Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue/ Purple
    1998 Trans Am

Flowmaster or an exhaust kit? Opinions please!

Hey. So we're planning on getting a new flowmaster or an exhaust on our 98 Trans Am, and we were just taking votes on what you all think is the best one to go with and why. Also, if you have videos of yours please post them as well Were taking all options here because we want to know whats the best both for quality and sound. Our new TA is all stock, so we have a clean slate to work with! Very excited! Also, planning on window tint, a functional ram air hood, and possibly a paint job and/or stripes in the future plus more! Taking it one step at a time. So give us your thoughts and insights please! They are all greatly appreciated! Thanks

2011 Prius

I like the Corsa kit, sound and fit.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the SLP PowerFlo exhaust with Corsa clone tips. Sounds good with LT headers and no cats but it won't be very loud with factory manifold and cats. Depends what your future plans are. Also Magnaflow has a nice setup with dual tips that is price alot better than the Corsa kit. If price isn't a big deal I think the stainless works and GMMG chambered exhausts sound great and fit well. Depend on if your only doing a catback ot you plan onn doing headers and if you plan on keeping cats or not. I had a flowmaster at 1st and it sound good with factory manifolds and cats but if you do headers and remove the cats it gets raspy and sounded terrible to me. Like I said it depends on what your future exhaust plans are. Doen't matter if flowmasters don't flow as well as magnaflow and some other brands if you keeping the stock manifolds and cats and just want it to sound better and it'll still flow better than stock and you can save money for other mods. I only paid $150 for my Flowmaster and ne piping from the muffler back with new chrome oval tips at Midas.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Navy Blue/ Purple
    1998 Trans Am

Hey, thanks for the input! We're trying to do research and have listened to lots of videos, which never do the sound justice! So far from what we've heard we really like the Borla system, with its deep sound, but the SLP system would be like half the price and also sounds good. We haven't exactly mapped out what we want to do to the car yet, we've only owned our TA for 3 weeks! Shes a beast tho, with only 48,000 miles on her now! Basically perfect so were really excited about doing some awesome things to it!

White
    1998 Trans Am

My car was stock with just a weld in flowmaster till 70k. Then the modding began.
    I have 85k on mine now with pretty much every bolt on motor,brakes, and suspension part except for a few I have left.Even a $250 WS6 aftermarket hood modified to work with my Volant intake. The SLP which most people talk sht about is a nice system since it can be changed. The PowerFlo kit is a LM2 race muffler and 2 power flo glass packs and the LM2 can be swapped for a LM1 resonater to make it louder or clamp in a straight pipe and just use the rear mufflers. Borla is nice but gets raspy depending on how you adjust the plates and if you have cats or not. I think the 1st thing you should think about wheather or not you want to do the lt headers and ory without cats it will change the sound of the catback completly. It will make a quiet exhaust loud and sometimes raspy or a loud exhaust sound even raspier. My friend has the Borla and I liked it till the cats came off and it was too raspy for me. My car is quiet and deep at idle and mellow at cruising but really growls at WOT without that raspy sound. Let me see what I got for pics insalled.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 06-11-2010 at 08:01 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Exhaust

1st Setup with flowmaster weld in and new tips $150(Midas) installed

SLP PowerFlo

Stock SLP tips

New Corsa Clones

WS6 Aftermarket hood $250

White
    1998 Trans Am

Any questions on where I got parts or prices just pm me. I have a few place to get parts cheap from.

Navy Blue/ Purple
    1998 Trans Am

thanks I'll definitely pm u sometime, i wanna definitely find out where u got the hood, I definitely want a new hood for ours, i don't feel its complete without the ram air hood! did you order the back trans am panel new or did you have it painted? ours is still on it, which is good considering most are usually gone, but it is slightly faded to a pinker color.

White
    1998 Trans Am

it's just a vinly overlay I got for like 8 bucks on ebay a few yrs ago, I'm sure there are still selling and you can shoode the color

Black
    1998 Trans AM

Cool

i think an slp loudmouth exaust runs about 500$ bucks. there is no muffler just a resenator. very loud!! you could also just buy a muffler you want and go to a muffler shop and have them run new pipe (2 1/2 or 3in. is good) i did that and the quoted me 200 bucks. i just depends if your going just for sound or sound and hp.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

for sounds check out ls1sounds.com....

i have magnaflow here with long tubes and ory, low drone when cruisin, very loud at WOT

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

This is my exhaust. Its a Borla xr-1 muffler, no cats, ory, and ebay lt's, all in 3 inches. I love the way my car sounds and i have absolutely fell in love with borla in general. I even have it on my 02 Avalanche Here's a pic and sound video too

I wouldn't go with the Flowmaster though. I do have it on my 98 Trans Am but i hate it, and i have met many people that have had bad experiences with it and low quality too.

It has a big wing!

I don't personally have it (yet!) but I would go with Borla adjustable catback,LT headers and ORY with a dynomax bullet muffler welded into the intermediate pipe to "tame" the rasp and "harshness" a tad... I heard this set up once and LOVED it!

Very loud but sounded GOOD and aggressive... I have also heard that set up without the bullet muffler and yes,it's much harsher... I still kinda liked it but, I would do it for a weekend car but not a daily driven car..

BTW I also like the Flowmaster kit on these cars for sound,and many people will say that the don't perform but usually they have no evidence other than internet hear say honestly. I have read and looked for info concerning that subject and really never found anything to support that claim (if anyone has anything,I'm sure we would all love to see it!So post up! Thanks!). What I have found to be negative about Flowmaster is how long it lasts. The kits seem to not last very long at all before they begin to rust..For that reason alone, I would choose a good stainless kit Borla,Magnaflow... etc

Good luck on your choices and read read read!!
    Last edited by Baluchitherium; 06-15-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

ls1sounds.com

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

A good muffler shop will let you hear both on your car. Tach welds are quick and easy. the shop that did mine let me hear the difference between the two. I went with Magnaflow because I love the sound and has much better flow then Rustmasters.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    This is my exhaust. Its a Borla xr-1 muffler, no cats, ory, and ebay lt's, all in 3 inches. I love the way my car sounds and i have absolutely fell in love with borla in general. I even have it on my 02 Avalanche Here's a pic and sound video too
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

I wouldn't go with the Flowmaster though. I do have it on my 98 Trans Am but i hate it, and i have met many people that have had bad experiences with it and low quality too.
    Dude that sounds awesome makes me want to take my tsp rumblers off and get one of those.

Awaiting Activation

pewter
    2002 Z28

Hello.........my 02 Z28 has stock exhaust except for SLP Y-pipe (with Mufflex bump stop), Flowmaster muffler and chrome tips. These simple mods are less restrictive than OEM exhaust, inexpensive to install and LOUD. I have had zero problems with this setup.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 View Post
    Dude that sounds awesome makes me want to take my tsp rumblers off and get one of those.
    Thanks

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

magnaflow has a really nice tone, and is relatively cheap compared to must others. I saw a pole on this site a couple weeks back and magnaflow won by a landslide... I don't have magnaflow on my car (yet), but I have cutouts and I love the sound of them. I have a crappy summit brand bullet muffler that sounds like total crap which will be replaced shortly with something magnaflow.. prolly an x-pipe. But ya look around. Videos will most likely sound different than what you would put on your car because its all stock.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

if its just a cat-back exhaust your doing i always love the way magnaflows sound....great acceleration sound and low not so annoying idle grumble.

P.S. "functional ram air" mod is pointless i think...spend the money elsewhere just buy a lid and a bellow for more air flow. (you can cut those baffles out, but i dont think its worth it.) i did and regardless too what people say.my filter got soaked every time it rained.

Thread Information