Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Exclamation Eroneous Codes On & Off

Just completed installing Motive 3:73 ring & pinion, 3200-3400 Stall, Predator Cam 228/232 duration at .050, Manton push rods, 1.7 valve lift ratio, Comp Cams Springs and along with my previous mods getting 390 H/P to the rear wheels. Now the Kooks are earning their keep.
    My question/situation is that first of all the Trac Control OFF light comes on frequently. You have to let it stay on a minute or two and then push the button and the Trac is back on. Then the Service Engine Soon light has been coming on and then mysteriously will go off. Usually when you stop for fuel. A local well known tuner dialed it in but is struggling finding the causes. The engine really sounds & runs great. Would it be feasible to send the PCM back to Frost who previously did a mail order tune for me that was 100% trouble free ? I would like to get a second opinion on the current tune but have no idea who in my area has the reputation and skill to do a professional job. I know a live tune is more exact. I live in Northern NJ and would appreciate a referral if anyone here can help. I've heard negative comments here regarding Predator cams but this stick has a mean rumble at 1100 idle and response is instant.
    Last edited by Redrokit8; 07-20-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What code(s) does it throw when the light comes on? Did you remove the sensors from the backing plate before pulling the axles? If not, it is possible that one got damage when you shoved the axle in to remove the C-clip. Also, check to ensure that your connectors at the sensors are secure and that a pin didn't get bent.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree with jeff.....sounds like you have a bad or damaged abs sensor. The abs light never comes on though? As far as the ses light you need to pull the code to narrow that down. It could be a whole list of things.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Well, both lights have not come back in 200 miles of mixed driving. Here's what happened. I was doing mostly in-town stop & go the other day when the temperature here was just about 100 degrees. I was getting real pissed off because the Trac Contrl and Service Engine Soon warnings were coming on. All of a sudden I see the red "Check Gauges" warning light up. To my amazement the engine temperature reading was just touching the 260 mark on the gauge. I immediately turned off the motor, lifted the hood to see if there was any coolant leaks. Couldn't see anything out of the normal and the hoses were very firm with pressure. I figured that I would wait a while and let things cool off before starting it again. In about 10 minutes into the waiting I heard some really active gurgling which sounded like air trying to escape the cooling system. I started it up and immediately the engine temperature went down to normal which in my case is 200-210 degrees. Drove it 25 miles home and not a code or warning came on. My guess is that there was an air pocket that was preventing coolant circulation and it bled itself out ? I did have to add approx 1 quart of Dex Cool. I have heard that when some of the warnings come on it can trigger other messages that aren't necessarily accurate ? All I know is since then no warnings or codes have been thrown. Motor runs like a bear. I did check the sensors and connections and they are fine. Thanks for that tip. I have another question which I will open a new posting for.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I can't see how one code would lead to the other. You may want to inspect your cooling system as the thermostat may have been stuck due to something other than an air pocket. The surge you heard was probably boiling coolant -- 260 is rather hot, not that our stock temp gauge is all that accurate.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I understand what you're saying but it's rather funny that neither light has come back on. I do think it had to do with an air pocket. The sound was like a bleeding air sound and immediately the temp gauge started going down. Yes it could have been a stuck thermostat but has not raised it's ugly head again. I have let it idle for long periods of time with the A/C on max and the gauge stays right at 200. I merely assumed that the service engine light was lit due to the engine not cooling properly. Also don't forget I had to add about a quart of Dex Cool. The coolant check stick read full before this instance. Afterward it was quite clear it needed more. Of course the engine had been apart the week before. It may seem like wishful thinking but in this case, no news, so far, has been all good news.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Forgot to mention, if you are going by the stock dash temp gauge that thing is an estimator at best. Only MY1998 cars had actual working temp gauges. Our car runs in the range of 185 to 194 degrees consistantly, as confirmed by a scanner, and the dash gauge always reads 205 or so. When I flushed the coolant, I airlocked the thermostat and the temps climbed to around 224 degrees before I shut it down. Again, the dash gauge read right about 205 the entire time. Absent a scanner or aftermarket gauge, a laser temp gun is a good way to verify temps and can be had for around $50.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Excellent advice. Thanks.

Thread Information