Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Frost tune or Dyno tune?

Ok, so, my car needs a tune bad...like real bad..my car needs a tune like Justin Beiber needs to hit puberty. The cross road i'm at is should i take it to the dyno 2 miles away from me? Or go with the frost tune that everyone goes crazy about. Its all basically boltons with a hypertech tune (which needs to be returned to stock according to the dyno shop before they do their part). Suggestions?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Well, if you have the money I would take it down the street and have them do a full out dyno tune. Most places charge 150.00/hr plus parts. For one hr of dyno time you can get a custom tune by Frost which is what I am running at this time and I love it. Frost set up the software to the stuff you already have on the car. The chassis dyno is better because it is done in real time and you can play with different settings while the car is running and you can also change parts to see what works best. Different tunes for different dollars. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Frost tune is excellent but the dyno tune can net you better results since its a customized tune to your car. Just depends on how much you wanna spend. Frost is 150 a dyno tune can run upwards of 400 or more depending on place and how involved they get.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

For a bolt on car, I would not hesitate to go with a Frost mail order tune. Once you start changing things like the cam and heads, then a dyno tune would be a better choice.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    For a bolt on car, I would not hesitate to go with a Frost mail order tune. Once you start changing things like the cam and heads, then a dyno tune would be a better choice.
    Exactly. Just installed headers on the car today. Got a frost tune for it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I vote Frost with your mods. Add more mods with the money saved.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Absolutely agree. Frost has the basic LS1 tune nailed. You'll probably spend a lot more money on a Dyno tune and not get anything noticeable in return.

Black
    99 Trans am

With bolt-ons Frost....Internal--Dyno.
    2 Frost tunes here..

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

I have a frost tune and got it dynoed at the same time, I am only a hour away so it was dynoed by him. If you have basic bolt ons he is your best bet for mail order. Just tell him what you have done and he will get you there.
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

Black
    1999 GTP

i have a 01 trans am with a texas motorspeed .609 lift cam, long tube headers and a lid... stock intake/tb etc, has o/r y pipe 3" and 3" spintec catback... no cats though.

Car has a hundred codes that come up and runs so rich at idle, it barely stays running without holding the gas to keep rpms up until warm... almost smells like raw fuel in the air at idle, i'd assume a dyno tune is the only way to go about getting it straightened out? i have no idea what kinda tune or no tune is even on the car, bought it used. Could it run with a factory tune and just be crappy like this?

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

^ Sounds like the previous owner threw a cam in and didn't bother to spring for a dyno tune. Cars run like shit after a cam swap. I'd take it real easy on the car until you can get it to a tuner.

Thread Information