Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

extended warranty, worth it

so those extended warranty programs out there ie: Mogi Fidilas, ect. are any of them worth it. i have 133k on my 2000 and am thinking about getting one of these. i got quoted on one for $2k for 10 years 100k miles. im almost positive the rear is going to go out, especially if im going to get a "free" new one. and since a new rear is 2kish its almost paid for the first time.the guy i talked to on the phone said i was covered even if im at the race track. from my understanding, atleast with my insurance, if it happens at the track you are SOL.

i realize these companies dont make their money by giving out rear ends or fixing cars, but kinda like insurance companies, just denying everything.

if youve used one and like it, let me know.

Red
    2001 ws6

ive got a buddy.... im not mentioning any names ....*justin* who has had 2 lsds replaced and 2 tran rebuilds ....plus more bs as far as i know there prolly not to fond of him..... lol IT definently worked out for him but shit maybe he was just lucky idk....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Ask TS|S about extended warranties. Alot of these companies will not honor if you mod anything like adding headers, ORY, EGR/Air delete, etc.... Personnaly not worth the hard earn $$$

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

the guy i talked to said i could replace parts with "upgraded" parts. told me i could get the ford 9" i would have to pay the differance of any pricing. i thought he was full of shit. i told him to email or fax me the contract. he said all he needed was a credit card #, no contract.... so i figured he was a scam. havnt talked to him since.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    the guy i talked to said i could replace parts with "upgraded" parts. told me i could get the ford 9" i would have to pay the differance of any pricing. i thought he was full of shit. i told him to email or fax me the contract. he said all he needed was a credit card #, no contract.... so i figured he was a scam. havnt talked to him since.
    damn screw that. that sounds like a big ass scam

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Never heard of Mogis but I googled US Fidelis and the first 3 pages(stopped reading after that) were nothing but complaints about them not wanting to pay or saying a part wasn't covered. Ruined my plans for a new diff

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

General Rule of Thumb:

If it sounds too good to be true, and they want your credit card #, It's a scam.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

First of all let me say, if there is no contract it is a scam!!!!!!! There is always a contract telling you what is or isnt covered.

When i bought my T/A with 48kmiles i got a 5 year 100k for 2200. Before i hit 55kmiles i cracked 3 valve springs, took it in under warrenty. When I bought the car it was stock, i had since added headers, catback, lid, tune, lowering spings, short shifter, upgraded brakes. When the warrenty inspector came to the dealer to look at the work they had done the only thing and i mean only mod he complained about was my shift light. Lucky the mechanic at the GM dealer had a 99 WS6 making 450whp at the time and he told the warrenty guy he was a moron with a law suit waiting to happen if he tried to claim the shift light as a possible cause of the problem. All work was covered and i was happily driving again in less than 3 days.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Not sure about Mogi, but US Fidelis is BS. Do a search on the web and look at all the people that got screwed. Don't let the T.V. commercials fool you.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

+10. Don't let the commercials fool you. Do you really think those happy smiling faces are what the company wants to do? Pay out thousands for a claim? Personally, just put the $2000 in the bank, ready for the possible day you have a major repair. That way, if you never do, the money is still yours. And most have a 50 or 100 dollar deductable, making that service contract suddenly 2100, 2200 or more for multiple claims.

Sure it works for a few people, but who is really making the money here?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE A CROCK OF SHIT!!!!!!! put that 2k in a high yield savings account and after a few years you'll have more money to make your car fast.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE A CROCK OF SHIT!!!!!!! put that 2k in a high yield savings account and after a few years you'll have more money to make your car fast.
    Lol on 2,000 even a high yield savings account would only get you around 100 bucks if you left it for 3 years.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

It would be a more useful return on investment.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    It would be a more useful return on investment.
    Not for me, my extended warrenty worked out great, i got about 3k in repairs on 2 claims, 100 dollar deductable and the warrenty was 2200, so i spent 2400 and saved myself about 600 bucks all in all.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

But, didn't you say that you got the extended warranty from the dealership when you bought your car? I believe those are different than the ones you see on T.V.

I would stay away from US Fidelis. BBB rating of F- and pending lawsuits in many areas of the country. Plus plentiful complaints, a quick search of google with their name will provide a great deal of truths about the organization.

The ultimate in protection is to get the extended warranty coverage that is backed by the factory, General Motors Protection Plan. However, for those outside of factory warranty coverage, our only choice is to go with an aftermarket company.

With any aftermarket extended service contract, I would suggest to:

- Request the service contract agreement and application in writing before consideration
    - Review both agreements to see what is and is not covered.
    - Does the policy cover wear and tear not just mechanical breakdown.
    - Who pays the claims and how is this process handled?
    - Check with your local service center to see if they will honor the product and/or company.

White
    02 WS6

I only buy extended warranties from the factory.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by NvyBluMtlc02WS6 View Post
    But, didn't you say that you got the extended warranty from the dealership when you bought your car? I believe those are different than the ones you see on T.V.
    Yes i did, but it was still an extended warrenty company that the dealer went through.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Just don't go with Guardian ... they don't cover ANYTHING electrical and don't cover diagnostic fees and only pay "up to" a certain amount hourly. If it was 1975, there shouldn't been no issue, but all cars these days are electronic. They'll only cover catastrophic "mechanical" failure and even then, only part of it 'cos of the limitations on what they pay. So if it's an electronic issue that was hard to diagnose and you're stuck taking it to a shop in a state/county that has high labor rates, they'll just tell you "Sorry" that's all we can do and hang up. Ask me how I know!

I had a bad coil pack in the Explorer and it was running like crap; they asked me to take it to a certified repair facility of my choice. Diagnostics started and they said it wasn't the coil packs but the intake leaking coolant into the plug bores ... that's after like $400 worth of diagnostics (I now regret taking it there 'cos they didn't know what they were doing, and I kept telling them it was the coil packs), they covered only the intake gaskets and even then told me they pay up to like $65/hr (when the standard rate is much higher than that almost everywhere!!!) and don't cover diagnostics and had it been a coil pack, I would've got nothing. So I was stuck with a $500 bill of the total $950 or so (oh, they don't cover shop supplies and environmental fees and lubricants/etc.) and the problem was STILL there a week later. Got a whole set of 8 coils from ebay for like $130 and replaced them myself and it's been like a swiss watch ever since.

Yes I guess part of it was my fault for not doing it myself when I knew what the issue was ('cos a friend scanned it for me) but that's what you buy a warranty for and I was under the assumption that the FULL extended warranty I upgraded to when I purchased the truck covered the truck!

I called other companies too to check on this matter and nobody could give me a straight answer and one place didn't even know what a coil pack was!!! They're all crooked in one way of the other. Best is to get the extended warranty from the manufacturer or the dealership you buy your car from and not mod your car till it gets of it. Everything else is just a waste with 3rd/4th party warranties.
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 10-05-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

How were you under the assumption? Do you read paperwork? Cause all warrentys have paragraph after paragraph explaining what is and isnt covered. If you would have read the paper work you would have known they wouldnt cover the electrical. This is why im a strong beleiver in reading everything someone hands me to sign, no matter what the salesman says or the looks he gives me for making him wat 45min to read all the docs and contract before i sign. I went through every single word in every single mortgage document I signed aswell.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-05-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Thread Information