white
    1998 Trans Am

exhaust question

kind of on a tight budget at the moment.. but my car has no muffler.. was like this when i got it.. i want to do something temporary to give it some sound.. was talk to a shop here and he said that i could leave my stock piping on the car and just put on a flowmaster muffler and some 4 inch stainless tips.. now i know alot of people on here have magna flow.. i had a 40 series flowmaster on my 95 z28 and i liked the way it sounded.. is there a power difference between flowmaster and magnaflow?? now i dont plan on drag racing around everywhere.. this is my daily driver.. take that into account when reading this... what are your opinions on a budget friendly exhaust for the time being???

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Most people here will say a Flowmaster for our 4th gen F-bodies will loose a few HP compared to almost any other muffler. But it has the sound, and it should still outflow a stock muffler! So yes, a Magnaflow will flow better than a Flowmaster. So, you could leave your current piping in place and have your favorite muffler place make whatever you want to get fit. I run a Hooker Aeroflow, it's pretty tame at idle but really wakes up as the revs climb. And absolutley no highway droan/resonating.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Most people here will say a Flowmaster for our 4th gen F-bodies will loose a few HP compared to almost any other muffler. But it has the sound, and it should still outflow a stock muffler! So yes, a Magnaflow will flow better than a Flowmaster. So, you could leave your current piping in place and have your favorite muffler place make whatever you want to get fit. I run a Hooker Aeroflow, it's pretty tame at idle but really wakes up as the revs climb. And absolutley no highway droan/resonating.
    see ive never had a magnaflow on anything ive had.. im youtubing video clips right now and see the different sounds.. i just dont know.. like i said, its kinda temporary to hold me over til i get a few more things done that needs to be done.. i really want the tsp rumbler set up.. just cant afford it.. now do tips really make a difference in sound?? my camaro had 3 1/2 round 18 inch long tips.. the ones im looking at for my TA are 4 inch round and i think they are also 18 inch..

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i have a magnaflow and absolutely love it,quiet as stock on the interstate,but loud when i want it to be loud with lts and ory.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ws6ben View Post
    see ive never had a magnaflow on anything ive had.. im youtubing video clips right now and see the different sounds.. i just dont know.. like i said, its kinda temporary to hold me over til i get a few more things done that needs to be done.. i really want the tsp rumbler set up.. just cant afford it.. now do tips really make a difference in sound?? my camaro had 3 1/2 round 18 inch long tips.. the ones im looking at for my TA are 4 inch round and i think they are also 18 inch..
    Yes they do. The longer and bigger, than the sound will be deeper than a comparable tip with a smaller diameter. Bigger pipe means bigger sound frequencies.

white
    1998 Trans Am

so the 4 inch tips im looking at will do just fine then.. i cant wait to get it put on there

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Should be fine. Some people don't like this look, but who cares, it's your car. Are they a slant cut, or a rolled tip?

white
    1998 Trans Am

they are a slanted cut.. i had the guy hold them up in place and i stepped back and looked at it.. i think it looks pretty damn good myself

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

You should post up some pics man, I wanna see what you have done!!!

white
    1998 Trans Am

as soon as it gets done, i will do that.. will also put some pics up of the blue overlays i have put on this week.. its starting to look much better.. still have some small things to fix... tranny mount is next on the list.. but all in due time.. one thing at a time.. but everything i do, fires me up to do something else..lol.. its like a wildfire spreading very fast

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

To this day my favorite sound of the car was with a flowmaster 80 series muffler.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

white
    1998 Trans Am

ok so i was on tsp website.. they have a 3 inch catback with dynomax bullets.. anyone have this or heard this exhaust? coming from tsp it has to been good right?? and its only $250

White
    1998 Trans Am

My friend had dynomax bullets dumped at the axle and it sounded good but it was loud. They are a race muffler so the setup will sound good but if you still have stock manifolds and the catted ypipe. His were right after the longtubes with no cats.
    On the flowmaster you don't loose horsepower and they sound good with stock exhaust and honestly most full catbacks will give you like 10hp on a stock car so you really aren't going to notice it either way. I like the flowmaster till I added the LT's and ORY then it got raspt and I switched to a SLP Powerflo but now with my cam even it's loud.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

white
    1998 Trans Am

well i was leaning towards the flowmaster atleast for now.. since its stock as for headers and existing pipe it should be fine.. ive been youtubing clips of exhausts and it seems like the flowmaster with stock headers sounds alittle louder to me.. doesnt seem to raspy.. like i previously said, i had a flowmaster 40 series on my 95 z28 but it had pacesetter LTs and no cat and it sounded great at idle and normal drive, but getting down on it, it was alittle raspy.. but overall i liked the sound i had.. then again, that was a LT1 motor and i now have an LS1.. i guess its all about personal preference huh?

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

check out ls1sounds.com

white
    1998 Trans Am

thanks for that.. i knew there was a soundboard for that.. just couldnt find it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If price is an issue, I have found that the cheap "turbo" style mufflers often have a nice sound. Not sure about fitment though on an F-body.

white
    1998 Trans Am

i have decided to just go with the flowmaster and 4 inch stainless tips.. its going to be about the same if i order from tsp and pay the labor to weld it all on so may as well get it done here locally

Thread Information