Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Does anyone know of a Bike Rack that works on T/A?

I really enjoy riding my Mountain Bike. I usually go with a friend who has a rack on the back of their SUV. However, sometimes they can't go and I am left with the option of sticking it in the back of my car, or not going. I will normally not go because I don't want to damage my interior by taking the bike in and out.

I have been contemplating trunk mounted ones, however I don't see where it would attach since our trunk lids are different from the norm. Other than some type of hitch, which I always thought looked weird on cars, I am looking for suggestions of a type of rack. If you have one and could provide a picture, that would be great.

Now I know some will say, get a second car, but I can't. Plus a rack is cheaper.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

i saw one somewhere, they do exist, mounted from underneith IIRC

Black
    1998 Trans AM

come on man. Are you really wanting to ride a bike that bad? all ur gunna do is mess up ur paint job! Is it really worth it?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by MurderedOutTA View Post
    come on man. Are you really wanting to ride a bike that bad? all ur gunna do is mess up ur paint job! Is it really worth it?
    It's just a car. It can be repainted, if it comes to that.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Not to be a dick but you could aways buy another car.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

wont be as cool as this guy

2011 Prius

You could always fold the rear seat flat and put it in. I think it would fit? I slept in my old trans am with the rear seat folded flat and passenger seat folded foward, I was pretty relaxed. So I don't see why a bike would not slide in?

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

As bad as this sounds, you can put a hitch on it, then buy the bike racks that slide into the hitch. Did that for the wifes Acura.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by str8poolbanger View Post
    As bad as this sounds, you can put a hitch on it, then buy the bike racks that slide into the hitch. Did that for the wifes Acura.
    +1 on that

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Just ride you bike and leave the car parked at home, or leave the damn bike at home and dive your car...or just lay your bike in the back and tie down your hatch...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    It's just a car. It can be repainted, if it comes to that.
    In your first post you mentioned not wanting to tear up the interior pulling the bike in and out, yet you comment it's just a car that can be repainted???

Just a heads up, it's cheaper and easier to replace interior parts I for one, would rather live with a scratch on a plastic interior panel.

I would first suggest buying a beater truck, they are cheap enough. But if that's not an option I would simply install a small hitch on the car and use the bike racks designed to slip into the receiver,,,at least you would save your paint that way.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    In your first post you mentioned not wanting to tear up the interior pulling the bike in and out, yet you comment it's just a car that can be repainted???

Just a heads up, it's cheaper and easier to replace interior parts I for one, would rather live with a scratch on a plastic interior panel.

I would first suggest buying a beater truck, they are cheap enough. But if that's not an option I would simply install a small hitch on the car and use the bike racks designed to slip into the receiver,,,at least you would save your paint that way.
    Agree, I bought a 98 Plymouth Voyager 4cyl with 194,xxx miles on it. With in 3 weeks, it had just under 197,000 hard miles... Well I busted a whole in the oil pan and drove it 10 miles home when the motor blew up lol... But I only paid $700 and scrapped it for $250. I say buy one of those.

Junior Member Last of the Breed's Avatar

Peweter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    I really enjoy riding my Mountain Bike. I usually go with a friend who has a rack on the back of their SUV. However, sometimes they can't go and I am left with the option of sticking it in the back of my car, or not going. I will normally not go because I don't want to damage my interior by taking the bike in and out.

I have been contemplating trunk mounted ones, however I don't see where it would attach since our trunk lids are different from the norm. Other than some type of hitch, which I always thought looked weird on cars, I am looking for suggestions of a type of rack. If you have one and could provide a picture, that would be great.

Now I know some will say, get a second car, but I can't. Plus a rack is cheaper.

If you like mountain biking that much, maybe you should just get a different vehicle.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

God whats with everybody attacking this poor guy!! Not very nice guys, its his car and he can do as he pleases with it I for one think it wpuld be pretty cool to have your bike hitched on your car and drive your car then get to ride your bike and get a good workout and then have a nice cruise back home but yea man looks like the better option is to put a hitch on your car and install the bike rack that way, hey you could always attach some of those balls that hang to the ditch

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you get a trunk mounted one you need one for a hatch, it should have longer straps to get to the top of the glass. I have another car for the bike but I prefer a hitch mounted rack. My friend has a hitch to pull his boat and it sits up nice and tight.

arctic white
    99 Trans am

I had the same problem the only way I could fit my bike in the T/A was to take one tire off the bike and lay the back seat down and fold the passenger seat forward. I now have a POS honda for daily use with a bike rack on it and it does scratch the paint all up but I don't care.
    Ive seen f-bodies pulling jet skis and boats so a hitch should be OK.

arctic white
    99 Trans am

Here's some reading if your considering a hitch
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...tch-my-ta.html

Thread Information