Thread: Drifting a T/A?

Red
    1997 Firebird M5

Drifting a T/A?

Firebird International Raceway is having an event on the 17th where they are going to have street drags, wet skid pad, and wet and dry drifting. I have always wanted to get onto a wet track and throw the T/A around but now that the time is here, I'm not really sure how well it's going to go. How hard should it be with an automatic and how much of an idiot would I look like drifting aTrans Am with a bunch of tuners who have been doing it for a long time? Would it be as simple as flicking the wheel pretty hard and powering into it or would using the handbrake be easier? Not sure if many of you are experienced with drifting or not but any advice helps. Thanks.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I'm not sure I'd drift an auto to be honest. Not only do I imagine it much harder but the tranny seems like it'll take a much harder hit. If you do decide to go through with it be careful, our cars aren't very good at handling and they have massive amounts of torque

White
    1998 Trans Am

A 6spd would be ok but gonna get sloppy with the auto. You have no real control trying to drift it without a manual. Not enough contral over the car and way you lay the power on.

Red
    1997 Firebird M5

Yeah I was wondering about the handling issue too haha. I've done some very nice and clean slides on the street with no one around or going around a roundabout but never had the opportunity to go on a track and do it. I found a video on YouTube of some guy drifting his 30th T/A which was an auto and he actually did pretty well. He said he just kept it in second the whole time and powered into it. We'll see how it goes I guess. Ill do my best to get a video and put it up for you guys.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i wouldnt try it with an auto lol

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Throw the car in 1st and ease up into the turn and then gun it, you have enough power to make the car slide (especially if its wet) without using the handbrake. I would watch i though as this might heat up your tranny some

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'm sure there are many who can drift our cars, but ours wouldn't be the easiest to learn on. Not b/c of the auto so much, but that were feet longer and several hundreds of pound heavier than the typical drift car.

Like most things, you never know till you try, and practice practice practice. Learning how much over steer you need with proper amount of throttle.

Thread Information