Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Firestone can kiss my ...

Well this was about a week ago, but i had a rear tire blow out on me while going down the interstate, cruise set at 75. I noticed the car was acting like there was mud in the rims and getting worse by the second, so i decided something was wrong and tapped the brakes to take it off cruise, and about then the rear end kicks out. I scare the shit outa myself and the car in the other lane, but get it rolled to a stop, open the door and lean out to look at my back tire and (pics Below).

So i look in the trunk for my spare----shit its sitting at home in the garrage, jack?-----nope in the other garage, Lug key?-----later found to be inbetween 2 layered columbia coat, inside pocket. Long story short dad hasto come 2 and 1/2 hours to pick the car up with the pickup and car trailer.

I later found the lug key and got the tire off, and take it into where i baught the damn thing cuz i said it shoulda never done this. Well after agueing whti the firestone rep who said i ran it flat, but this happened in a 20 second time period. I had allso just filled up 13 miles before and it was the tire below the fill spot so i woulda noticed it being flat or even handling different.

So the dealershit sells me a tire at cost to them and i have no choice so i order it. two days later it gets in and they go to balance the tire and oh no now it has a bent rim, the inner bead is bent. To shorten this up, they counterballanced it as much as possible and im gonna try it, see how it works....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Glad you and your bird are alright. Fucking firestone, crap tires imho. Only had one blow out and it was at 25 mph so everything was good to go, and guess what, it was a firestone. I personnally will never buy them again.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Interesting. Firestone had their share of problems a few years back with blown tires. Although I have to wonder about some of the circumstances though.

Most tire problems can be attributed to running too low of air pressure. This generates too much heat and the tire literally will take itself apart,,,and this generally happens as you explained in your situation,,,on the interstate going a high rate of speed where heat buildup is more substantial.

I don't mean to imply this is what happened here, but i've seen more times than not, people run very low air pressures, especially winter time, whether on purpose or not I don't know, but alot of people neglect checking the pressure on a regular basis and just eyeball the tires. You'd think people would pay this more attention with all the complaining of gas prices I hear.

This is another problem I see with all these low profile tires that have very little sidewall. They can be very low on air pressure and you wouldn't know by looking at it. Not a good thing.
    I've had mine below 20 psi and there wasn't really any noticable visual difference from the other tire that had 40 psi,,,thats kinda scary

Sorry to hear about the mishap though,,,,just be happy that it didn't appear to rip your quarter panel to shreds,,,,it could have done major damage whipping around all that plastic body stuff.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

You make a good point, but he said he checked them. I check mine every time I fill up, tires can easily cost you big money in gas if not fill properly.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Oh wait, he said he looked at them, not checked. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    You make a good point, but he said he checked them. I check mine every time I fill up, tires can easily cost you big money in gas if not fill properly.
    You are correct. Ya I'm sure he checked them as he stated, it's good safe practice. I just wanted to state that this is where most tire problems originate from. Definately a scary situation. That would make my butt pucker at 75 mph,,,lol.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Yeah, your right. Don't ever want that to happen to me. Good way to destroy a nice car in a hurry. Your only as good as the rubber on the road.

NBM
    99 TA

Sorry about your tire man, thats lame...
    I will be the first to say it tho... whats w/ the mudflaps? never seen them on a 4th gen before

Red
    2001 ws6

x2 on the mudflaps hahaha glad your ride and you are ok also

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    Sorry about your tire man, thats lame...
    I will be the first to say it tho... whats w/ the mudflaps? never seen them on a 4th gen before
    lol like them? jk i put them on because i drive 4 miles of gravel and it keeps the lower part of the panels from getting rock rash, but it does look goof from the back b-cause they arent as wide as the tire....but they serve their purpose.

I had checked the presure in them before i left home, with a tire guage. I always do that before a 3+hour trip, oil, air filter, tires are the main things so they had just been checked 2 hours before....

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

theres a better picture to poke fun at....

NBM
    99 TA

meh.. doesn't look bad actually

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

That sucks! What was the specific type of tire? I have the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on my car hope it wasn't them! Yeah the mudflaps look kinda goofy but if they actually serve a purpose then I understand.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Yea i dont think they are too bad....

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Fireston-Dayton, Fusion 275-40 r17 Zrated

Nothin wrong with mudflaps,,,,we use them as well for the very same purpose,,,,I have a few cars that we switch them around on,,,,actually we use clips for ours,,,so they can be taken on and off for various cars to protect from rocks just as he stated. Once we are on paved roads I can simply unclip them and toss them in the trunk at the next stop, or on the way to a show.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Fireston-Dayton, Fusion 275-40 r17 Zrated
    I didnt know fuzions were from firestone that is what I have on my 01 ss vert no problems with them but then again it hardly ever gets driven

I am not a fan of mud flaps on anything but I have them on my truck to keep from throwing rocks atanything I tow

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

fusions are from daton which is a branch of fireston the way i understand it, kinda like firebirds are pontiac, but are still GM

I never had an issue w fuzions, I drive em bald all the time

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

what usually causes that type of tire issue is it is ran low on air. when it is low on air, the sidewalls get hotter than normal. eventually, the tire cannot dissipate the heat and the sidewall 'zippers'. been there and done that. i took out a DR, because the valve stem, from being rotted, leaked air. i was doing about 80 mph and the rear started swaying alot. i slowed down. it got real squirrely, so i pulled over. got out and the sidwall was tore up from driving on it. was only less than a mile from the point i noticed the car moving around. now how long was it low before that? who knows.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information