Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Angry First day with the new LS1.. Good news, and BAD news..(clutch problems?)

The Good -

Is I went out and bought a 2000 T/A today with a WS6 hood... I love the car! Its a 6 spd with black leather and black on the outside... It sound's Awesome (has a different muffler but stock tip).. But I have never owned a standard before but I know how too drive one pretty good and I did okay... The whole car looks clean inside and out.. And did I mention I loved the power? hehe..

The Bad -

I don't know if it is just my inexperience, or if the clutch is bad (the guy I bought it from said it might need replaced).. Like if I am normally driving it around it does fine other than I have to push it ALL, and I mean ALL the way to the floor to get it to shift like I think it should.. But one time I got on it pretty good through 1st and shifted into 2nd real hard, and the clutch seemed to stop working all together.... So I pulled off on the shoulder and I could push it to the floor and it seemed to not be working, it wouldnt let me shift into any gear at all or anything.. Well I turned it off and put it in first and started it back up and it tryed to take off.. (I had the clutch ALL the way down on the floor)... Well I still tried to get it to shift.. and nothing.. Well I just set there for a minute and let it cool off.. Well about 10 mins later I started it and it seemed to be better, but I still had to push it All the way down though (I thought there is suppose to be some play (if thats the word for it) ).. Well I just babied it around and it did fine, shifted like it was before I got on it... The next time I went to get on it to test to see if it still did it, it did the same damn thing for about 10 mins it wouldn't do anything... And after that it seemed to be fine again.. So I haven't tried it again I have just been babying it.. What does the problem seem like?

When it won't go into gear I am pretty sure the clutch really isn't working because I have to have my foot on the brake to start it or it would take off..

Any advice would help guys, Thanks! By the way I have fell in love with F-body's!

Red
    '02 WS6

you're boned. Your car is f'd but I'll gladly take it off your hands.

or just search this forum and you'll figure out what the issue is pretty quick.....

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Search the forum for better adive, but I'm having a similar problem. Its in the shop having the slave cylinder replaced. If you have the same problem, don't worry, that part is easy to find and relatively cheap ($100). Unfortunately, its in the tranny, so its a PITA to replace and expensive if someone else does it. At least you'll have an excuse to replace the clutch!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

does it not go into gear, and if it does is there any grinding noise. Does it lock up and not let u out of gear? If so that aint a clutch problem, its time for a trans rebuild. Ur synchor's are out and ull have to replace them. Same thing happened to me except i couldnt get it moving and boke a shitload of other things and had to tow it home from the track Its a 6speed right? Send it to T56 rebuilds

black
    2000 SS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    The Good -

Is I went out and bought a 2000 T/A today with a WS6 hood... I love the car! Its a 6 spd with black leather and black on the outside... It sound's Awesome (has a different muffler but stock tip).. But I have never owned a standard before but I know how too drive one pretty good and I did okay... The whole car looks clean inside and out.. And did I mention I loved the power? hehe..

The Bad -

I don't know if it is just my inexperience, or if the clutch is bad (the guy I bought it from said it might need replaced).. Like if I am normally driving it around it does fine other than I have to push it ALL, and I mean ALL the way to the floor to get it to shift like I think it should.. But one time I got on it pretty good through 1st and shifted into 2nd real hard, and the clutch seemed to stop working all together.... So I pulled off on the shoulder and I could push it to the floor and it seemed to not be working, it wouldnt let me shift into any gear at all or anything.. Well I turned it off and put it in first and started it back up and it tryed to take off.. (I had the clutch ALL the way down on the floor)... Well I still tried to get it to shift.. and nothing.. Well I just set there for a minute and let it cool off.. Well about 10 mins later I started it and it seemed to be better, but I still had to push it All the way down though (I thought there is suppose to be some play (if thats the word for it) ).. Well I just babied it around and it did fine, shifted like it was before I got on it... The next time I went to get on it to test to see if it still did it, it did the same damn thing for about 10 mins it wouldn't do anything... And after that it seemed to be fine again.. So I haven't tried it again I have just been babying it.. What does the problem seem like?

When it won't go into gear I am pretty sure the clutch really isn't working because I have to have my foot on the brake to start it or it would take off..

Any advice would help guys, Thanks! By the way I have fell in love with F-body's!

sounds lilke to me that your clutch is sticking to the ground, try prying it up with your foot and then see if it will shift into gear

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Really, it sounds like two things:
    1) When you are driving normally and it sorta works ok, sounds like air in the clutch system or leaky/weak master or slave cylinder.
    2) When you get on it, and then the clutch starts working like no release, that is the '02 clutch master cylinder upgrade.

So, based you your descriptions you at least need a new updated clutch master cylinder and then maybe more. Does NOT sound like internal transmission problems. My clutch pedal would go away and then stick down when I would drive like when I am at the drag strip, but the '02 master cylinder I put on took 95% of that problem away. Still feels a little funny after driving it like that, but at least it is still working. I did not do any drill mod on the new clutch master cylinder. Some people say to do that anyway. Do a search for the drill mod.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Im have a similar problem with my 6 spd. When i speed shift it (shift through gears without letting off the gas), it has no problems shifting while doing that. It is just afterwards i loose the pedal for a little bit while driving around it comes back though. Just wondering any ideas. Thanks

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Airguy View Post
    Im have a similar problem with my 6 spd. When i speed shift it (shift through gears without letting off the gas), it has no problems shifting while doing that. It is just afterwards i loose the pedal for a little bit while driving around it comes back though. Just wondering any ideas. Thanks
    Yup...............need the upgraded '01 and newer master cylinder.

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

either that or...a bad clutch. my camaro did the exact same thing. we've tried bleeding the clutch multiple times, thats problably not gonna help but try it anyways? its still doin the same thing. I've been told by some of the guys at my dads GM shop that if its an aftermarket clutch it will seem to do that after some wear and tear. if you started it up in 1st and it rolled....the clutch just isn't engaging at all. does yours not engage until its maybe a half inch from the floor? jus try speed shifting and dont use the clutch... no dont, it'll prolly mess up the syncros even more.

Thread Information