Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Flowmaster Muffler? WHICH ONE?!!?

First off.. The car had pretty much stock exhaust when I got it.. It had a different muffler and 3" pipe about halfway back and to the muffler.. Well it only has one exhaust pipe becasue I guess when the previous owner had the car the other pipe fell off, becasue there is a hole in the muffler! Well anyways I orignally wanted to buy a 3" inlet dual outlet Flowmaster Super 40 (blakc muffler) for it.. Well I looked and couldn't find one and I just bought a regular 80 Series Flowmaster today... And then I turned around and found the Super 40 I wanted!! So I pretty much want to know which one will sound meaner?? I want it to sound Mean lol! Which one would be the best? Thanks guys

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Flowmaster's suck for ls1's they don't flow for shit, go with something else anything else for that matter.

They do sound good but they won't do a thing for performance

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Its just a Muffler, not their catback system or anything.. A muffler won't hurt anything.. I didn't want to know if they flowed good or not, I asked which one sounded better

Super 40

OR

80 Series

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    Its just a Muffler, not their catback system or anything.. A muffler won't hurt anything.. I didn't want to know if they flowed good or not, I asked which one sounded better

Super 40

OR

80 Series
    slp loudmouth 1 is the only way to go...........end of story

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

I want a temporary muffler for now until I end up actually buying a loudmouth system... Unless I can just get a loudmouth 1 that fits my stock exhaust

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

A buddy of mine did a custom exhaust with the Super 40. I'm not sure how well it flows...but it sure sounds mean as hell. He also has headers and it's an LT1 car though...

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Has anyone heard a 80 series?

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but... I think the "higher" the series number the quieter the muffler. When I had my LT1 car it had a 50 series Flowmaster.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Well on flowmastermufflers.com it has a chart and the 80 series is Right behind the 40 series in exterior loudness.. I am looking for a muffler that is Really loud but sounds mean.. My 94 chevy pickup is loud, but doesn't sound mean lol I want a mean sound, aggressive

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Well than if I were you I would get a Magnaflow muffler. It flows good and sounds mean.

http://www.magnaflow.com/

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

I am looking for someone who has heard a Super 40, or a 80 Series on a pretty much stock exhaust T/A

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

I have heard both, and if you want the car to be "loud" than get a SLP loud mouth cat-back sytem. If you want "annoying loud" then add headers to it. Just changing mufflers isn't going to make your car sound like a "race car". Most performance mufflers sound about the same when you just change the muffler. If you want a total different sound then you will have to invest the money and go with a complete system like, cat-back, custom true duals, headers, y-pipe, off road pipe etc..

Some cat-back system have the ability to adjust to exhuast note like Borla. Most LS1 guys don't use Flowmaster for the reason stated above in an earlier post. Alot of guys on this board go with systems like Magnaflow, SLP loud mouth, GMMG, Borla and cutom true dual set up's. I doubt you'll get too much response from people who run Flowmaster. It's a good brand just not the best for hard core LS1 guys.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

SLP Loudmouth

Is the Loudmouth just LOUD or does it actually sound mean?

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    Is the Loudmouth just LOUD or does it actually sound mean?
    It sounds good but gets a little too loud when you add headers to it. SLP makes a quieter version called the loud mouth II.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

I think I will just go with my temporary 80 series muffler fix.. I don't really have any other choice, I have a hole in my muffler now and I don't have the money for a catback at this time so, temporary it is.. I was just hoping someone would know which one actually sounded better

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

I think it will sound good. If you want it a little louder than have a muffler shop weld you up a custom y-pipe with no cats. That shouldn't cost too much and it will make the car sound alot meaner. That is of course if emissions aren't going to be an issue where you live.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

What do you mean by a custom Y? I am having a custom exhaust shop put some tips on, the muffler and custom make me 2 tail pipes becasue I am missing one completely where that hole is...

Black
    2001 T/A M6

the 40 series will be louder, i believe they are 1 chambers and the 80 series are 2 chambers maybe even 3 i don't remember, but the only difference in the mufflers series is how many chambers it has, 1 is the loudest, 2 is medium and 3 is quiet and pretty much a stock sound, if you want loud and mean use the 40, and yes get rid of anything flowmaster on that car ASAP, i have them on my 72 chevy truck and it sounds sick as hell, but its a 350 block no cats and true duals, so of course its gona sound sick

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Sinister T/A a stock y pipe doesn't contain your cats, your cats are bolted to your exhast manifolds and then to your y pipe. You are thinking of the aftermarket y-pipes that are catted for use with long tube headers.

98T/Aformula
    The guy who owned my car befor me put a 40 series on it and it sounds pretty good, it was just the muffler though so it was not that loude but im assuming better then stock...I went with an electric cut out as well, I also recomend that, and they are fairly cheep and make your car sound like a beast ! 40 series overall you get a good sound just not that loude...

Thread Information