Thread: EGR

EGR

I was told that 2000+ ws6 cars dont have EGR's but I was looking at this 2002 schematic and it shows one. (see ttachment). Is this schematic incorrect or is it not really a 2002 schematic.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

If memory serves me correctly it was 01 when the fbodies got rid of the egr.....that's when they started using the LS6 intake.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    If memory serves me correctly it was 01 when the fbodies got rid of the egr.....that's when they started using the LS6 intake.
    ...and you can help me out Orion if im wrong..but yeah my 02SS doesnt have an EGR but has an EGR looking gizmo(forgot the correct name for it) near the back of my firewall that connects to my air pump.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The 3800 F-body never lost it's EGR..

Probably a 3800 schematic.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    ...and you can help me out Orion if im wrong..but yeah my 02SS doesnt have an EGR but has an EGR looking gizmo(forgot the correct name for it) near the back of my firewall that connects to my air pump.
    I believe the part you're talking about is just a valve. The EGR and air systems do 2 completely different things. The EGR recirculates exhaust gas at idle and low rpm conditions to improve emissions and the air system injects fresh air into the exhaust stream on cold starts to heat the cats up faster. Not that you didn't know that.....just clarifying it for someone that might not.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The schematic posted by the OP does not set forth any information as to year or model. As stated, the '01 and '02 model year F-bodies do not have an EGR valve. Not sure about '00 models.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I believe the part you're talking about is just a valve. The EGR and air systems do 2 completely different things. The EGR recirculates exhaust gas at idle and low rpm conditions to improve emissions and the air system injects fresh air into the exhaust stream on cold starts to heat the cats up faster. Not that you didn't know that.....just clarifying it for someone that might not.
    Yeah well i didnt know i didnt have an EGR until an emissions talk on another website brought it up..The ''gizmo'' is attatched to the air system behind the driverside valve but it stands alone not hooked up to the block in any way...it looks exactly like an EGR(but its not!) I took it off to see what the deal was if it needed cleaning but there is nothing to really clean.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

earlier years didn't have that on the air system.....my 98 didn't. It was just hoses plumbed to the check valves. Not sure why they changed it.....just know that they did.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^ Yeah the hose goes from the air pump(up front)-along the top of the wheel hub-to the check valve(dr.side)-into the EGR -lookin thing-out the back of it another runs to the (psgr side) check valve and out and around,,,,anyway bottom line is its not and EGR! Whew....lol Thanks..

It ws uploaded on the internet as 2002 transam but I also am guessing its a 3800

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yeah,, the Buick 3.8 lost it's smog pump about the same time they changed over to the 3800 blocks in the late 80's, early 90's.

It retained the EGR system though throughout it's production run.

The similarities of the 2 harnesses and under hood layout can be confusing sometimes between the LS and 3800 f-bodies.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Some schematics are better than others. The ones in my Haynes books are for 1999-2002. We all know there where a few changes in those years. I found some mistakes in wire colors on mine too.

Btw 2000's have the EGR. 0rion is right it was 2001 when they got rid of it.

Thread Information