Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light pewter metallic
    2000 Formula Ram Air

Front License Plates in Texas (again)

I know that this has been discussed in the past.

So I am the original owner of a 2000 Formula Firebird purchased in November of 1999. I have had a front license plate on the car displayed in the
    windshield since the purchase date.

So, I've owned the car for 12 years, give or take, all in Texas, and yesterday on a trip to El Paso/Big Bend area, I get stopped by the Texas State Highway Patrol for no front license plate. They give me a warning ticket and tell me that the plate needs to be on the front of the car, not in the windshield.

A half hour later I get stopped AGAIN, by another HP, and after seeing my warning ticket from 1/2 hour earlier tells me to have a nice day and they drive
    off.

Is this gray area being used as a pretense to stop vehicles or do I really neede to move my licese plate from the windshield to the front facia?

TY,

NY

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Well, in NJ you do. In my state they can and will pull you over and give you a 75 dollar ticket. I bought a front bracket from SLP, looks decent and it will not hurt the car. You can get one on Ebay.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Getting pulled over twice on the same day for the same thing could be a sign that the LEO's are being pressured to make a quota. All states are in need of money. So, you can either chance it, perhaps it was just a fluke, or, end up getting written up again and paying a fine

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Where i live you have to mount the plate exactly where it was designed to go. You cannot display plates in windshield or to the side of where the factory put the mounts. Whats a leo??/ is that another name for the po po?????

Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Law Enforcement Officer, but I call them government revenue generators.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thank goodness we only run rear plates in PA.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6Indy View Post
    Law Enforcement Officer, but I call them government revenue generators.
    They call them 5 0 in the hood
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP, yes TX requires that front plates must be on the vehicle for cars register in the state of TX.

I used to live in TX. They will also stop cars not register from TX too, I've been stop several times when visiting my family, every time I ask why they always say because of no front plate. I have to remind them I'm not register in the state or a resident << seems to bug them.

There is a solution to this issue but it will cost ya'

This one is motorized:
    Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder [motoplatehold] - $150.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here

This one is manual:
    Hide Away Plate Holder Hide Away License Plate Holder [PLATEHOLD] - $60.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here

Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    They call them 5 0 in the hood
    Is that due to the TV series or some other ghetto reason?
    Last edited by 99WS6Indy; 10-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I wish VA didn't require front plates...or at least let me put it up on the dash.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6Indy View Post
    Is that due to the TV series or some other ghetto reason?
    comes from the days they used 5.0 Mustangs as Hwy patrol.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    comes from the days they used 5.0 Mustangs as Hwy patrol.
    I think it has more to do with the special force in the series Hawaii 5-0, which first aired in 1968

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

Hey what part of Dallas are you from!? I graduated from Hillcrest HS

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Scott and Dena, you're both correct. Being a cop, I've heard 'em all
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    Scott and Dena, you're both correct. Being a cop, I've heard 'em all
    I'm sure there are plenty. Hawaii Five-0 was the first thing that came to my mind. Book'em Danno

Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

I thought Five - 0 was because Hawaii was the 50th state to join the union. I'd like to ask Obama which one is the 57th...lol

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    OP, yes TX requires that front plates must be on the vehicle for cars register in the state of TX.

I used to live in TX. They will also stop cars not register from TX too, I've been stop several times when visiting my family, every time I ask why they always say because of no front plate. I have to remind them I'm not register in the state or a resident << seems to bug them.

There is a solution to this issue but it will cost ya'

This one is motorized:
    Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder [motoplatehold] - $150.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here

This one is manual:
    Hide Away Plate Holder Hide Away License Plate Holder [PLATEHOLD] - $60.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here
    I had the same idea but somehow (lol) it would stay in stock location and just flip around to reveal the grill on the otherside? Im NOT an engineer/robotics student so i dont know how to do all this but i just like the idea of it? I know theres not enough room in back of the grill to ''flip it over'' but i think with time and thought one could make it work. After getting tickets and all i just relented and put the bitch on!
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 10-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I wish VA didn't require front plates...or at least let me put it up on the dash.
    In Calif.they are required! Also tinted side windows are illegal too! A cop told me that the front window/ dash thing that i see alot of guys do is dangerous besides illegal because in an accident the plate will become a very sharp projectile and hurt ya!...The reason they require you to have a front license plate THEY SAY> is so that you can be identified if you have a rear collision with someone or if police are in front of you they can identify the car- which i think is BS..they dont have front plates on motorcycles? nor require them to be smogged! whats their lame excuse there! Its just the luck of the draw? Funny thing is i went around for over a year in 2002-2003 with the dealership plastic plates on cause i was so damn happy to have my first new car1 LOL.and i was never bothered once! I had no front plates from 2002 to 2011 with no problem well was warned once or twice but no tickets until 2011?
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 10-05-2012 at 03:12 PM.

It is illegal to not have a front license plate in Texas. But there is no fine for it. I heard this from a few friends that get the warnings all the time lol.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just bought a car out of New York State and it had the front plate mount on the bumper. Had to drill out 4 rivets to remove it and when I got it off I found that the bumper cover was slightly deformed around each hole.

Thread Information