to get the gas out is to disconnect the fuel line before the fuel filter. Put a bucket under it. Go to the engine compartment and pull the fuel pump relay and put a small jumper to run the pump constanly. once you empty it remove the jumper, put the relay back and put the hose back.

I tried one of those suction pump and the hose was getting stuck in the feul pipe (i have metal tank)

The only problem with this is that the old fuel is running thru your pump if there is a concern for it. Like they mention your fuel is not that old.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I think you'll be ok too..

After you run a freash tank through it I'd toss on a new fuel filter just for the hell of it tho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Yeah that is what a buddy told me at work. Just top it off with premium and i should be fine. Its nice workin at summit because if you don't know the answer, you can usually find it real quick. Im glad I don't have to fiddle with it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by redrocketws6 View Post
    Yeah that is what a buddy told me at work. Just top it off with premium and i should be fine. Its nice workin at summit because if you don't know the answer, you can usually find it real quick. Im glad I don't have to fiddle with it.

We're planning a trip out to the store on April 9th. You working that day?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I think you'll be ok too..

After you run a freash tank through it I'd toss on a new fuel filter just for the hell of it tho..
    I was already planning on doing that along with all new fluids from front to back..you know just a spruce up.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    We're planning a trip out to the store on April 9th. You working that day?
    april 9th... saturday yes, I should have my car out.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    The other way i know to get the gas out is to disconnect the fuel line before the fuel filter. Put a bucket under it. Go to the engine compartment and pull the fuel pump relay and put a small jumper to run the pump constanly. once you empty it remove the jumper, put the relay back and put the hose back.
    Thats how I would do it if I were doing it...

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

a garden hose and a 5 gallon bucket should do you fine

Thread Information