Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine failure

Impounded

Engine failure

Ok. Throughout a few threads ive stated my engines failing and what to do..
    A rebuild for $4800 (which I was quoted) is rediculous.
    I've heard someone sells a ls6 for $3600. And tsp has a 427 ls7 for around $7500.
    Yeah yeah "build up ur suspension" but I'm not gonna dump money in my suspension and watch it sit in my garage.
    I can't seem to get straight forward answers on this...
    "What all is needed for a swap?"
    The engine will stay stock for a couple of years. I just want more power (for when I can get it to the ground after a suspension upgrade)
    Budget pending likely around $10k

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Ok. Throughout a few threads ive stated my engines failing and what to do..
    A rebuild for $4800 (which I was quoted) is rediculous.
    I've heard someone sells a ls6 for $3600. And tsp has a 427 ls7 for around $7500.
    Yeah yeah "build up ur suspension" but I'm not gonna dump money in my suspension and watch it sit in my garage.
    I can't seem to get straight forward answers on this...
    "What all is needed for a swap?"
    The engine will stay stock for a couple of years. I just want more power (for when I can get it to the ground after a suspension upgrade)
    Budget pending likely around $10k
    Decide what you want, then look at some of the crate motor packages. You can find a reasonable deal, I'll pm you some links.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

PM sent

For a swap, you just need to figure out which engine you want to go with, then I am sure someone who has done it before will chime in.

Black 99 A4 TransAm
    2000 MY Corvette

I wanted the same thing for my 2000 Corvette so I looked around here and on TECH and found an low mile LS3 out of a new Camaro. I did all the work and for less than 5Gs I was making 455RWHP and 468RWTQ, the LS3 heads are killer right out of the box, just add a smallish cam and you have a driver with great street manners and enough torque to run low 10s.

Good luck to ya, Tom

Impounded
    Well my question is are these engines plug and play with the stock ls1 setup or will i have some guesswork and have to buy a whole new upgraded fuel system, oil systems, etc etc?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I might have missed it...

But you 100% your engine is out?

Black 99 A4 TransAm
    2000 MY Corvette

Well my question is are these engines plug and play with the stock ls1 setup or will i have some guesswork and have to buy a whole new upgraded fuel system, oil systems, etc etc?
    To answer that question truthfully YES and NO, it will take some changes to the tune that will require HPtuners or that other flash programmer. The required hardware will be an LS2 throttlebody, LS2/6 MAF and a converter box for the 58X crank and 4x cam reluctors or just change the crank wheel to a 24X and run an LS2 upper cam gear. This swap has been done before so there are no secrets here. If you call LPE in Decator, Indiana they have done quite a few. Maybe an LS2 whould be more swap friendly for ya but less cubes and heads that need to be ported to make em work.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by LS3torque View Post
    To answer that question truthfully YES and NO, it will take some changes to the tune that will require HPtuners or that other flash programmer. The required hardware will be an LS2 throttlebody, LS2/6 MAF and a converter box for the 58X crank and 4x cam reluctors or just change the crank wheel to a 24X and run an LS2 upper cam gear. This swap has been done before so there are no secrets here. If you call LPE in Decator, Indiana they have done quite a few. Maybe an LS2 whould be more swap friendly for ya but less cubes and heads that need to be ported to make em work.
    Well the TSP LS7 can come in 24X aNd the LS3 6.2L is another consideration.
    What that LPE in Decator?

At Mr. luo...shop says its only a matter of time

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

here's my opinion on your situation...

buy a used replacement Ls1 and swap engines. then clean it up and sell it. consider it a lesson learned so when you are older and more mature you can aquire one of these cars again and know how to respect, treat it, maintain it, and work on it.

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    here's my opinion on your situation...

buy a used replacement Ls1 and swap engines. then clean it up and sell it. consider it a lesson learned so when you are older and more mature you can aquire one of these cars again and know how to respect, treat it, maintain it, and work on it.
    Seems like a waste of quite a bit of money?

I'd say if you want to kind of follow those lines, buy another car and save the T/A til you're older and then swap and work on it.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Mahalik View Post
    Seems like a waste of quite a bit of money?

I'd say if you want to kind of follow those lines, buy another car and save the T/A til you're older and then swap and work on it.
    buying a used ls1 in a range of 1500-2200 is cheaper than doing a rebuild in his case. his engine is toast. thats not even 1/2 the price he was quoted for a rebuild as he stated in his first post.

also, he has openly stated the car has a lein on the title (unless this has changed since) so its not even paid off. keeping a car that you have a payment on, cannot drive due to needing a major repair, and depreciates while it sits, is good how exactly...?

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

buying a used ls1 in a range of 1500-2200 is cheaper than doing a rebuild in his case. his engine is toast. thats not even 1/2 the price he was quoted for a rebuild as he stated in his first post.

also, he has openly stated the car has a lein on the title (unless this has changed since) so its not even paid off. keeping a car that you have a payment on, cannot drive due to needing a major repair, and depreciates while it sits, is good how exactly...?
    He will make payments depending on his plans with the vehicle, in this case, I believe if he has plans to swap the engine either way he wont be able to drive it with time being.

Also note that if he was to keep this car, or sell it and buy another in the future, with engine swap in mind, he shouldnt be wasting any money on a third LS1 engine if he doesnt even want it?

But I guess you've already know my opinion Josh? I'll probably be stopping by pretty soon, and happy early birthday!

Impounded

also, he has openly stated the car has a lein ? on the title (unless this has changed since) so its not even paid off. keeping a car that you have a payment on, cannot drive due to needing a major repair, and depreciates while it sits, is good how exactly...?
    when did i say it wasnt paid off? bud i paid cash for it

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

when did i say it wasnt paid off? bud i paid cash for it
    i thought you had, if not, my bad. perhaps i have you confused with another member and their situation.

Black
    2000 SS

If you want simple straight forward plug and play with warranty and decent power get the crate LS6.

I would like to know what you have done to your car at the moment? fuel pump? injectors? because all that is also going to come into play depending on what type of set up you want.

Also if you go this route you would have more money left over from not going with the LS7 and spend the rest of the money on other parts of your car like suspension, clutch and rear you would be running faster times the with just the LS7. Most likely have more fun too!
    1967 Camaro - LS1 T56 project
    2003 Z06 - Procharged and LTs
    2001 Honda Civic EX - DD
    2005 Kawaski KFX400
    2000 Camaro SS m6 - 523rwhp 468rwtq - (Sold)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My friend trashed his engine in his 98 TA, he got a used LS1 off Ebay for pretty cheap. Worked out good for him and runs good.

Impounded
    ^^^
    its all good.
    i believe im going with the TSP LS7 427
    they offer it in aluminum and 24X tooth Reluctor Wheel and a conversion kit that includes the LS2 timing cover with camshaft position sensor, LS2 valley cover, LS2 lifter trays, LS2 timing set, and the necessary cam sensor and knock sensor harness extensions needed to install any LS2 or LS7 engine in an LS1 vehicle.
    Ill need a new TB and Intake which i need to decide what to do there... FAST 102? or a LSX Intake from crate engine depot?
    then i can just swap the oil pan along with the oil pump pickup tube and then my fuel system.
    What about ignition coils, coil brackets, shields, plug wires, gaskets?? Dyno that and after about $10K ill be set...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

What about ignition coils, coil brackets, shields, plug wires, gaskets??
    You can use the stock LS1 coils, brackets, shields(what shields are you talking about?) and wires, I believe.
    You're gonna use LS7 gaskets (although some will be the same as LS1)

Black
    2000 SS

Are you buying the short block or long block?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Arrow

If you're looking for "plug" and play" the major things you need to have to make any engine work in your T/A:

- 24-tooth reluctor wheel on the crank
    - Wet sump oil pump...a dry sump conversion would be a lot more work than you're looking to do. Texas-Speed offers LS7 engines with wet sump cranks.
    - If you go with a Gen IV motor (LS2, LS3, LS7, LQ9), you'll need a conversion kit for the Gen III LS1 to Gen IV...this includes the Gen IV Valley and Timing Covers, extension/conversion wires for the Camshaft Position and Knock Sensors, and a Timing Chain and Sprockets for a Gen IV motor (to compliment the front mount Cam Position Sensor).

Everything else should swap right over.

Like LS3torque said, you'll need to tune your stock computer to compliment your new motor.

Lastly, here is my personal suggestion. When you finally decide on a new motor, take the opportunity to add some performance upgrades...bigger cam shaft, ported heads, and FAST intake for starters. If your budget is only $10k, I was advise that you get a 402 LS2 and go from there. They're cheaper than the LS7 by a few grand and can be made to make more power.

Lastly, like you mentioned, you'll need suspension mods, but as long as you're aware of this, I'm sure you can wait a little while till you have the cash to upgrade your drivetrain and suspension.

Thread Information