Black
    98 Trans Am

First race in first LS1..

So im on my way home from work today in my new trans am, first LS1, first trans am period actually. I had a mustang GT a few years back but it was a dog. Its stock aside from a 3.73 in it.

I had a kid a few years younger literally weave in and out of traffic to get along side of me so I figured what the hell, might as well see how it does compared... to his mystic mustang cobra. Was a pre 99 style w/ the 4.6.

Needless to say from a roll he pulled on me pretty hard. looked like his was a stick to my auto but from a 30-40 or so roll 4 he made it clear I wasnt gonna win in the short run anyhow.

Granted I just bought the car less than a month ago, and rims and a ws6 hood (appearance) was first on my to do list... losing to a mustang hit home with me. Sorry completely unacceptable!

Basically I'm posting to figure out where to start modwise, in order what should I get done to the car? Keep in mind I only have about 1000 a month to work with that I can blow so its gonna happen bit by bit but Ive never owned an LS1 so im unfamiliar with where to start. Someone point me in the right direction so when this check comes next week I can blow it! =p

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

you should have won, he must have had several modifications done.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/for...tid=ik16231731

looks like it could be close, but with your torque you shouldn't be the underdog.

Black
    98 Trans Am

yea it could have been modded, it was pretty loud but nonetheless i didnt even know they had that kinda power stock. Anyhow, I know my question is pretty broad but I'm not super educated on building newer motors yet so If one of the resident gearheads can give me a run down on what they would do first and in order I would appreciate it. I need a starting mold on what to look for that will be available used so I can save $$ and in what order of priority I should go for the best gains etc. Leave it to the nubs for the complicated questions eh? =)

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Lid, Headers, off road y pipe, cat back exhaust, and since its an auto throw a stall and a set of 3.73's in there and go find him again

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by dlmeadows View Post
    Lid, Headers, off road y pipe, cat back exhaust, and since its an auto throw a stall and a set of 3.73's in there and go find him again
    Also LS6 intake. He has 3.73s already.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Oh...I thought he said his mustang had the 3.73's

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If you go from a dig you should not loose even stock.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Could you hear a whine?? Maybe he sprayed? Nothing wrong to losing to a mustang. I dont feel ashamed losing to my friends 04 cobra. However u shud feel ashamed if hes got 60hp less than u, and still walked you.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dlmeadows View Post
    What is a "stall"? And do 3.73 gears really make a difference?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

high stall torque converter, and yes gears make a difference

throw both of them in an auto and you'll see at least a half second drop in your 1/4 mile time

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

You have a $1000 a month to spend! Damn! It will not be long till you are happy! Then your gonna want more and more and more and more!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

yeah if u have $1k a month, save up and get a new block. Or mod the hell outta the LS1. Full bolt on's, suspension, H/C, or Nitrous...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    high stall torque converter, and yes gears make a difference

throw both of them in an auto and you'll see at least a half second drop in your 1/4 mile time
    where is a good place to buy a high stall torque converter? and are they expensive to install?

For one
    Looking

It is kinda hard to understand without knowing what he's got.... But I'm sure he's got some power adders under the hood...

You should start with the computer tuner. Like superchips. You will need that after you start adding more and more to your car anyway. Then take it to the 1/4 mile and learn how to get your car going the fastest the quickest. A fast car is only as fast as the driver makes it go. You might try combinations of gear shifting. If you are in OD you won't accelerate as fast as in 3. I don't know how many races I lost because I forgot to shift out of OD...

Black
    98 Trans Am

well i suppose I'll go with headers & a full exhaust first. Is it ok to run true duals on an F body instead of a Y? like an H pipe? Headers + exhaust should gimme 15 or so more to the ground no? Then ill drop in a stall and someone said LS6 intake. Are those better than any of the aftermarket ones offered? Is it ok to buy a used one? After that I guess im stuck with either a tune or major work like cam & heads etc right?
    thanks for takin the time to respond guys!

And is 1000 a month really that much? lol thats give or take depending on work but thats also forgoing any and all social life and eating like garbage =P the price to have $$ for the car I suppose =p

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

with that race.... if hes stick thats just retarded because at 30-40 miles an hour u were most likely in 3rd gear so right off the bat hes got a nice advantage....since ur auto u pretty much just wanna race from a dig otherwise its tougher

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

1000 a month, by the end of this summer it would be a totally different race.
    1. Headers-ORY
    2. CAM
    3. 3200+ stall depending on what cam you go with.
    4. Tune
    save up and do it all at once and hold on tightly cause it may just scare you. And the possibilities are endless. DAM did I mention I LOVE THESE CARS!!!

It is very possible the kid KNOWS what he can and cannot take. And when he didn't hear you he took you for granted just to chalk another victory on the board. Once you put a cam and headers on he may not want to race you again, he will avoid you. See it all the time. Mustangs used to mess with me occassionally but now since I modded they turn when they see me coming up on them, and slow down when they are coming up on me... Maybe go with a good sleeper set up and rub it in his face when you WAX THAT A$$. HAHA.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

just remember one thing, if u stall ur car ur gonna lose lots of hp. But that doesnt mean shit. Ull be knocking off .5 to a full second off ur et with the right stall, tires and launch.

Thread Information