Black
    1998 formula trans am

Dropped the fuel tank today

Ok guys a couple questions I need some help on. Working on my 98 formula LS1. You guys were 100 percent right about the fuel fuel pressure regulator in the tank(shhhh dont tell anybody I said that). Ok I bought this fuel pump off ebay item number 220525313270 the length is the same, the wiring pigtail is different but came with a pigtail to splice in, the pump came with a new screen with one inlet for the bottom of the pump and it is a smaller diameter so it doesnt fit inside the plastic holder tight like the stock one in there.

Questions
    1. My stock pump had a very large screen/filter at the bottom and it had two holes, one for end up pump/pickup and the other hole had the famous regulator line running to it. What do I do here? The new screen only has one hole just for the pump.

2. what is that sensor for at the top of the pump? when i pulled the tank down the orange wire was chewed up and must have been holding by and single strand and is now broke or was already broken.

3. what effect would the sensor do to running the car?

I guess thats it for now Im exhausted from a poker run the straight to the tank pull. If you need pics I will get some up. THANKSSS

Link to other post

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141685

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

you needed to get the entire fuel pump module. if the regulator it bad its one entire unit. i know because i just replaced the entire fuel pump module in my '98 TA. it was a bitch, since i had to do it twice because the fuel feed line, inside the tank on the pump shot off and was pumping back into the tank. so put a small hose clamp around it.

you can order a new fuel pump module from the dealership for $450. MSRP is $609. if you need the part number, i think i might still have it. it come with everything but the fuel pressure sensor thats you need to swap over from the old fuel pump. comes off with a flahead and some light pulling.

more than anything post up some pics and point out where your issues are, and we can go from there

Black
    1998 formula trans am

Im pretty sure I dont need the entire sending unit assembly with pump. I was able to easily remove the pump from the sending unit and Im sure lots of guys on here have already done this.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

then youre lucky. the car i bought had been stting for 4-5 yrs and mine was a rusted POS. at first i thought i could just get a pump but the entire module was toast. i had the pump out as well, but it was a total loss

Black
    1998 formula trans am

Oh I got ya the sending unit is perfect still:-)

Thread Information