Thread: Fuel injectors

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Fuel injectors

how difficult would it be to put in new fuel injectors i drive a 1999 firebird with a 3.8, and how would i know which ones to get?

Pewter Metallic
    '02 WS6 M6 - The Reaper

extremely simple. remove wiring clips from top of injector. pull out on the little silver clips on the injector, pull up on injector. done.

what kind depends on future plans for you motor.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

sounds easy enough any special tool to pull them out, and nothing major in plans for the motor just want good gas milage

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

No, they pop right out. The only tool that comes in handy is some kind of small pick to pop the clips off. You will most likely need some sort of tuning to get your mixture right, though. I went from stock to 39# on my build, and the car would not stay running on it's own before adjusting the injector slope.

Now you say you want good milage, so are you going smaller?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Ya why change them? I just had my buddy hook up to my rails with some fuel injecter cleaner run off compressed are to make up for diconnecting the fuel pump, car runs smoother and little more power and better mileage when not on the pedal. I plan to go bigger after the cam and other mods but he told me to clean mine and they'll be good for a while. Did my Trailblazer with 120k and it got about a 2mpg gain
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

NBM
    99 TA

Do not run larger injectors without a tune...you will be spraying down the cylinders with excessive fuel.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Maybe this will help some..

3800 vin C injectors -- 19.0 lb/hr

3800 vin L injectors -- 21.2 lb/hr

3800 SC vin 1 injectors -- 29.0 lb/hr

3800 Series 2 (non SC) Rochester 17103146 injectors -- 21.2 lb/hr

3800 Series 2 (non SC) Bosch 0280150973 injectors -- 21.2 lb/hr

@43.5 psi..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

yes that chart helped alot, and i want to replace them cause my gas milage is crap still even after new tires belt MAF sensor driver side O2 sensor flowmaster muffler jet stage 2 chip double electrode plugs msd wires k&n air filter radiator flush tranny flush new fuel filter fluid changes on time never late with royal purple products dont hot rod around on it and im gettin 315-340 a tank...so hopefuilly new injectors will help

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    yes that chart helped alot, and i want to replace them cause my gas milage is crap still even after new tires belt MAF sensor driver side O2 sensor flowmaster muffler jet stage 2 chip double electrode plugs msd wires k&n air filter radiator flush tranny flush new fuel filter fluid changes on time never late with royal purple products dont hot rod around on it and im gettin 315-340 a tank...so hopefuilly new injectors will help
    I see your problem.....

Drop the RP and switch to Mobile 1 or Amsoil much better products.

some days I miss my ol' Firebird. I wish I got 315-340 a tank.. I'm lucky to get 280 on a 14 gal tank with the T/A

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I see your problem.....

Drop the RP and switch to Mobile 1 or Amsoil much better products.

some days I miss my ol' Firebird. I wish I got 315-340 a tank.. I'm lucky to get 280 on a 14 gal tank with the T/A
    Haha...I'm happy when I hit 200 miles on a tank. And that was before the cam and heads...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

That's about what I get.. Are you sure theres's an injector issue? Or are you just trying to get back some efficientcy(sp)? If your mileage is high there's only so much you can do. Very cheap to rebuild the engine to near stock specs or pick up a crate..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-25-2010 at 01:01 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Bring #1 up to *top dead center* mark the damper with white caulk or soap stone. Hook up a timing light and see if the mark jumps around.. If the mark jumps back and forth alot and does'nt hold relatively steady (@ idle) then the timing chain is shot..

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

when i first bought the car i was gettin 375 a tank that was at 122000 miles im at 145000 now and gettin lucky to hit 340 i assumed with the mods ive done i should be gettin in the low 400's per tank atleast, the jet chip increases milage the muffler does aswell new MAF sensor should help and O2 sensor, am i right or no?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

when i first bought the car i was gettin 375 a tank that was at 122000 miles im at 145000 now and gettin lucky to hit 340 i assumed with the mods ive done i should be gettin in the low 400's per tank atleast, the jet chip increases milage the muffler does aswell new MAF sensor should help and O2 sensor, am i right or no?
    That's very high mileage.. I doubt a new MAF and o2 sensor will give you much of a gain if any.. @ best maybe a couple of cents per gallon.. If there's nothing wrong with your current MAF what makes you think changing it will help..? The fact is the engine has a ton of mileage on it, reguardless if it runs good or not.. I'd would be surprised to see any crosshatching left in the bores really. Not trying to be a d*ck here but you maybe asking for more than the engine is capable of @ this point in it's life.. Even with 26k on mine when I got it, it never saw low 400's per tank.. I don't put much stock in (obdII) chips either.. What they say they do and what they do are usually 2 different things. Ever think of getting a tune?
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-25-2010 at 05:22 PM.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    That's very high mileage.. I doubt a new MAF and o2 sensor will give you much of a gain if any.. @ best maybe a couple of cents per gallon.. If there's nothing wrong with your current MAF what makes you think changing it will help..? The fact is the engine has a ton of mileage on it, reguardless if it runs good or not.. I'd would be surprised to see any crosshatching left in the bores really. Not trying to be a d*ck here but you maybe asking for more than the engine is capable of @ this point in it's life.. Even with 26k on mine when I got it, it never saw low 400's per tank.. I don't put much stock in (obdII) chips either.. What they say they do and what they do are usually 2 different things. Ever think of getting a tune?
    I have a new MAF sensor cause the old one was bad no doubt, and already have 1 new O2 sensor and cause my SES light was on for O2 sensor. An your cool lol not bein a D*ick but i didnt know i could get a tune for the v6 id do it if it help...whats the price range and where do you do that at? i dont know of any shops around my area that do that.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I have a new MAF sensor cause the old one was bad no doubt, and already have 1 new O2 sensor and cause my SES light was on for O2 sensor. An your cool lol not bein a D*ick but i didnt know i could get a tune for the v6 id do it if it help...whats the price range and where do you do that at? i dont know of any shops around my area that do that.
    You could send it to Frost. He's got the best rate and knows exactly how tunes work and what needs done for mods.. Your car is OBDII so there sould'nt be any tuning issues. I have a friend that will be doing my tunes. I generally don't pay for tuning.. Most upgrades, like cams, heads, headers, etc require a tune to bring things into line. May want to look into a wide band 02 aswell for more precise AFR's. Tuning is the key to drivablity and power imho.. But I'm NO tuner, I still have to get someone else to tune my builds..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-28-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added to

Thread Information