Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

First time Ls1 owner... need help

I just bought a 2001 Ws6 trans am with 500hp... what are some options that i have other than putting major money into a turbo/supercharger? It already has a cam, slp intake, hardened push rods, longtube ceramic coated headers,slp mass air flow meter, comp cam valve springs and retainers, aftermarket exhaust, and a chip with custom tune... Should i even try to put more hp on the ls1? Can it take it and would it be safe? It also has 3.43 gears and its a 6speed. Everyone says the Nitrous is a NO NO. So i really dont know where to go from here. Ive only had the car for 2 weeks... Maybe a paintjob or new floor mats might make it a little faster lol... oh and today is my first day on this site so dont roast me too bad

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

I wouldnt put more stress on that car. 500 hp is 200hp more than stock. Really just admire the car for what it has already.

And welcome to the site.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks flybird. What kind of numbers do you think i can pull in the 1/4?

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Still the stock rear in the car? If so, I would put a Moser 9inch or Strange S60 in there with at least a 4.11 gear. Won't make more power but you will have peice of mind that your rear isn't going to explode.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

how much do you think it would cost me with mickey thompson drags in the back with rims? my friend told me that might be a good idea...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with Chris. Also, ditch the SLP MAF, and the "chip" tune. Either go with a GM replacement MAF or get a speed density tune. As our cars don't take chips, I'm guessing it's an IAT fooler. Lose it and either get a Frost tune - site sponser, click his banner at the top -, or get a dyno tune from a reputable shop. Just curious though, how do you know the car is making 500 hp? The mods you list don't add up to that.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    how much do you think it would cost me with mickey thompson drags in the back with rims? my friend told me that might be a good idea...
    If you're still running the stock rear, it's not a good idea.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

@knight- im probly mistaking his 'custom tune' for chip... sorry lol like i said im a noob when it comes to chevy or pontiac (ls1 in general) The guy i bought it from (mid 40's) guy told me all the mods that had been thru the car. That was only a few i could remember. He told me 500 at the crank and around 430 to the wheels. Ive always been a mustang guy. i sold my 2003 gt mustang vert to get this car. So ive never done any research on the ls1 or anything like that.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

11-12 seconds give or take.. Youve got alot of HP. Possibly take down a new 2012 5.0 mustang. And those things are FAST.

I agree with others though. Get a bigger rear end so you dont end up spending more $$ bc the rear end blew out and the axle shot thru your floor.

Get rid of the chip (if its connected to your IAT sensor.) It does no good. I know from the hard way.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Yeah walt is right. Those mods could add around 400 + or - HP. A good friend of mine has an 02 ws6 411 gear ratio, cammed, full echaust, supercharger, bored over, shaved heads, ect. Hes got 550 HP. Alot more mods than what you currently have.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you don't have any suspension mods and with street tires, with 500HP I'd expect the car to be slow as it's going to do nothing but spin the tires.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

@35- it does have different suspension... ill have to ask the guy tomorrow. Im going to take it to a dyno shop tomorrow and have everything checked out.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Once you're able to look over it in more detail and get all the added performance and suspension/drive train modification figured out, list them in here and we'll be able to nail down some times for you more accurately.

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

500 HP with a stock rear end? It's gonna explode one day! lol

Just like others are saying, that would be my first purchase if I were you...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    @knight- im probly mistaking his 'custom tune' for chip... sorry lol like i said im a noob when it comes to chevy or pontiac (ls1 in general) The guy i bought it from (mid 40's) guy told me all the mods that had been thru the car. That was only a few i could remember. He told me 500 at the crank and around 430 to the wheels. Ive always been a mustang guy. i sold my 2003 gt mustang vert to get this car. So ive never done any research on the ls1 or anything like that.
    No problem. We'll do our best to get you up to speed. Throw up some pics when you get a chance.

Thread Information