Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Does anyone have a shock/spring install video or pics ?

I've never used a spring compressor before and would like to get an idea of the removal and install procedure. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

valve spring compressor or coil spring compressor? more info please.
    2002 Camaro Z28, A4, MS4 cam, underdrive pulley, Pacesetter LTs with ORX true duals
    2000 Camaro SS, M6, SLP LTs with ORX true duals

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

my bad re-read the post rear springs aint bad to change. hardest thing for the front is swinging the whole assembly back in. make sure you got a buddy to help you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Also get some PB blaster and soak the top nut on the front shocks once you get them off the car. A lot of times they have rusted out. If you're lucky the pb blaster will help you break them loose. If you're like my case, I had to get a BFH and a chisel to cut the nut off. I didn't care for the nut/shock/springs because I was replacing with other stuff, I just needed the rubber boot and mounting hardware so I could transfer it to the new springs and shocks.

The strut compressor is easy to use in theory however it can quickly become a PITA if not placed in the right positions.

Any parts store let's you rent them. You want the one that goes on the outside, not the inside. It should have what looks like clamps on both ends connected by a long threaded bolt. Make sure you have the bolt head sides on the same direction or you'll be spending a lot of time flipping back and forth. Place the clamps opposite sides from each other and take turns tightening down. With stock springs you tighten till the pressure has come of the shock. Aftermarket springs can be a little harder to compress. Once the pressure is off now you can work on the nut that is on top of the shock. This is were I had problems with a rusted nut like I stated above.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

They are easy to figure out, just a bitch to use.

I've heard of people taking them in and getting someone to compress them on a machine and such for like 20 bucks or something.

I'd find that to be well worth it if I were to do it over again.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    They are easy to figure out, just a bitch to use.

I've heard of people taking them in and getting someone to compress them on a machine and such for like 20 bucks or something.

I'd find that to be well worth it if I were to do it over again.
    local shop offered me that deal, would have taken it if I had a way to get the shop

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

first time i did my Z it took us 3 hours to lower the front After that i got my SS and we lowered it took 30 mins. Its not hard to do but when you run into troubles like the rusted nut as before mentioned it can turn into a pain. Big hammer, floor jack some PB blast and alot of cussing goes along way.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Ok, I've got the idea of the mechanics involved.
    I'm thinking that I take the fronts to a auto machine shop service for the springs and I'll tackle the rears with a compressor.
    Question: Do I need to use a compressor to remove and re-install the fronts ? It sounds like I have to compress the spring in order to get it bolted back up properly ?
    Thanks, still learning !!!!!!!!!!!
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    Thanks Justin. I'm on the video now.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Ok, I've got the idea of the mechanics involved.
    I'm thinking that I take the fronts to a auto machine shop service for the springs and I'll tackle the rears with a compressor.
    Question: Do I need to use a compressor to remove and re-install the fronts ? It sounds like I have to compress the spring in order to get it bolted back up properly ?
    Thanks, still learning !!!!!!!!!!!
    rears you wont need a compressor, you will need to recompress the fronts to get the new shocks on.

doesn't say so in the video but buy some white lithium grease (in a spray can) and coat it on everything that has rust on it, you really want to shield it from further damage

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Are you doing both shocks and springs?

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Are you doing both shocks and springs?
    Yes. Might as well take both on. I'm thinking I'll do the Bilstein shocks and probably Stanos spring. The Koni's I would love but just too much for my budget plus the Bilstein will be a big improvement over stock.
    I really appreciate the interest and responses.

1998 Trans Am

I have the SLP valved bilstiens, they are great, only issue is that they came with instructions that were completely incomprehensible, so be sure to remember what parts you took off and in what order so you can put the new hardware on the same way.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yes. Might as well take both on. I'm thinking I'll do the Bilstein shocks and probably Stanos spring. The Koni's I would love but just too much for my budget plus the Bilstein will be a big improvement over stock.
    I really appreciate the interest and responses.
    I can't remember every step so bare with me.

Once you get the front shock assembly out of the vehicle just set that aside. If I remember correctly, you shouldn't even need to take that apart. (compress them)

If you were interested in having someone else compress the new set of springs/shocks, just take in the new set to have them put together. Should be really simple for you.

I think, and let me make sure i say that because it's been a few years, but you'll need to take off the bolt that holds the shock to the mount. So you can reuse the shock mount. You may need new shock mounts.

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

It's easy to do! If you decide to do it I can walk you threw it ! I'm waiting for alex(tater) to get his shocks so we can do emm... If we beat you to it I will record the whole thing!

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cancam99ss View Post
    It's easy to do! If you decide to do it I can walk you threw it ! I'm waiting for alex(tater) to get his shocks so we can do emm... If we beat you to it I will record the whole thing!
    Ok, that would be a tremendous help. You'll most likely beat me to it and I'll be grateful to see your instructions.
    Thanks again guys.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

If you are doing both at the same time going from Stock shocks and Stock springs to aftermarket springs and shocks it will be very easy. You wont have to worry about the rusted bolt or any pain in the ass like that. You can rent the spring compressor tool from autozone and do it yourself. I did mine myself and it was pretty easy except when i got to the nut, but you will not have that problem. Go to LS1howto.com they have a decent write up, the only thing theyre missing is the rusted nut part.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    If you are doing both at the same time going from Stock shocks and Stock springs to aftermarket springs and shocks it will be very easy. You wont have to worry about the rusted bolt or any pain in the ass like that. You can rent the spring compressor tool from autozone and do it yourself. I did mine myself and it was pretty easy except when i got to the nut, but you will not have that problem. Go to LS1howto.com they have a decent write up, the only thing theyre missing is the rusted nut part.
    Got it. I understand that the entire process is much easier when doing both new at the same time. I plan to go to an auto supply with a service shop and have the new front springs put on the shocks for approx $20 per side. The only question remaining, because I have gotten various opinions, is do I need to compress the NEW front springs when installing them already mounted on the shock ? I've had some advice telling me if everything is new I can simply take out the front units and install the assembled new units without compressing the spring portion.
    I'll review the LS1howto write up.
    Last edited by Redrokit8; 12-15-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: additional item

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Got it. I understand that the entire process is much easier when doing both new at the same time. I plan to go to an auto supply with a service shop and have the new front springs put on the shocks for approx $20 per side. The only question remaining, because I have gotten various opinions, is do I need to compress the NEW front springs when installing them already mounted on the shock ? I've had some advice telling me if everything is new I can simply take out the front units and install the assembled new units without compressing the spring portion.
    I'll review the LS1howto write up.
    If you are talking about putting the spring onto the shock, then yes. If you are talking about putting the spring/shock onto the car, no.

Thread Information