Thread: Frost Tune

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Frost Tune

I'm ready to send off my PCM to frost this week since I'll be on vacation but I'm not ready to change my ring and pinion gear till later next month. My question is...Would it be that big a deal to have it re-tuned for a 3.73 gear now, instead of waiting and paying another 150.00?
    And if not, would my speedo be off by much?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Get it done now. I think Steve gives a break for a minor change like gear ratio but just do it now and be done with it.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    I'm ready to send off my PCM to frost this week since I'll be on vacation but I'm not ready to change my ring and pinion gear till later next month. My question is...Would it be that big a deal to have it re-tuned for a 3.73 gear now, instead of waiting and paying another 150.00?
    And if not, would my speedo be off by much?
    When I did my gears I just used my GPS for my speed, its not perfect but it was in the ball park. But I am with everyone else just get it tuned in now and be done with it.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Thanks everyone
    Besides listing my mods, anything I need to know or need to ask for, when I send it?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Frost has a list of stuff needed when you order it. Also stuff you will want him to know will be if you want rear 02 turned off, air/egr deleted, lower fan temp speeds etc.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Its $75.00 for a retune from Frost.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Its $75.00 for a retune from Frost.
    Is this true I never read anything about this and I'm too going to try and change my rear end next spring with 373's . That is if I can find a deal on 12bolt.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Is this true I never read anything about this and I'm too going to try and change my rear end next spring with 373's . That is if I can find a deal on 12bolt.
    I sent him $150.00 for a retune and he refunded me $75.00 saying I paid too much.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Got my PCM back today. Definitely a difference on my shift points!! A little "twitchy" right now but, that's to be expected till the PCM learns air/fuel again. I wish he would have sent out some sort of print-out of what he did. The before and after. One good thing right now...... no check engine light

I'll take it out again later and give it a "kick in da arse". So far..VERY HAPPY with the work Steve has done
    Back to the question about the gear change. Since I haven't changed it yet, will my speedo be off higher or lower? I can take a theoretical guess but, that's all it would be.
    Last edited by Nutball; 08-12-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Guessing you have a 2.73 gear in the car now? If you have a 3.23 gear (which was a factory standard on all WS.6 and SS automatics, a lower gear like a 3.73 won't be too much of a difference.

Either way, if you go to a lower gear (higher gear ratio like a 3.73 or 4.10) from a higher gear, like a 2.73, your speedometer will read faster than what you are actually driving. Example: with a change from 2.73 to 3.73 your car will say 60mph, but your actual speed will be 44.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Since you still have the stock gear (what ever that may be) and Steve has calibrated your speedo for the "not yet installed" 3.73's, then he has effectively slowed the speedo down to work with the new gear.

So technically with your stock gear, your car will be going faster than what the speedo is reading. So it will be easy to get a ticket

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That is also true. Didn't catch the part where Steve already tuned the car for a lower gear. If that's the case, then yes...buy a radar detector or use a GPS app so you know your speed lol.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Yup, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Like I said theoretically I knew, but would rather have a definite answer then a guess. And I can say it truly is off by about 15mph at the least. And a radar detector was something I was already contemplating.
    Thanks Jon and FBJ.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

NP. I'll have to see this car one of these days. I'll meet you 1/2 way - so we'll both only have to drive 5 minutes lol.

Thread Information