black
    01 ws6

First Trans Am 1999 - some questions

Im about to buy it this week - its selling for 13,000, Red, T-Top, V8, 6 speed, 54,000 miles, leather, sounds like a good deal?

Questions I had

Best Place to get a ram air hood? (Cheapest functional hood)
    What maintenance should I be looking for?
    Should I get the warranty with it?

My gramps has his own auto shop - and is willing to help teach fix most of the things on my car - gets discounts and everything, but im going to buy it first then show it to him. Im in San Diego, Ca.

Thanks in advanced!

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

I'm far from an expert, but rather than spending 700 on a hood and another x-amount on a ram air setup that makes the hood functional, go for the Flowpac induction kit by SLP, the intake setup acts as a ram air, good for 25hp they advertise....I just isntalled that plus a magnaflow exhaust on my 99 T/A 6spd, and it's a big difference.. though i gotta say the WS6 hood is perrrrty.

SLP FLOWPAC around $275
    Magnaflow Exhaust around $420

Install time 3-6 hours depending on skill level.

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

that seems like a good price, especially in southern california. you can get an ram air hood from some of the sponsors, or on Ebay, theres always a few there. I would get a professional auto inspector to check everything over on the car, or take it to a mechanic to make sure everything is sound in the engine.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

check all the electronics. stupid shit you over look could be
    window motor
    interior lights/radio
    lock/unlock
    rear defrost
    exterior lights/flip up headlights

listen/feel for smooth trannyshifts
    look for black rubber on the inside rear wells [indicative of previous owner doing major burn outs, posibbly causing other issues in the car]
    any clicking/knocking from the rear differential

see if you can test it w/out the seller in the car so you can just listen to the car and not worry about the dealer chatting your ear off.

sounds like a decent deal. try to get it for 12 if you can. I bought a 2000 ram air m6 for 14,500 that was 2 summers ago...so you should be able to get that sucker down.

i think the warrenty is worth it if it is for a year. a lot can go wrong on 60k mile + car, but if the warrenty is only good for like 3,000miles, then tell them to shove it and save yourself some cash.

black
    01 ws6

thank's guys! I've been reading up a lot on these cars, I hear there are a lot of people/groups to buy the hood from - but which fit best? What price ranges? Thanks again guys and im glad to be here

Pewter

Hey i saw that one on autotrader.com its red regular Trans am with Greay leather imterior i called and talk to a salesmean named Raydar ya i know lame as name but n e ways hes been callin me atleast once a day trying to get me to buy it im sorry im just not a fan of gray leather but otherwise cool cari think the dealersship its @ is called auto finance somtin but ya let me know if im talin about the right one talk to u later.

black
    01 ws6

yea i think that's the one - i was eventualy going to change the upholstery to two tone leather ~ the guy i talked to was ross or something - working things out w/ the bank right now -

Pewter

ya i talked to a guy named Raydar but ya bro let me know if you get the ride i went up to la yesterday and bought an 01 Trans am good deals in your area man but ya let me know if u get it good luck see ya.

Pewter
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I would hold off and get the WS6 if that is what you want. By the time you start added wheels / tires, Hood (paint?), Air box, etc you will about 14-15k into the car (depending on new/used parts/tires.

Gene

PS Plus even if you have the parts people are still going to put it down and say it is a clone...but if that does not matter than no big deal
    2001 Pewter WS6 M6
    Borla, some induction mods, a little bit of this and a pinch of that, 2 Hookers, and a pipe.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2151616

Thread Information