Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silence Is Not Golden. stolenthunder's Avatar

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Talking First of many posts...

Man let me start my first post off by saying that this is an awesome forum. I had no idea there were as many WS6 nuts as me out there. I'm thrilled.

I'm not kidding when I say that I've wanted a WS6 for years- I envied every one I've passed on the road and always told myself "one day, when I get the money". I always knew that there was something about this car- it's a "dying" breed and they carry this certain unquantifiable presence of power, grace and dare I say rarity.

So yeah, we bit the bullet a few weeks ago and dropped $5,000 on a 1998 WS6 with 140,000 miles. It's in good shape, runs like a scalded dog and sounds as mean as it looks. Previous owner had a two-stage blue paint job put on it...which caught my eye when I saw the dealer parking it on his lot. It looks good. It's bone stock. I am so freaking proud of this car. Everywhere I drive, especially with the T's off, I get a ton of attention. I've honestly never had so many people staring at me while driving a car. I can't say that it gets old. Ton of 'stang drivers around these parts and I've had a couple looking to pick fights with me...revving, etc. Unfortunately traffic has been between my aggressor in each instance and I haven't had my first good duel yet. It will come.

Only problems I've had so far:

1. I've had to replace the two front tires. Had Kumho Escta AST's put on there. I'll need to change out the two rear tires soon, but it can wait for now.

2. I noticed a drop of oil on the cement today under my carport, so I went and had my mechanic buddy check it out...he said that there's a rear end leak, but it's just a gasket that needs to be replaced and the leak isn't that bad yet. Does anybody know specs on pinion nut torque for a '98 trans am?

I promise pics of my car tommorow. I'm not bragging when I say she's a beauty, I honestly haven't seen one just like her before.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by pajeff02; 07-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Congrats on the purchase!

The stock 10 bolts tend to weep in our cars... even after the seal is replaced it may not be long before it is leaking again. Not sure of the torque spec. I think the best way to do it is mark the location of the nut and take a reading of the pre-load with an inch pound torque wrench. When you re-assemble it, using the existing crush sleeve, install the nut to where it was and then tighten it in small increments until you get your pre-load back to what it was.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Welcome to the site and congratz on the car.

I hope you like yours as much as I like the 14 F-bodies I've owned thru the last 36 years.

All Camaro's for me though...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. Our cars do not leak - they mark their territory.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

glad you could join the family! and +1 for pics!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    G'day and welcome. Our cars do not leak - they mark their territory.
    So true, and sooo much fun. Especially if....nevermind, check the fluid often,you'll be all right. So many mods, so little money.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Congrats on the purchase. I have a 98 TA myself and it's a great car but the 10 bolt is weak I chewed up the factory 3.23's and a replacement set and have 3.73's with a A4. One day I'll replace it but for now I just put a new set of gears in every couple yrs. You'll have fun with it, nothing better than smoking a Mustang or someone in a new Nissan 370Z trying to show off for there girlfriend and end up looking dumb. Mod it and have some fun, the car will get some stares especially with a slick paint job.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by stolenthunder View Post
    Man let me start my first post off by saying that this is an awesome forum. I had no idea there were as many WS6 nuts as me out there. I'm thrilled.

I'm not kidding when I say that I've wanted a WS6 for years- I envied every one I've passed on the road and always told myself "one day, when I get the money". I always knew that there was something about this car- it's a "dying" breed and they carry this certain unquantifiable presence of power, grace and dare I say rarity.
    Amen, brother. I know exactly what you mean! Welcome to the club. I'm on my second f-body, but it's my first WS6. I love it! Sounds like you will too (or already do)...

Two tone blue paint job, I definitely wanna see that. Get those pics up buddy! And have fun putting those Mustangs in their place! (safely of course)

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Amen, brother. I know exactly what you mean! Welcome to the club. I'm on my second f-body, but it's my first WS6. I love it! Sounds like you will too (or already do)...

Two tone blue paint job, I definitely wanna see that. Get those pics up buddy! And have fun putting those Mustangs in their place! (safely of course)
    Spoken from a Cobra owner. But Cobras are not Mustangs, eh?

And welcome! I've loved the WS6s as well, and people are intimidated by their looks. They always have some snarky comment like, "when I do this or when I do that, I'm gonna beat you." Or they genuinely compliment the car.

Now you can drive by a building with mirriored windows and admire your reflection.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

congrats on the car dude! subscribed for pics. like my car, the milage is getting up there as well. dont let it bother you tho, its just nicely broken in. Lots of life left in her. youll love it

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Spoken from a Cobra owner. But Cobras are not Mustangs, eh?
    Ha! Darn straight, that's my rationalization

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Congrads man. Can't wait to see pics

It has a big wing!

Welcome to the club, looking foward to the pics!!
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

As promised...

Thanks for the warm welcome and good advice, guys. This is an awesome community. I'm going to pass your tip along to my mechanic, pajeff- that sounds like exactly what he needs to do. Neither one of us could find torque specs anywhere.

Okay, so as promised...here's a link to more pics of the new car. They're crappy and low quality, they definitely don't do her justice.

http://www.box.net/shared/7oqxt43d3r

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

looks nice!
    Follow this thread if you want them to show up directly in your post

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by stolenthunder View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome and good advice, guys. This is an awesome community. I'm going to pass your tip along to my mechanic, pajeff- that sounds like exactly what he needs to do. Neither one of us could find torque specs anywhere.

Okay, so as promised...here's a link to more pics of the new car. They're crappy and low quality, they definitely don't do her justice.

http://www.box.net/shared/7oqxt43d3r
    I don't want to burst your bubble but is the car a real WS6 ? It appears to have a factory WS6 hood (as does mine) but it has the factory 16" base model Formula/Trans Am painted wheels.
    The RPO sticker on the drivers door will tell the truth.
    But if the sticker isn't there run the VIN through this website to get a correct RPO list. http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Also don't fret it if the car isn't a real WS6, as their not any better performers then the regular Formula/ Trans Am.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Congrats and welcome to ls1.com lots of info on here and good folks to help with yuor questions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I like that color blue.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I don't want to burst your bubble but is the car a real WS6 ? It appears to have a factory WS6 hood (as does mine) but it has the factory 16" base model Formula/Trans Am painted wheels.
    The RPO sticker on the drivers door will tell the truth.
    But if the sticker isn't there run the VIN through this website to get a correct RPO list. http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Also don't fret it if the car isn't a real WS6, as their not any better performers then the regular Formula/ Trans Am.
    good catch... i like the color

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Hot dang, I didn't even realize it was a formula. You're right- there is no WS6 code on the door. It's still a 5.7l engine and it seems that someone has added a Ram Air box to the thing. As best I can tell, it's functional.

I'm a fake!

Thanks for the compliments though

Thread Information