black
    1998 trans am

friend looking for approx. value of his t/a

i have a business contact with a 97 trans am a4 he is looking to possibly sell in the near future. car has 19,000 original miles on it, garage kept and covered. i have not seen the car in person, but have seen some pictures of it and it appears to be super clean, no modifications at all. it is also a bit of a unique color, from what i know. it's like a blue/green color, i haven't seen too many of this color myself.

anyway - kbb is of no help in getting a real value for these types of things and he was hoping to get some kind of an idea of what these things are going for realistically. any help would be appreciated!

Red
    2001 ws6

for a 97 with 19k miles its tricky.....if you find the right person they might pay 15k for it.....but realistically im saying 10k

black
    1998 trans am

yeah i was thinkin probably 15k or so. but it is a tough thing to gauge...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

nada and kbb will give you a good starting point.

black
    1998 trans am

kbb says its worth $6400! thats a joke. anyhow, i told the guy i'd mention the car on here to see if anyone was looking for a nice low mile t/a.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

you are right. KBB and NADA are jokes... I mean they valued my car at 18,500 when I bought it... yet I only paid 11,500. Truth is, and it's why it took me two years to find the "right" car, the market for these doesn't really exist anymore. There are tens of thousands of good condition 93-02 v8's out there and fewer buyers than cars. Kids today want 2010 camaros, challengers and 2005+ stangs. If they aren't into the American muscle, a continuing trend that is showing signs of slowing or even reversing, they are looking at 350 and 370z's Infiniti G's Evo's STI's.... heck the local weekly meet in my neck of the woods has a small muscle section and a TON of imports... and by imports i'm talking right hand drive imported JDM cars. No i'm not in SoCal. I didn't just walk off the set of the latest FnF.... It's reality. To tell ya the truth they LOVE my car. There is some big annual meet going down in NJ soon and the import crowd I hang with is begging me to bring the hawk. They think it has a shot at best American car, since there would be so few .

I digress.... The low mileage helps your friend.... a LOT. The only people left that want these cars are people that are serious about them. If the car is stock, even more brownie points for him. I got lucky spending 11,500 for mine. Given the low miles and the stock condition I would have been willing to spend more. The fact that it's an LT1 4th gen means his market is considerably smaller. Most 4th gen enthusiasts lust for an LS1 but there are those among us that do in fact prefer the LT1 style.

I'd say the car is indeed worth more than kbb's 6,400 that sounds a little low given the mileage. Although i don't think he could get more than say 10k for it. Also 10k would be if he found the right buyer. I don't see many people lining up to part with 10k for a 13 year old car.

You have any pics? I'm sure with such low miles the car must look fabulous!

Black
    1999 trans am

My dad just sold his 97 z28 with 20,000 for $12,000.... It sold the first day he had it posted on craigslist so start at $15,000 and see what happens.

His was also a vert with a 6 speed but if someone wants the car they will pay for it

White
    1998 Trans Am

Main thing is where you live. It could be worth $10k or $15k. If you live in a area where people like those cars and there are only a few around it'll bring in more cash, but if your in a area where there are alot of TA's to choose from and not many selling better to hold onto it or try ebay to see if you can find a buyer in another area looking for a clean, low mileage, TA in one of the more rare colors. Problem is there are alot of low mileage formula's and TA's for sale cheap as long as you don't mind going to get it.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

location is key but it also depends on how quickly you wanna sell it...if you are feeling it out or taking your time on selling it mark it high...a lot of the deals are found when someone gets into financial crisis and needs to sell asap

White
    1998 Trans Am

Here is an example my friend just sold his 2001 NBM z/28 6spd w/37k leather,ttops, all the toys plus mint condition with
    ARH LongTube Headers with catted y-pipe,
    SLP Loud Mouth II catback with GMMG pipes,
    LS7 clutch with LS2 flywheel,
    Ported Throttle-Body by Bo White,
    Fast Toys Ram Air,
    UMD Air Lid,
    BMR tq arm, panhard, and LCAs,
    BMR Lowering springs,
    BMR Strut Tower Brace,
    Bilstein struts/shocks up front,
    SLP Subframe connectors,
    Hurst shifter,
    Rev Extreme catch can
    He was asking $12k and sold it in a week or two but think he took $11,000 for it. I remember when a car like that would have been $15k and 75,000 mile cars were selling for $10 to $11k. With the economy it depends on the area your in and if you have no time frame mark it up and see where the offers come in and you'll see hat it's worth.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

my last car was a 97 ta..red with a4, cloth interior, nothing special..but it was a trans am and i got 5k for it with 115000 miles as a trade in for my ceta i have now..so u should def be able to see anywhere from 10 to 15 for it i would think.

Thread Information